Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jakub P.

Please, accept my apologies, Lady ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blackpearl77

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie here...very new.  I haven't even bought my first pipe yet!  I want to start smoking a pipe after watching many v-logs on youtube.  In fact, I've always wanted a pipe, i love the smell of that pipe tobacco......
    Anyway, as a newbie, I need lots of advise.  Can you tell me what pipe to start on and what type of tobacco?  I've told a few people that I want to start and have only got negative reactions so far, bad for your health etc etc and why start now (I'm nearly 40!).  Anyway in know im talking to the converted here but still advise would be nice.
    Hope to hear back form you all.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Where are you based? If there is a tobacconist that sells pipes nearby then they are a good resource and often have cheap basket pipes so that you are not laying out a lot of money for something you may not keep up. If not, then something like a Mr. Brog pearwood pipe from eBay is a cheap but reliable starter pipe. If the bug bites then there is a myriad of places to go from there! Aromatic pipe tobaccos are where most newcomers start, they are milder in flavour and in nicotine. Peterson make some nice ones that are widely available or possible to order online from themselves, a 50g tin will set you back about €23.

For some excellent videos on pipe smoking methods, I would recommend Alan Kerslake (rip) on YouTube. Learning how to pack and tamp properly as well as actual puffing techniques take time and vary with different tobaccos. There are some pipe groups on Facebook, PSOI (pipe smokers of Ireland) is a great group of people who are only too happy to help you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blackpearl77

Thanks phantom for your reply.
    I'm in Dublin so was thinking of going to fox's on grafton Street and buying a pipe set for 40euro (pipe, tobacco, etc). Is that a good idea or bad? Am I better to buy all separately?
    I'm watching Matches860 and muttnchop on you tube...
    I see alot of people suggest starting on a corn pipe but I just don't like the look of them...any recommendations for a first pipe?

The kit from Fox's is a good place to start, you will be getting a decent starter pipe without breaking the bank. Don't be afraid to ask them for advice too, they can recommend a tobacco to your taste. A side firing (not a cigar torch lighter) is a good investment so that you don't roast your thumb lighting the pipe!

Corncobs are dirt cheap in America ($5ish) but imported here and are expensive for what they are, £10 or so on UK sites. I don't like them either but they are popular with Americans for trying new tobaccos and for starting out as tobacco is also dirt cheap compared to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Does anyone know if Petersons will be doing the factory tour this December? Last years one was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭BigBoi83

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anybody could help answer a few questions for me.

What are your go to pipe websites if any?
    Are Petersons the only company that uses the P-lip stem?

My dad's pipe broke on him recently (an old petersons full bent, possibly 313/314) It's the only pipe he smoked, all day everyday. So I'm trying to find him something the same but the mouthpiece is making it very difficult.
    We live in Cork, so no B&M shops apart from Bandon which is to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

BigBoi83 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Was wondering if anybody could help answer a few questions for me.

What are your go to pipe websites if any? (If you want to buy pipe tobacco I suggest using The Danish Pipe Shop. They have an extensive range. https://www.danishpipeshop.com/l/Tobacco)
    Are Petersons the only company that uses the P-lip stem? (Yes)

My dad's pipe broke on him recently (an old petersons full bent, possibly 313/314) It's the only pipe he smoked, all day everyday. So I'm trying to find him something the same but the mouthpiece is making it very difficult.
    We live in Cork, so no B&M shops apart from Bandon which is to far. (You can order a new 313/314 from Peterson's and they will post it to you. Or at least they use to)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banuska

Hi all, hope some of you are still around in 2018. I've tried a couple of times to find the Irish Pipe Smokers page on FB but no luck. Anyone got a link?

I bought a Peterson pipe many years ago and smoked it maybe a handful of times, would like to get into it again. I'm in Tyrone, any other pipe smokers up this general direction? Feel free to say hello. Martin

It was renamed PSOI due FB changing regulations on groups that sell tobacco. Hopefully this link works for you

https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?sid=619069461462195&referrer=group&refid=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 banuska

Got it and sent a join request, thanks Thephantomsmask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Hi all,

Am a newbie to pipe smoking and to boards. I bought myself a Chacom Renard, and some Missouri Meerschamps seconds.

I'm not a regular smoker, pretty much only when I go camping.
    Will the tobacco keep OK in the tins they are sold in for months on end? I see some people using jars, but I like the small size of the tin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Will the tobacco keep OK in the tins they are sold in for months on end? I see some people using jars, but I like the small size of the tin.
    Tins are OK for a couple of months (especially in our climate). Unopened, sealed tins are good for years.
    If you buy tobacco in a larger, 100g tin, putting the tobacco into a jar makes sense. Then for traveling just take a few fills with you into a small, handy, square tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Thanks for that. I get out camping less frequently than 2 months at a time especially in winter. I guess I'll just have to camp for longer periods of time and use up the tin.

Thanks for that. I get out camping less frequently than 2 months at a time especially in winter. I guess I'll just have to camp for longer periods of time and use up the tin.
    BTW, here is a good solution for storing pipe tobacco. I recently (accidentally) bought a pate in a jar like this one (in Aldi as far as I remember). After washing the jar I adopted it for tobacco. It is perfect for long time storage...

61eyFKsB2CL._SX466_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnnobarry

Hi

I was wondering does anyone know of any shop in Cork that sells pipe tobacco? I think it is impossible to find.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi

I was wondering does anyone know of any shop in Cork that sells pipe tobacco? I think it is impossible to find.
    Think the shop in the Camden Wharf building used to sell pipe tobacco. Not sure about now.

Otherwise, order online. https://jamesfox.ie (Dublin) says that their store is closed, but that they're still doing online orders. I'd say a lot of places would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnnobarry

Thanks the_syco for your reply. I think the shop in Camden Quay is closed down now. Guess I'll have to go online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Ok folks im new to he whole fantastic world of pipe smoking,so a burning question,is it possible to get a decent OTC tobacco in ireland?

lolokeogh wrote: »
    Ok folks im new to he whole fantastic world of pipe smoking,so a burning question,is it possible to get a decent OTC tobacco in ireland?
    Good question. I haven't seen any pipe tobaccos locally. There are some shops in Dublin as far as I know, but you are looking for a decent product, so that may not be as easy to find here.

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Good question. I haven't seen any pipe tobaccos locally. There are some shops in Dublin as far as I know, but you are looking for a decent product, so that may not be as easy to find here.

yes there is a couple of places in dublin city that stock tobacco,and decent stuff as far as i can make out,but i do remember a couple of uncles of mine many moons ago would be buying over the counter from shops/newsagents..if it is still the case i would imagine choice is small,i see tesco uk sell condor,st bernard and clan?and i do not think any would be rated high?

I do remember a couple of uncles of mine many moons ago would be buying over the counter from shops/newsagents..if it is still the case i would imagine choice is small,i see tesco uk sell condor,st bernard and clan?and i do not think any would be rated high?
    There are a few thousands of tobacco blends available on the global market. Having a choice of only two or three of a very average quality doesn't help. Also, choosing a tobacco blend is about personal taste. It depends what type of tobacco you prefer, so you may be the lucky one and be OK with one of these from Tesco.

There are a few thousands of tobacco blends available on the global market. Having a choice of only two or three of a very average quality doesn't help. Also, choosing a tobacco blend is about personal taste. It depends what type of tobacco you prefer, so you may be the lucky one and be OK with one of these from Tesco.

yeah i hear you,ah i will take a spin in to the city and see what is on offer,as you say is right a better chance of getting some brands that i will like for sure

yeah i hear you,ah i will take a spin in to the city and see what is on offer,as you say is right a better chance of getting some brands that i will like for sure
    Have you been smoking for long and what type of tobacco blends you prefer?

Have you been smoking for long and what type of tobacco blends you prefer?

No im only starting,i have 2 pipes lying there waiting,i did dabble a few years back but i can not even remember what tobacco i was using at the time,and defo over the counter stuff.so relay in my situation its maybe best to visit these shops in person.or i suppose order online if thats possible from other countrys,the whole idea off having a range of tobaccos in my collection appeals to me,so yeah im just starting out.

No im only starting,i have 2 pipes lying there waiting,i did dabble a few years back but i can not even remember what tobacco i was using at the time,and defo over the counter stuff.so relay in my situation its maybe best to visit these shops in person.or i suppose order online if thats possible from other countrys,the whole idea off having a range of tobaccos in my collection appeals to me,so yeah im just starting out.
    Maybe first simple question to answer yourself is - what type of tobacco you like - aromatic or rather natural without toppings (if it's not too early for that question). That would be a good start. I was smoking aromatics for years, but I don't buy any aromatic tobaccos anymore. It is like eating sweets versus salads.
    Then on the other side of the natural tobaccos are so called English blends which are smoky, peaty type tobaccos (any blend contains latakia is like that). They are not for me either, but some people smoke them exclusively.
    Buying online makes sense once you know what you like and what you are looking for. Nice way of trying out a lot of various blends also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Welcome to the pipe community. I found popping into a shop very helpful when I was starting off. I bought my first pipe from a young guy in James Fox, he was very good helping me choose. Unfortunately I forget his name.

Just try as many tobacco as you can to find what you like. There are only tiny selections available in Ireland but you can buy online from Europe or USA, for better value for money.
    Bear in mind to keep your orders small as anything over 2×50g tin orders could be seized by customs. Some companies may divide your order into smaller batches.

I would advise you to try the forums at pipemagazine. There is a well of information available.

Welcome to the pipe community. I found popping into a shop very helpful when I was starting off. I bought my first pipe from a young guy in James Fox, he was very good helping me choose. Unfortunately I forget his name.

Just try as many tobacco as you can to find what you like. There are only tiny selections available in Ireland but you can buy online from Europe or USA, for better value for money.
    Bear in mind to keep your orders small as anything over 2×50g tin orders could be seized by customs. Some companies may divide your order into smaller batches.

I would advise you to try the forums at pipemagazine. There is a well of information available.

Thank you,and sorry for the late reply,i have been on to the pipemagazine as you suggest and its realy good,no a question for anyone on here,where to order tobacco online?(not sure if it is allowed to be posted so maybe pm?)..because i went on a mission this last week and tryed every shop that might stock OTC and nothing,so leaves the big to brick and morter stores in dublin city,fox i was in and again they have a very very small selection,petersons i have not been,again they do not seem to do online orders for tobacco?so any suggestions or advice is much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I've decided to take my late father's pipes out of retirement. He passed away a few years ago and I held on to his pipes. Most of them were presents from me anyway !! usually a turn down Peterson.

His favourite one has been sitting beside his photo for the last few years and I've decided to get it cleaned out and back in to action.

Is there anything I need to be wary of using a pipe that hasn't been lit in a few years?

It might sound silly but I'm off the fags over a year and have been holding on to a Vape for dear life since ... I reckon I could get far more pleasure out of 30 mins with the pipe in the evening on the patio than I do with a vape all day long.

I got some tobacco from Foxes delivered (Ardagh & Anniversary blend) ... I've cleaned out as well as I think I can with pipe cleaners and a his 3in1 tool ..being careful not to scratch anything ... then a final clean with a pipe cleaner soaked in Jameson.

My dad will for ever be remembered for his pipe and I really do yearn for that smell and the comfort it alway brought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sounds like you're on top of things. Happy smoking!

Advertisement