Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Gold discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Ever since the commercial radio industry refused to take part in the DAB format, RTE refused to rollout Digital radio nation wide and quickly lost interest. DAB was never promoted. I have friends who live in DAB reception area and they never heard of the digital services, very few people know RTE Gold exist. Its sad and an end of an era.

We have much better radio services online, Irish Radio Player is fantastic. If it is possible RTE please continue R Gold online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Will and Rick on from this weekends 2pm

i shall have a go of that - getting fed of the 'pumped up kicks' show on Today FM on Saturday afternoons

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

A pitition was had to save Gold recently but has fallen on deaf ears by senior RTE management. Wikipedia saorview page states its switch off during April 2020. Something is going to give with RTE cost cutting and the digital radio channels are first and foremost to go.

SO the end is near such a sad pity been listening in more and more due to spending more time at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

So can anyone confirm that RTE Gold and the other RTE Digital Radio stations (RTE 2XM, Radio 1 Extra, RTE Junior, RTE Pulse) closing at Easter this year?

Hopefully they are not.

• Advertisement

So can anyone confirm that RTE Gold and the other RTE Digital Radio stations (RTE 2XM, Radio 1 Extra, RTE Junior, RTE Pulse) closing at Easter this year?

Hopefully they are not.

RTE are so tight-lipped about this which tells me they want it done and dusted, unlike Long Wave 252 where the switch off is going on since 2014, RTE made an announcement of extension well in advance of proposed switch off. I don't hear it yet regarding DAB radio. But we will wait and see. God only knows.

2.5 years ago RTE News Now on Digital TV/Saorview was meant to be axed. But it didnt happen..there was no annoucement on any decision being reversed either:

https://amp.independent.ie/business/media/rte-to-axe-tv-news-channel-as-services-hit-by-financial-woes-36393796.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Hopefully they are not.

I can't think of a single service that rte have actually gone through with terminating the past 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

2.5 years ago RTE News Now on Digital TV/Saorview was meant to be axed. But it didnt happen..there was no annoucement on any decision being reversed either:

https://amp.independent.ie/business/media/rte-to-axe-tv-news-channel-as-services-hit-by-financial-woes-36393796.html

Because there was no decision taken to actually close it .

All that story shows is some in RTE wanted it to close and briefed journalists trying to make it happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

RTE Gold have extended their live schedule to 7pm each weekday, but I think it's still going to close, maybe not April as what was originally planned but after this "situation" kind of calms down
    the streaming listenership figures will decline and so Dee will wield her hatchet.

People who have discovered Gold need to keep listening using the official links as they are monitored by RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

alzer100 wrote: »
    RTE Gold have extended their live schedule to 7pm each weekday, but I think it's still going to close, maybe not April as what was originally planned but after this "situation" kind of calms down
    the streaming listenership figures will decline and so Dee will wield her hatchet.

People who have discovered Gold need to keep listening using the official links as they are monitored by RTE.

Dee has talked about closing lot's of things but hasn't gone through with any of it.

Long_Wave wrote: »
    Dee has talked about closing lot's of things but hasn't gone through with any of it.

I only hope you are really Dee Woods ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I only hope you are really Dee Woods ðŸ˜

*Forbes

*Forbes

My apologies, I'm losing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I'm enjoying Michael Cahill in the drivetime slot. He does seem to get loads of requests. What would rte gold audience be? A few thousand? I think they won't close it down but will shut DAB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I'm enjoying Michael Cahill in the drivetime slot. He does seem to get loads of requests. What would rte gold audience be? A few thousand? I think they won't close it down but will shut DAB

The right move for RTE to do at this point is to keep RTE Pulse and RTE Gold on saorview and online, let them get rid of DAB.

Doubt many people listen on a "DAB" radio.

RTE should let Gold's listeners know when the station is to close as April has now come and gone. BTW happy it's still broadcasting.

The closing of the digital radio channels have been postponed, good news for people who enjoy DAB and RTE Gold, we can relax and enjoy listening to our favourite radio channels going well into the future. Don't know why RTE makes these announcements especially when they don't carry them out, there are only upsetting us.

• Advertisement

The closing of the digital radio channels have been postponed, good news for people who enjoy DAB and RTE Gold, we can relax and enjoy listening to our favourite radio channels going well into the future. Don't know why RTE makes these announcements especially when they don't carry them out, there are only upsetting us.

Not having a go and I do get that it looks like the closure of the digital stations has been postponed but is there any further clarification available other than "well into the future" or foreseeable future". Will RTE Gold still be broadcasting for the remainder of the year or just for the remainder of the lockdown phases?

Not having a go and I do get that it looks like the closure of the digital stations has been postponed but is there any further clarification available other than "well into the future" or foreseeable future". Will RTE Gold still be broadcasting for the remainder of the year or just for the remainder of the lockdown phases?

RTE are one organisation that keeps people in the dark, they make the most drastic announcements about cuts and then leave us scratching our heads. I feel they don't know what they are doing themselves.

A new online station goldradio.ie starrts official broadcasting tomorrow morning at 8am (I think) with a classic hits format. Apparently fronted by Mike Maloney. The opening of the online station is in response to RTE Gold's imminent closure
    Over to RTE now, this should be interesting.

A new online station goldradio.ie starrts official broadcasting tomorrow morning at 8am (I think) with a classic hits format. Apparently fronted by Mike Maloney. The opening of the online station is in response to RTE Gold's imminent closure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Are you for real? They didn't carry it out because there's a global pandemic going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Hahahah! Hilarious that this would be interesting. Yet another ONLINE station doing pretty much others have been doing for years. Playing the same old diet of oldies that Classic Hits plays. But yeh this will be a success where others have failed!

Probably have 30/40 streams at most.

Are you for real? They didn't carry it out because there's a global pandemic going on.

RTE should let people know the situation, they are very tight lipped, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, at least you gave a bit of clarity.

Yes, I see this and have tuned in, its very good, very welcoming and I hope Gold Radio will be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Gold Radio has been available on Radio Garden for a while. That's where I heard of it first.

There's a thread about that station:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058075147

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Loving the Top 100 Cover songs of all time, some covers by George Michael (I Can't Make You Love Me) and Paul Weller (Thinking of You) I'd never heard before :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement