Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

London Marathon 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Still nothing in todays post for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So there will be no emails until tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/LondonMarathon/status/1181503928795566080

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Got the annual rejection on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Unsurprisingly a no again for me - no email yet but registration site has been updated:
    https://hub.realbuzzregistrations.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Unsurprisingly a no again for me - no email yet but registration site has been updated:
    https://hub.realbuzzregistrations.com/

Same for me. Might do Paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Rejected. I'm devastated. Might never run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

P.F.O. for me too. Hopefully better luck in the Berlin ballot.

It's a no for mrs robinphs entry to the ballot, but that just means they put their name in the hat for one of the club places.

Expect there will be 6 places for our club as another nearby club is only track and field so donate their places to us. Then there is normally only about 8 or 9 people who put their names in the club ballot each year so those who miss out this year are pretty much guaranteed a place for 2021 as those who missed out the previous year get first refusal. Just have to remember to enter the various ballots each time and then every other year can get a place.

I know those options are not open to most of you guys, although you could always join an NI club, but it always amazes me all the people complaining about having been rejected umpteen times in the UK when relatively simple ways to get in without paying £2000 to a charity or travel company exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

A no for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

robinph wrote: »
    I know those options are not open to most of you guys, although you could always join an NI club, but it always amazes me all the people complaining about having been rejected umpteen times in the UK when relatively simple ways to get in without paying £2000 to a charity or travel company exist.

I doubt most clubs would be impressed with people from other parts of the country joining just to take spots in big races away from local runners.

Anyway PFO for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

A no here, guess just as well this time as my daughter’s communion is due to be on the same weekend. How to argue/justify attending a once in a lifetime event....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A no for me.
    Ah well 2021 might be my year

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

A no for me too. Didn't want to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

PFO just arrived as well, I'd actually forgotten I'd entered the ballot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I am in I think. Got the congratulations email.

Tried to pay for it, and payment failed. But money has disappeared from the card. Not sure what's going on. I am going to go and do some work now to calm me down for a while and see if I am not imagining things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I'm in, got the congrats email. Another lad in the club got in also, he just missed out by seconds on the GFA entry. He ran it in 2:58:15 this year but two toilet breaks cost him, so I'm delighted he's in again.
    Just when we both thought next weeks Skyline was our last runs of the year.

Am delighted but i really don't know if my body will take the road running training.

PCX wrote: »
    I doubt most clubs would be impressed with people from other parts of the country joining just to take spots in big races away from local runners.

Quite, but not suggesting you all join an NI club. It's just strange that so many people remain oblivious to just joining their own local club within the UK after claiming to have applied and been rejected for 10+ years on the trot. I'm sure there are people that after a decade of running have never entered another race or spoken to another runner about London Marathon entry, it just strikes me as odd for it to be such a common story and there are so many people so into the activity of running, yet so unaware of clubs after that amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Just received my annual comisserations email from London marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Year 7 of the saying no. Heard of one person that got it but that was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Another No here...again. Will put in for Berlin, hopefully have better luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No here as well. I've already entered Manchester for April.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A no for me as well. Clonakilty will have to do for now, I'm sure it's much better anyway :pac:

New sponsor for the marathon from 2022, so will mean a different coloured ribbon on the medals.

Obviously the London Marathon Facebook post about it is full of people blaming Virgin Money for the way the ballot is run. :confused:

Start times have just been announced, which wouldn't normally be worthy of a mention, but the mass start is now going off at 9:30am rather than 10:10 that it has done the previous few years:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/2020-virgin-money-london-marathon-start-times-confirmed/?fbclid=IwAR2osHzIpq-CPP80TxkoMf9W8BN3E9ulteeZWfaRA4zLgeqyP4rB1qkmS-0

This is presumably to give them a bit more time for the final finishers and road clearing to happen without needing to change the terms of their road closures. It taking about 40minutes for the last people to cross the start line, but then the clean up crews going at the 7hr pace based on the 10:10am start whilst obviously the people and pacers at the back were going based off a 10:50 start time.

Just managed to get my train fair refunded, although the cash will take a while to reappear in my account it's handy that a non-refundable ticket is being fully refunded.

Now have to decide what to do about the accommodation though. Can change the date of the booking, but not cancel it, they then charge £10 to change to booking plus any difference in the price. Strangely the price for a gloomy weekend in October seems to be nearly twice the price that I paid for a sunny weekend in April just after the end of the Easter holidays. No doubt the prices will drop, but probably not until after the end of April at which point I'll have sacrificed the April booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

You might be safe booking for April 2021 (can always defer) - will be some time before they start allowing big international events to go ahead. There's a chance that all the major marathons in the autumn maybe cancelled.

That's a good point actually, just shift that booking to 2021. Not convinced that October will happen either, or that I'd want to inflict the hassle of London and continuing social distancing on a 5 year old if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone know if 2021 no open until 2020 is ran or cancelled?

Trampas wrote: »
    Anyone know if 2021 no open until 2020 is ran or cancelled?

Not seen any mention of 2021 yet.

We would normally get ballot results on the weekend that 2020 has been rescheduled for, and before that they would have declared the GFA times as well. If this year happens then they are going to have to do a quick turn around on the ballot and GFA places... Which will then mean a rearranged ballot for 2022 as people won't then accept the 6 months wait for ballot results in future years.

Think it's still unlikely that 2020 will even happen and we'll all just get bounced straight into 2021 instead.

• Advertisement

So just got the latest from London Marathon.

Anyone can cancel running in October and get their money back, even if you had previously deferred. Getting your money back wouldn't normally be an option with a deferral or cancellation. This must be done before 26th April 2020.

Looks like a deferral of the October 2020 entry will still be permitted up until race day to bounce your place to the April 2021 event, although they don't explicitly mention this

Seems that they won't be carrying over GFA entries as my email states that I cannot defer due to when my GFA qualification run was done. Normally the deadline for running a GFA for 2021 would be in June/ July 2020. No word yet on them moving that date back, but hopefully they will shift it until the end of October 2020 (if any marathons actually happen).

Advertisement