Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swallow & swift nest plans enquiry

• 18-03-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I wonder does anyone have any links to plans for building your own bird boxes for swifts and swallows.? Am i correct in thinking that swallows will only nest indoors here...can i put a box up on my eaves for them, as i've no outbuildings they can nest in?
    edit - i meant to include House Martins in this too..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I wonder does anyone have any links to plans for building your own bird boxes for swifts and swallows.? Am i correct in thinking that swallows will only nest indoors here...can i put a box up on my eaves for them, as i've no outbuildings they can nest in?
    edit - i meant to include House Martins in this too..

Swiftconservation.ie should give you all the info you need, you are correct Swallows only nest indoors..House Martins nest outdoors under eaves and artificial nests are available, try Birdwatch Ireland for starters..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

See here for a report from BirdWatch Ireland about Swift conservation including boxes etc: https://birdwatchireland.ie/publications/saving-swifts-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Boxes for swifts absolutely, but have a think if you can get power supply for speaker beside nest entrance holes if there are no swifts there already.

Just regarding Swallows, they build up a mud nest on a dry ledge under a bit of shelter...so typically on top of an internal wall or on a beam or pipework or light fitting etc under a porch or barn roof etc. Bonus marks if cats can't get up to it. So the good news is you don't really need to build nest boxes for swallows. The bad news is you might need to build a new barn, or internal walls/ledges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Thx folks..

Advertisement