Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance just lapsed - doubt I'll be going anywhere for next 2/3 months

Options
  • 23-03-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

My insurance with Aviva just lapsed.
    I never got renewal letter (used to get one?) but am thinking what's the point now as I don't need my car (I can use my wife's that I'm insured on).

Am I best to leave it until I think I'll need it again and renew then?
    Any complications to be expected?
    It's over 10 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I think your no claims becomes invalid after a certain amount of time without having insurance, but I'm not sure how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hey,

My insurance with Aviva just lapsed.
    I never got renewal letter (used to get one?) but am thinking what's the point now as I don't need my car (I can use my wife's that I'm insured on).

Am I best to leave it until I think I'll need it again and renew then?
    Any complications to be expected?
    It's over 10 years old.

Marginally different, but I was going on holidays for 3 weeks at one stage, and my insurance was running out the day I left. I thought of delaying it until I got back, but someone pointed out to me that if the car was stolen/caught fire while I was away it wouldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You have 2 years to keep NCB.

Shouldn't be a problem leaving it for a while, if it were 15 or older it would be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I think your no claims becomes invalid after a certain amount of time without having insurance, but I'm not sure how much.

You have 2 years from when your No Claims Bonus was issued so 2 or 3 months should be fine.
    Like another poster pointed out though, your vehicle won't be covered for fire or theft without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Miscreant wrote: »
    Like another poster pointed out though, your vehicle won't be covered for fire or theft without insurance.

Or accidental damage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement