Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goldfinches

Options
  • 20-02-2020 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭

Absolutely overwhelmed by the huge number of Goldfinches that are coming into the Garden in Galway City, yesterday with difficulty I counted over 40, filled the Sunflower Hearts to the top early morning and it was empty at lunchtime, when I went for the camera they had flown away, I will try to get a picture and post but its lovely to see so many and they are looking very healthy size wise. I have Niger Seed and Sunflower feeders they seem to have gone off the Niger seed, anyone else notice this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

I also have loads in my garden. I've only ever used sunflower hearts+ they love them.

We had a huge decline in greenfinches over last few years but good to see a small number back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Between 10 and 25 dropping into my garden daily. Sunflower hearts are the favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I guess that by feeding them we are helping to increase the numbers, I was amazed watching the young birds waiting on the shed roof while the parents got seed and took it to them they did not go near the feeders, guess they broke up the seed for them, this was a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have loads in my garden too. Not huge numbers like you guys but getting up to 15 or so. They're mad for the Niger seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Also, they'll feed in any conditions. During recent storms they're still out there scoffing away on the feeders. No sign of any other birds.

I'm also getting some Great Tits in the garden who love to feed from the hanging coconut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

We have them dropping in to feed also. Biggest count to date was 28 but my God they are hard little devils to count, never staying still even when feeding. They always seem to be on the move arguing with one another. As fred funk says "they love the niger seed" which can be expensive enough (€50 per 25kg.) Must try the Sunflower Hearts. We have a pair of Ringed Doves , a couple of Magpies , Blackbirds Bullfinches Robins Sparrows. Wrens Thrush and during the Summer of last year we had a pair of Greenfinches and some Dornachs. Our big problem at the moment is we have a Sparrowhawk who regularly uses the feeding area as a McDonalds Drive tru and hunts the Goldfinches . I hate when he is successful but I suppose that is nature at play. The Crows and Jackdays are also a bit of a problem at time and not easily discouraged. Pigeons never seem to feed in the garden but nest nearby. We actually saw a pair of cock Pheasants on a low hedge about 10 mts from our kitchen window 2 or 3 weeks ago. Beautiful birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

appledrop wrote: »
    We had a huge decline in greenfinches over last few years but good to see a small number back this year.

haven't seen one this year:(

on the up side saw my first siskin at the feeder yesterday

fryup wrote: »
    haven't seen one this year:(

on the up side saw my first siskin at the feeder yesterday

A few years ago we would have had 15+ greenfinches. Then they disappeared. I know they are prone to certain diseases so maybe that hit the population. Last two years you might see 1 but this year up to 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Large amount here too ,I throw some seeds on the ground so there isn't as much fighting at the feeders .The Chaffinch seem to be doing good too with large numbers arriving.6 is probably the most greenfinch I have spotted this year.

P1030249.jpg

P1030253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

11James11 wrote: »
    Large amount here too ,I throw some seeds on the ground so there isn't as much fighting at the feeders .The Chaffinch seem to be doing good too with large numbers arriving.6 is probably the most greenfinch I have spotted this year.

Any worry about cats I was going to put some on the ground as well but worried in case a cat got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Absolutely overwhelmed by the huge number of Goldfinches that are coming into the Garden in Galway City, yesterday with difficulty I counted over 40, filled the Sunflower Hearts to the top early morning and it was empty at lunchtime, when I went for the camera they had flown away, I will try to get a picture and post but its lovely to see so many and they are looking very healthy size wise. I have Niger Seed and Sunflower feeders they seem to have gone off the Niger seed, anyone else notice this.

They will keep coming ,sane time for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We have lots here too - and plenty of siskins. I also feed sunflower hearts and peanuts - I used Nyger seeds last year but I find them dirty - they stick to everything and the designed feeders for them are useless for anything else. Last year I noticed a few unwell finches, a couple of chaffinches and a green and this put me off feeding Nyger seeds too. Delighted to see the birds seem to enjoy the sunflower hearts.

I have never had a Siskin in the garden would love to see one. Black cap is the new addition to my feeder

The sunflowers hearts are popular with all birds really. Obviously goldfinch+ greenfinches love them but also sparrows, blue,coal+ great tits + Robin.

Then we have the blackbirds, thrushes, starlings, collared doves, pigeons + chaffinches who all feed on ground + clean up the mess the others make so it's a win win!

We also have a resident sparrowhawk who loves a goldfinch or on occasion a pidgeon which he dissects + leaves the place like a murder scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

There are also many goldfinches in my yard, the most simple yet practical solution to feed finches is the tube feeder. The most practical and fun way to watch the finches enjoy their nyjer seeds is the use of feeders that are literally the upside-down version. Among the bird varieties, finches are upside down eaters so the nyjer seed goes to who it is intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I saw an unusual wild bird in the bushes at the roundabout during the lockdown and googled it - my first ever goldfinch!! Very excited!! Now I have one that regularly visits the feeder in the garden - first time ever having one in the garden - delighted with myself!! At least the lockdown seems to have been good for something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I get an average of about 13 a day. Delightful little birds

Advertisement