Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martial arts and impaired vision

• 29-12-2019 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am interested in starting martial arts. I’m wondering if impaired vision would stop me from starting it? I can get laser eye surgery. But this would take months maybe years to save for!? Any advice? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all, I am interested in starting martial arts. I’m wondering if impaired vision would stop me from starting it? I can get laser eye surgery. But this would take months maybe years to save for!? Any advice? Thanks in advance

Judo or BJJ would be absolutely no problem for you.

If you can find a coach who's qualified in training with impaired vision then even better.

I've trained with visually impaired lots of times, you'd hardly notice a difference.

Basically you allow the VI partner to take their grips, you take your's then training begins.

There's really nothing to hold you back, and Judo being an Olympic sport you could potentially represent Ireland in the Special Olympics (we've had two in our club) if you're registered blind.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I’m sorry..

I have totally misunderstood the definition of VI. I mean’t I wear glasses, but without them. My vision would be fuzzy. I can identity things. People etc. I can’t really focus it. I’m also just not sure how much of a disadvantage I’d be at without my glasses! This is why I mentioned laser eye surgery in the op. However it will be a while before I could afford this option. This would leave me with 2020 vision.

Furthermore, I was kinda looking for an alternative to having blurred vision. I have never done martial arts with/without glasses. I can assume it wouldn’t be allowed to wear glasses during training. Would having blurred vision or is it ok to practice M.A. with weak eye sight!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

job seeker wrote: »
    I’m sorry..

I have totally misunderstood the definition of VI. I mean’t I wear glasses, but without them. My vision would be fuzzy. I can identity things. People etc. I can’t really focus it. I’m also just not sure how much of a disadvantage I’d be at without my glasses! This is why I mentioned laser eye surgery in the op. However it will be a while before I could afford this option. This would leave me with 2020 vision.

Furthermore, I was kinda looking for an alternative to having blurred vision. I have never done martial arts with/without glasses. I can assume it wouldn’t be allowed to wear glasses during training. Would having blurred vision or is it ok to practice M.A. with weak eye sight!?

Any of the grappling styles like Judo & BJJ (there's loads more) would be perfect for you once you explain your difficulties with sight.

If lazer treatment would give you 20/20 vision I'd save my money and do that first.

BJJ and Judo can be fairly expensive, I'd look after my sight first. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gstack

My eyesight is not great , I need glasses to drive , use a computer, see signs etc etc , I can read a book or newspaper without them . I train BJJ and its fine . I wear the glasses while the coach is instructing then while I am drilling rolling put them away to the side . I could get contact lenses but have issues getting a comfortable fit . Only real issues I have are seeing the timer in the gym or at a competition . Or if you are the far side of the mat to me and want to roll you might have to shout :D.

I keep meaning to get contact lenses but have not got round to it yet .

Advertisement