Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Can anyone confirm if banking or other 2FA SMS from short code numbers work (5xxxx numbers are blocked by 48)?

You can carry over 5gb to the next month but if not used in the next month cannot be carried over again.

That's Carryover, there's also a "Safe" option where up to 5GB per month can be banked and used any time within 12 months with the caveat that it can only be used in a month of active membership.
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/Flexi-Data/ta-p/53114

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Three's customer service is absolutely abysmal. I would not recommend signing a contract with this company even it it were free.
    I was with 48 for years, on their Guido €10/month package, and found the customer service was excellent - perhaps precisely because it's all kept in writing, and people tend to be clearer in their explanations, also detailed instructions/technical information can be communicated more precisely. Any time I had an issue it was dealt with quickly and efficiently, usually within a few hours. I've been a customer of almost every other provider and, without exception, their customer service and particularly their phone support was dire. You'd spend longer waiting on hold and being passed from one agent to another, re-explaining things over and over and, often, being given wrong information or inane advice. Give me web-only support every time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken there's no contract, beyond the 30-day membership?

The only reason I left 48 for the GoMo package was because for the same money they were offering a little bit more of everything, and they have one (for me) significant advantage, which is that if I occasionally need to make an international call I can do so and the cost is just added to my next monthly payment. With 48, I had to log in and buy the appropriate add-on before it would let me make the call. Fook that. :rolleyes:

One other, possibly major drawback to flag, though - roaming abroad was very hit-and-miss, in my experience. No problems in the UK, but every time I was in France or Spain I had terrible trouble connecting to the local networks, even the ones 48 have agreements with (and the problem was definitely not a hardware or phone settings issue). Spent ages trying to resolve it the first few times it happened, then eventually just gave up on it as a bad job and relied on my partner's (Vodafone) connection. So that's one caveat, if you travel a lot.

Other than that, no issues, really. Never any signal/speed problems in Ireland (admittedly nearly always in/near cities).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is a permanent offer is it limited? Want to Switch from GoMo but want to wait until my month expires.

GoMo is a 30 day contract so 30 days notice starts when you port to 48. Best off contacting GoMo asking to cancel (which will begin your notice) and then port 2/3 weeks later. I wouldn’t leave it until the last minute though in case there’s a problem porting.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I was with 48 for years with solid 3G and late last year 4G. I switched to Go Mo for better allowances after checking their coverage map showing solid 4G in my area.
    I only get 2G. Even outside and a long way in any direction from my house.
    48 Customer service was excellent, they keep tickets open and accessible.
    GoMo is pathetic. They failed to respond completely to my first ticket. The second one they took a fortnight to suggest I try a different phone. I'd told them my phone works fine on 4G else where.
    Heard nothing for another week so raised a ticket complaining about their handling and got a reply looking for my Eircode " So we can get to the bottom of this"
    Responded immediately and heard nothing - now 10 days later and counting. You can't follow up a ticket on email and they appear to be able to close them out at their discretion do their stats look good.
    So after two months and several tickets I haven't had a single constructive contribution from GoMo customer service. For example sending the latest APN (I verified it anyway).
    So 48 with their improved offering looks very good indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Any problems with 48.ie getting security codes from banks,gmail,Amazon ,Revolut etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are they migrating existing members onto the new plans?

I have some older family members using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

No automatic migration for existing members. One has to request to be migrated to the new packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

noa2020 wrote: »
    GoMo is a 30 day contract so 30 days notice starts when you port to 48. Best off contacting GoMo asking to cancel (which will begin your notice) and then port 2/3 weeks later. I wouldn’t leave it until the last minute though in case there’s a problem porting.

You don't need to give notice to leave GoMo. I switched a couple of months ago and contacted customer care before doing so to clarify and they advised to just move a couple of days before the end of my billing cycle to get the best value.

They said if they did a cancellation process the number would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

You don't need to give notice to leave GoMo. I switched a couple of months ago and contacted customer care before doing so to clarify and they advised to just move a couple of days before the end of my billing cycle to get the best value.

They said if they did a cancellation process the number would be lost.

Yeah, you don’t have to give them notice but by giving it you actually get the best value.

Maybe I’m wrong with GoMo but I used to work in a network shop and that was my experience with moving customers between networks on 30 day contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Warning - I was going to switch but there are no landline minutes in the new plans, so could be a problem especially for older family members.
    They said you have to buy landline minutes via add-ons @ €3 for 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

vicadd wrote: »
    Warning - I was going to switch but there are no landline minutes in the new plans, so could be a problem especially for older family members.

Landline minutes are included in the new packages. See here.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That's not correct. The 300 minutes included with the new plans includes calls to both mobiles and landlines.

https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

JTMan wrote: »

What he said. I asked the on facebook and they confirmed 300 is for landlines and mobiles in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

JTMan wrote: »

Thanks. I contacted them on chat on 21st April as there was no mention of landline minutes in the new plans. They specifically told me they were not included. They even warned me not to switch if landlines were needed as I would not be able to switch back to old plans.
    They obviously changed the plans since then, so will definitely switch now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

Website telling me I'm from outside Ireland when I try to sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks. I contacted them on chat on 21st April as there was no mention of landline minutes in the new plans. They specifically told me they were not included. They even warned me not to switch if landlines were needed as I would not be able to switch back to old plans.
    They obviously changed the plans since then, so will definitely switch now.

They didn't change the plans since. They gave you the wrong information.

Try another browser? Or an incognito browser tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Hintel wrote: »

Same here, different browsers, different networks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Good bargain thanks for those of us who don't want to be on a bill with Go-Mo. I was on the Go-Mo 9.99 deal. Network was awful plus my bill was never 9.99. There was always extra charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Same here, different browsers, different networks

Get a free VPN and set it to Ireland?!

Mr.S wrote: »
    That happened on my wifi connection, had to do it via mobile.

Had this issue with Virgin in the past where they were using some IP addresses that had previously been assigned to the Netherlands and some websites I was visiting were then giving me grief for being 'outside' Ireland.

Think I've also experienced it with Vodafone landline broadband sometimes assigning me an IP address that's detected as being in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Is 48 call credit widely available?

My one reservation would be 48 keeping the offer.

I am with gomo but I haven't ported my number yet.

Gomo are good value.
    Call quality varies in quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

DopeTech wrote: »
    Get a free VPN and set it to Ireland?!

Tried Hola, that didn't work. Fast response from 48 that unfortunately didn't address the issue. They just sent me a link to the same page that saw me outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Tried Hola, that didn't work. Fast response from 48 that unfortunately didn't address the issue. They just sent me a link to the same page that saw me outside Ireland.

Turn off adblocker? Or go incognito?

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Is 48 call credit widely available?

My one reservation would be 48 keeping the offer.

I am with gomo but I haven't ported my number yet.

Gomo are good value.
    Call quality varies in quality

Vouchers are not available. You can only top up via the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Quackster wrote: »
    Vouchers are not available. You can only top-up via the website.

That's a big change, only recently changed too OH keeps one of these on an old phone, and it was handy buying the vouchers when membership ran out.

Can you change to this from another membership, ie a Guido, without getting a new SIM?

That's a big change, only recently changed too OH keeps one of these on an old phone, and it was handy buying the vouchers when membership ran out.

Can you change to this from another membership, ie a Guido, without getting a new SIM?

Yeah, but you can't change back to an old plan.

You can still load up with any amount of credit and then convert the credit to memberships whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Quackster wrote: »
    Vouchers are not available. You can only top up via the website.

Was with 48 a couple of years ago and you could buy top ups in the shops (even though usually you'd have to prompt the sales assistant to keep looking through the menu options on the till to find it). Has that changed?

• Advertisement

Was with 48 a couple of years ago and you could buy top ups in the shops (even though usually you'd have to prompt the sales assistant to keep looking through the menu options on the till to find it). Has that changed?

Changed in January...
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/Voucher-Retirement/ta-p/52781

Advertisement