Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

What do lads here think of kubota tractors, I'm thinking of buying a m5111

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Anyone put a realistic value on a 07 tm120. Very clean. 6600 hours tyres 50%. Selling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone put a realistic value on a 07 tm120. Very clean. 6600 hours tyres 50%. Selling

€32k from dealer sparkling (so would assume it has 3 month warranty) - 03 with 7300 hours. Range Command:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24738942

€26k private - decent tyres, no interior photos 05 with 6500 hours. Range Command:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24342654

€26.5k private - 04 with 6600 hours. Very clean. Classic:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/tractor/25407666

€22.5k private - 02 with 7250 hours, new clutch and decent tyres. Classic:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24613767

Without seeing your machine - it would be a bit fresher in years than these, but it comes to a point where age is irrelevant and its down to how its looked after. The one at €32k is a bit of an outlier as it is a dealer machine.

Going by the two middle ones you're looking at €26k - €27k for one a few years older than yours. I'm not sure of the difference spec wise between those your year. Maybe some of the NH lads can fill in on any changes made.
    However, I'd make a stab without seeing yours that you should be asking €27k - €28.5k. But if your machine is better condition or has some updates then you could throw it out at €30k.

Is there a certain spec of them that people prefer? I seen ones who prefer the the Power Command over the Range Command and vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

€32k from dealer sparkling (so would assume it has 3 month warranty) - 03 with 7300 hours. Range Command:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24738942

€26k private - decent tyres, no interior photos 05 with 6500 hours. Range Command:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24342654

€26.5k private - 04 with 6600 hours. Very clean. Classic:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/tractor/25407666

€22.5k private - 02 with 7250 hours, new clutch and decent tyres. Classic:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-tm-120/24613767

Without seeing your machine - it would be a bit fresher in years than these, but it comes to a point where age is irrelevant and its down to how its looked after. The one at €32k is a bit of an outlier as it is a dealer machine.

Going by the two middle ones you're looking at €26k - €27k for one a few years older than yours. I'm not sure of the difference spec wise between those your year. Maybe some of the NH lads can fill in on any changes made.
    However, I'd make a stab without seeing yours that you should be asking €27k - €28.5k. But if your machine is better condition or has some updates then you could throw it out at €30k.

Is there a certain spec of them that people prefer? I seen ones who prefer the the Power Command over the Range Command and vice-versa.

Most prefer range command, what's the story with vat, in general if it's off a farmer no vat is applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

The McCormick MC series are the most under rated tractor.
    Avoid the cheaper CX versions, they are totally different in the Engine, Gearbox,Back-end and cab.
    The MCs have the heavy backend and gearbox. Sell for less than the Case Mxu but a far better tractor

Nothing wrong with the CX range. they finish at 105Hp anyway so isn't really what the OP was after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Most prefer range command, what's the story with vat, in general if it's off a farmer no vat is applied?

If off a non vat registered person the dealer uses a "margin scheme" and the new buyer cant claim vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nothing wrong with the CX range. they finish at 105Hp anyway so isn't really what the OP was after.

The McCormick CX range are better than the Case CX range for back lift purposes. They have the older Case/International back end with two PTO shafts. While that is a bit of a disadvantage they have much better back lift and hydraulic system than the Case CX range. However you have to remember they are a 70-100 HP range tractors and are tide because if that. You be comparing them to Massey's and NH in the same range not to tractors are that are in the next range up.

I have a Case CX80 2wd and s McCormick CX90 4WD. Both are nice gobby little tractors with plenty of power for a sub 100acre drystock farm where you are contacting in slurry and silage making.

If I could have got a tidy loader for the 2wd I have never bought the 4WD 18months ago. A decent tidy loader would behave cost 7-10k on the tractor. I have traded the 2WD but I was only getting 7-8k in real terms and at the time they were a hard sell I had lads offering me 8-9k for it. I have sold for 10500at the time. I be reluctant to sell at the moment but now a tidy 2wd like it are making 11-12k. I paid 12k for it 4years ago.

2nd hand tractors change in price all the time. I be surprised if they do not do a drop and rise again. 4 years ago that 2wd was as good a value as you could get but two years later there seemed to be no gra for them, now lads are looking all.over the place for them again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you are looking for a 2wd that’s fit to move big fusion bales as a back up tractor as well as working a scraper you are looking at something like a MF 168 or 290 which are mad money now sol lads are saying feck it and trying to get a reasonably modern yoke at not much more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Timmaay wrote: »
    A massey 110hp 5711 global with a quickie loader and full dyna4 was under 70k when I got one a year ago. Possibly closer to 65k with the way the trade in went (price for my tractor seemed bit generous)

looked at them before but didnt have the dyna 4 at that time, how do you find it if you dont mind me asking. Also is 5711 the biggest ( no 5713 global? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

No one has said a word about a kubota I've a 135 gx here traded a 5465 massey 2 months ago got 29 k for Massey gave 31k with it its 142 tractor but an older model 125 or so would do any man in suckler or dairy in my opinion now they might not be the most comfortable but they are a far cheaper tractor and around me there is about 30 now in a 10 mile radius and I done a lot of enquiring before I bought and everyone was happy with there buy same as me now ...

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    No one has said a word about a kubota I've a 135 gx here traded a 5465 massey 2 months ago got 29 k for Massey gave 31k with it its 142 tractor but an older model 125 or so would do any man in suckler or dairy in my opinion now they might not be the most comfortable but they are a far cheaper tractor and around me there is about 30 now in a 10 mile radius and I done a lot of enquiring before I bought and everyone was happy with there buy same as me now ...
    Are you up Cavan way?

I'm thinking of buying a m110gx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's a 60k budget though. That puts you in the realms of a Massey 5612, Case Maxxum 115, NH T6.140, Valtra N111, JD 6115M of the same era. That is not an insignificant budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

looked at them before but didnt have the dyna 4 at that time, how do you find it if you dont mind me asking. Also is 5711 the biggest ( no 5713 global? )

Yeh I paid afew grand extra for the full dyna4, the demo I had had a stupid very low floor mounted manual lever for the 1-5gears, that was definitely a backwards step. It's night and day better than the previous 2 landinis I had, which just were not up to the job, the massy has alot more back end weight, big pump so fast loader, just an all around better tractor. Few issues are the silly amount of electrics, in particular safety elements, like clutch has to be in to start, then you gotta depress the clutch and dip it again before the tractor will go into gear, the arm lifts are way too complicated for theirown good also, massey could definitely of done with abit more software development in that whole area 2bh. I got no idea if the 110hp is the biggest in the globals, but couldn't be too hard to remap if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Mooooo wrote: »
    I guess it goes back to comparing buying an older machine which may require higher maintenance costs vs buying a new machine in which you'll know the history and have regular servicing costs for the first number of years and / or a warranty for a bit as well.
    Either way the cost of machinery is getting serious. 34 yr old jcb 412 here will require more work this year and I'll have to find tyres for it as well and looking around anything to replace it in Ireland anyway in the 25k price bracket is near 20 yrs old as well so not exactly guaranteed to be issue free. The new version is probably around the 100k plus mark? If bought new and kept over the 20 years wouldnt look too bad but it needs paying over the 5 to 7 year period?

I'd look into new. if you are in high tax bracket you won't feel it. no chance of buying someone else s junk. you can miss the point by too much econimizing.alway buy new here and never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Keep 5K aside to replace concave washers in the dyna 6

Nice tractor here,loader brackets.....dunno what cost of loader would be

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-115-turbo/25243278?campaign=3

These jackasses that dont show hours....wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

oldsmokey wrote: »
    These jackasses that dont show hours....wtf?

If they don't say the hours you can presume they are pretty high... if it had low hours they would def be making a point of it. #

I'd say that yoke has a good bit done, a lot of wear on the seats, rear tyres which I think are the originals are well down also. I'd be thinking 7,000 plus hours

Any lad who lets a seat get that bad not sure I’d want to be buying off them tbh as the neglect could extend to other areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

jimmy G M wrote: »
    If they don't say the hours you can presume they are pretty high... if it had low hours they would def be making a point of it. #

I'd say that yoke has a good bit done, a lot of wear on the seats, rear tyres which I think are the originals are well down also. I'd be thinking 7,000 plus hours

7000 hours isn't that much though is it? I think 7000 would be around my limit for 2nd hand. The exhaust is fair worn on top. I'd say they are a good tractor though but they look alot better with the mudguard extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Grueller wrote: »
    I am on the hunt for a tractor this year or so. I have given it up now as €35k is entry level for a ten year old machine with north of 6000 hours.
    I have made my mind up to sit tight and buy new in a year or two. I only do 500 hours per year so a new machine will last me twenty plus years.

Leasing might be a better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

jimmy G M wrote: »

Double them hours maybe neighbour has similar case but newer type same seat and his tractor seat is imaculate with never a seat cover and 7k hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    7000 hours isn't that much though is it? I think 7000 would be around my limit for 2nd hand. The exhaust is fair worn on top. I'd say they are a good tractor though but they look alot better with the mudguard extensions.

At those hours you may need to do the brakes. Add in new exhaust, cab mounts new tyres and I’m sure a few cables and seals. I’m guessing around €10k including labour

I personally wouldn’t touch anything with more than 3 or 4000 hours. Better to pay more for a fairly fresh machine than have the inevitable issues and costs with high hours machines.

I personally wouldn’t touch anything with more than 3 or 4000 hours. Better to pay more for a fairly fresh machine than have the inevitable issues and costs with high hours machines.

Ive seen machine less than 2 years old with 3750 hours

They clock them up,much.quicker nowadays

(but service intervals moved out,is any manufacturer doing below 300 hour services anymore?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Hours are only a guide to what you should be looking at.2 tractors i have 1 was bought with 1100 hrs and the other 14000.yet the 14000 is doing more of the work.she is a little bit more problematic but nothing thats out of the way for her hrs.the 1100 is a more reliable bus but shes has had a problem or two as well.it all comes down to your judgement of the condition of the tractor and what you want it to do.the other day i went to see a 4300 hr tractor and we didnt even take the key for it(looked great in the pictures) whereas i have seen 9 and 10 k hrs tractors in much better shape

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Leasing might be a better option

What would a 100hp tractor be to lease

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hours now on a tractor start clicking up the minute the same engine starts. Most important thing on a tractor is the way it was looked after serviced. What it was doing is a big issue as well. The two I have both have high hours. One was an ex local authority tractor,I say most of the hours were to run the heater for the lad sitting in it. Second was used for hauling straw, woidchip and sawdust. All the arms on the rear end were put in a box first day and put back on it hen I bought it. Both were regularly serviced and well maintained.

Any 100hp+ tractor that you will see for sale will have being doing 1000 Hours / week minimum, with a contractor some will be doing more than that

Slava Ukrainii

Hours now on a tractor start clicking up the minute the same engine starts. Most important thing on a tractor is the way it was looked after serviced. What it was doing is a big issue as well. The two I have both have high hours. One was an ex local authority tractor,I say most of the hours were to run the heater for the lad sitting in it. Second was used for hauling straw, woidchip and sawdust. All the arms on the rear end were put in a box first day and put back on it hen I bought it. Both were regularly serviced and well maintained.

Any 100hp+ tractor that you will see for sale will have being doing 1000 Hours / week minimum, with a contractor some will be doing more than that

Agreed condition is important and the work it was going and I’d also consider how well it is kept i.e. is it clean when you view, does it look to have been minded, washed regularly but I wouldn’t ignore hours either.

You might have to keep your eye out for a while but you will find them. Our tractor is 120hp and when we bought it a few years ago it was 6 years old and had a little over 3000 hrs. Also had no loader and we had a new one fitted, also sort of intentional as we ruled out any loader related wear and tear or damage. We spent new tractor money in lesser makes though, we weren’t bargain hunting and looking for top of the range spec wise.

Are you up Cavan way?

No I'm in clare

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    That's a 60k budget though. That puts you in the realms of a Massey 5612, Case Maxxum 115, NH T6.140, Valtra N111, JD 6115M of the same era. That is not an insignificant budget.
    I said an older model 125orso

Advertisement