Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insufferable beer snobs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The real problem in the OP as I see it is the barman's sales technique, not craft beer. If he was giving away a sample of his own stuff anyway, what he should have done is drop down the pint of Guinness and tell the OP that as he's a Guinness drinker he might enjoy trying their own stout and leave the sample beside the pint. No hard sell to get the OP's back up and if people like it they'll buy it after tasting it, but won't feel they were pressured into it. There are some pretty crap craft stouts around it has to be said, but there are also some incredible ones. To write them all off because "they're not Guinness" is potentially depriving yourself of some great beer, but at the end of the day people should just drink what they like and not bother with what others drink. Apart from Budweiser drinkers, come the revolution I'll show them no mercy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’d rather drink my own scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.[/QUOTE

Thankfully we wont see you down west for a while again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Zaph wrote: »
    The real problem in the OP as I see it is the barman's sales technique, not craft beer. If he was giving away a sample of his own stuff anyway, what he should have done is drop down the pint of Guinness and tell the OP that as he's a Guinness drinker he might enjoy trying their own stout and leave the sample beside the pint. No hard sell to get the OP's back up and if people like it they'll buy it after tasting it, but won't feel they were pressured into it. There are some pretty crap craft stouts around it has to be said, but there are also some incredible ones. To write them all off because "they're not Guinness" is potentially depriving yourself of some great beer, but at the end of the day people should just drink what they like and not bother with what others drink. Apart from Budweiser drinkers, come the revolution I'll show them no mercy. :pac:

If the OP got his back up about free beer.

He has no business being in a pub. Stay home you absolute layman.

Stay home leave the pub to real people.

The barman did a grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's an odd one and it can sound like complete BS to non drinkers but historically there would be a big variance from place to place. That's lessening all the time, and it's hard to find a bad one now. Dublin used to be a lot more consistent than elsewhere but rural places have caught up.

If it's any warmer than the required temp, it tends to be muck. You get away with it being colder than normal, although it dampens the taste a bit. The 2 part pour is a marketing myth and complete bollocks, but so ingrained now you cant be a publican who doesn't. The tilt does matter to a degree but same with every beer

Young males are drinking it more than ever before also. Have heard it put down to a number of factors but the better consistency and an overall image change away from fat elders on stools are the main ones

Every single line of that post is boll0cks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oysters. Gawk.
    Swallowing cold snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Arghus wrote: »
    The people who go on about beer snobs are far more numerous and far more annoying then the actually small amount of genuine beer snobs.

I've met one lad in my life who was a complete beer snob. One. I've met about fifty blowhards going on about beer snobs.

This

And this thread probably belongs in R&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What I want to know is what happened to Harp down south? Used to be on tap everywhere once.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would "Shcan", "Sham", or "Boss" be okay?

Maybe "Bud" or "Buddy"

Or how about not using any of those terms at all? Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The best pint I've ever tasted is served in an unassuming little bar in a small Midlands town, and it's generally believed this is because the proprietor never cleans the taps. I don't know if this is true, although one of the people who told me this was his own son.

So you has a Guinness that was slightly off and you thought it tasted better. Doesn't say much for the drink tbh.

For some solid 24k gold Guinness BS, see video below:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Murphy's > Guinness

So you has a Guinness that was slightly off and you thought it tasted better. Doesn't say much for the drink tbh.

For some solid 24k gold Guinness BS, see video below:

You won't get any arguments from me about the horseshít in that Guinness ad.

No, as regards my mate's dad not cleaning the taps, I think it's a bit like the way everyone knows toasted-cheese sandwiches taste better when you don't clean the sandwich maker. I don't know why this is, it's just science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

You won't get any arguments from me about the horseshít in that Guinness ad.

No, as regards my mate's dad not cleaning the taps, I think it's a bit like the way everyone knows toasted-cheese sandwiches taste better when you don't clean the sandwich maker. I don't know why this is, it's just science.

I have my own draught system in my shed,and you always have to clean the lines and tap.Otherwise the drink tastes off.Plus you don't know what ****e your drinking with the lager.If your pint tastes off then thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Only once ever came across a beer snob, I was working in an offy and he thought I would be dead interested to hear his favourite beers. He was alright, nice but just oblivious to the "uh huh" "yeah" "oh cool" responses.

Even worse though...I love a few craft beers sometimes and I've had people say it's a waste of money. All the same thing etc etc. It's not, and you wouldn't say that about food or wine would you.

Quality ingredients, quality brewing techniques = a great beer. Germany even made laws about this and you can taste that difference. I've never had a more wicked hangover off beer then when I've got drunk on Heineken.

I would gladly spend 2 euro more to get something I know I'd like, but yeah, stouts, only one choice and that's Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

HBC08 wrote: »
    Every single line of that post is boll0cks.

So the two part pour is genuinely needed then? Funny you thanked a post refuting that. Being warmer would help a pint more than being colder? Sure maybe you know more about Diageos inner workings, driving Kia's around shiitholes in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

To be fair to this lad he was probably told to push their own stout as it naturally would have a much much higher margin.

Some microbreweries do suffer from a lack of consistency in quality, you will occasionally get one that tastes like feet.

Do you worry about getting verrucas on your tongue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

As a snob I can say that a pint of coo-ers is your only man. Maybe Carlsburg or maybe even Kronenberg 1884 if I’m feeling adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

listermint wrote: »
    Love a Guinness myself.

But it tastes like water OP.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I find once you have a few good ales or IPAs you'd run a mile from the heni/Carl's/Coors/harp/bud etc. But everyone to their own. I like Guinness and it was my default for 25 years. I like a good larger, but not what you'd get on tap in Ireland.
    Beer snobs..yeah few and far between...there are more people complaining bout beer snobs than actual snobs.
    I homebrew with the natural base ingredients. I've also got a ponytail and
    Wait a minute ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

To be fair to this lad he was probably told to push their own stout as it naturally would have a much much higher margin.

Some microbreweries do suffer from a lack of consistency in quality, you will occasionally get one that tastes like feet.

Happens with big beers too. I've had gone-off lagers, rotten Guiness. Usually it's the pipes/pub to blame and craft beers are no exception.

I am one of these craft beer snobs (though not the worst). I love a crispy dry beer with a meal, but afterwards, I want something rich in flavour. It can be like drinking a dessert.

I'd much rather have 3-4 really nice 330ml beers than a "feed" of 8 watery pints and the scutters that come the next day, but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I enjoy a Guinness but I'd have to say it's not as good as it was 50 years ago. As for drinking it from a bottle, or especially a can, you can keep that, no thanks.

I would like to drink more beer, with friends socially, but I live in a legal cannabis area and drinking isn't so much in fashion anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness drinkers probably have the most mythology and bolloxology of any beer drinkers at all. That's where you'll find your large group of beer snobs to aim at.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

L1011 wrote: »
    Guinness drinkers probably have the most mythology and bolloxology of any beer drinkers at all. That's where you'll find your large group of beer snobs to aim at.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Heineken drinkers? I think there's data on that in the International Journal of Beer Mythology and Bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

L1011 wrote: »

Yep, thinking Guinness is some sort of holy grail and cannot be spoken negatively about.

It ain't irish anymore, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yep, thinking Guinness is some sort of holy grail and cannot be spoken negatively about.

It ain't irish anymore, thats for sure.

Ah this nugget.

Guinness is brewed and crafted in Dublin and shipped worldwide from there.

So you're going to come back with Diageo, wel that's just modern day business. Plenty of companies have foreign ownership. Penneys being another one.

I don't get why a successful product gets so much criticism just because you most likely don't like the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Question for Guinness drinkers.

What does Guinness taste like?

Fizzy coffee that's been filtered through a tramps sweaty sock...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

s8n wrote: »
    you sound like quite the connoisseur. Just the 8 was it ??

A good pint of Guinness is like a Bourbon Cream. Two bites.

@JF I had a gallon of pure cream in a hotel in Kenmare lately, luckily enough there was no tattooed beardo pushing some rhinoceros piss. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm not that bothered with a lot of the craft beer craze, and obviously there's a fair bit of gouging for hyped-up muck associated with it, but you can't deny that it's forced everyone to up their game with drinks. Most pubs you'll get better choice and better pints than you would have only ten years ago, definitely 20 years ago. When you consider that in the early 2000s Alcopops were the big new thing, and ****e like fat frogs and double vodka and redbulls, I think it's fair the say we have it pretty cushy nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

You should’ve been fcuked out there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it just the insufferable ones we're aiming ire at today?

I can freely admit that I fall into the "beer snob" category but I'm self aware enough not to harp on about it (is that a pun?). I really like rambling off around the UK countryside, finding little pubs and seeing what strange stuff they've got on tap. Granted, if it's muck it's muck but jayzis life would be boring sticking to the same order all the time. I thought Ireland had moved away from the old "I'm a [insert big brand name] drinker" kind of thing.

At the end of the day, people have different tastes. While I may be in the category, they can shove their ultra hoppy IPAs, I just can't take to them. My beer needs to be dark, preferably red in colour and not necessarily cold but I'll venture into stout-town come winter time.

I can agree that the server guy in the OP's experience probably didn't play it too well but the OP was judging the guy on his appearance from the outset so I think the interaction was doomed before it started.

Also just to note, Guinness is the Budweiser of stouts. . . .(but I occasionally have one to keep a round order simple, Guinness not Bud, never Bud)

Advertisement