Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is tiring stuff! So I think I'm back where I started....trying a few sizes on...!
    Tbh if you're an in-betweeny size like that I'd just pick styles that I liked, try on a 34C and a 32D in each of them and pick whatever fitted and looked better. I'm similar in terms of being at an in-betweeny size (in both cup and band), I end up trying on half the shop every time I go bra shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

My left boob will never fit into the cup as well as my right :( Fecking non symmetrical body!!!!

The last time I was in Debenehams I found them UBER UBER helpful, she didn't sound very good :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tbh if you're an in-betweeny size like that I'd just pick styles that I liked, try on a 34C and a 32D in each of them and pick whatever fitted and looked better. I'm similar in terms of being at an in-betweeny size (in both cup and band), I end up trying on half the shop every time I go bra shopping.

Ditto :(
    I'm losing the plot and dreading shopping at this stage...
    Somewhere in the range of 32E/F / 34E I think :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pembily wrote: »
    My left boob will never fit into the cup as well as my right :( Fecking non symmetrical body!!!!

I'm the exact same! One boob either spills out a bit, or else one is slightly too small for the cup. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Piko

Orlee wrote: »
    I registered and received my letter. I didn't got for a smear. I then received another letter (some time later) saying if I didn't go within a certain time period I would not be able to avail of the service.

I'll see if I can dig out the letter and post it.

I'm not complaining about the service ... it was my own fault ... I had good intentions but never went!

I kept putting it off and eventually got a third letter, which said "Final Reminder" on it, so you might get another one in the post if you've only gotten two so far.

It said I had 6 weeks to have the test or I would be called in 3 years for another... (I got the test 7 weeks after the date of the letter though!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭cheesey1

I wouldn't mind getting properly measured but would be very self conscious about the nakedness.... I read somewhere that they say it's ok to leave your bra on... does anyone know if this is true? Because I'd feel better about going to do it then

Its been a good few years since I went and got Bra Fitted but had gone to Arnotts as went to BTs first and it was a ridiculous size they told me and as I had gone to Arnotts for my first bra fitting I decided to go there. I need to go again but was wondering do people find Arnotts good I know there selection is the older styles but just to find out what size I should be. My friend went to BTs as well and like me she felt that she wasn't the size they told her.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

hey guys, im getting the implant tomorrow and im kinda nervous, dont know much about it either..
    anyone have some advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Which one?

The implannon contraceptive implant in your arm or the Mirena I.U.S. that is placed in the womb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Hi ladies,

I'm on the pill Cerazette and have run into a bit of a low stock emergency! Does anybody know of a pharmacy that keeps it in stock as usually I have to get it ordered in advance.

Me (and the boyfriend) would be very grateful for any suggestions! ;)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

z_topaz wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I'm on the pill Cerazette and have run into a bit of a low stock emergency! Does anybody know of a pharmacy that keeps it in stock as usually I have to get it ordered in advance.

Thanks!

don't know where you are but I'd ring around to the larger pharmacies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

z_topaz wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Thanks!

Don't know where you're based but I've gotten it in Boots on Grafton Street and Doc Morris in Rathmines without having to order in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

hi, im 23 with a 5 year old daughter and had my first smear at 21, that was fine but i've just got the results of my second smear back saying the test shows a very slight abnormality which is not serious and should not cause you concern, they also recommended i repeat the test in 6 months. i am in a right state over it, i think im going to have to get another smear done in 3 months just for a peace of mind, is there anyone else in this situation? i can't help but worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Its hard not to, but try not to freak yourself out too much - its very common to have a slight abnormality and they recommend coming back in six months.

About 20mths ago, I had an abnormal smear (CIN 1) through the Cervical Check scheme. I had to go back six months later for a second. Also abnormal- CIN 1, so waited a few months for a colposcopy (an internal exam w/ a camera). Results clear.
    A week after the colposcopy I got two appointment letters, one for nine mths later for a follow up smear and one for three months beyond that for a second colposcopy. Had the smear three mths ago and was due to have the colposcopy yesterday but they've put it off a few weeks.

The moral of the story (sorry, it was getting a bit longwinded!) is that they monitor things so well and keep an eye, that there really isn't much cause for worry.
    Its easier said than done, I was freaked after the second abnormal when I got the colp. appt., but they haven't even sent me the results of my most recent smear, they're just gonna give them to me when I'm in next month for the colp - and thats after two smears and a colp and I'm much more relaxed about it. If they felt there was cause to get you in sooner, you could.

Are you on the Cervical Smear programme or did you go to your GP? If you are in the programme, don't get out of it for the sake of a smear two mths earlier than on the public - if you do have follow ups, you'll end up paying for each subsequent one once you're out of the 'system'.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

thanks for the quick reply, i'm not on the cervical smear program as you have to be 25 (health system is a joke) the most recent smear cost me €50 and i really don't mind paying it again if it's going to put my mind at rest, i dont know if 3 months would be too early to detect any changes or not but i really don't think i can wait the 6 months, so so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

At what age should you start going for smear tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

When you are over 25 according to this website;

http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/

You can sign up to receive a free smear test on the above website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Hey girls anyone have any info on the depot?
    been thinking bout getting it for ages now.

Check over the side effects, unlike other types of hormanal contraception the rest can be stopped by not using the pill, patch or nuva ring or by having the impannon or IUS removed but once you have the Depo-Provera thats it for the 3 months and you just have to ride it out.

Personally I wouldn't have it, and would tell friends and family not to have it, heard of a lot of women having harsh side effects. Some may have little or no side effects but read up and make up your own mind and ask lots of questions of your dr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depo-Provera
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Check over the side effects, unlike other types of hormanal contraception the rest can be stopped by not using the pill, patch or nuva ring or by having the impannon or IUS removed but once you have the Depo-Provera thats it for the 3 months and you just have to ride it out.

Personally I would have it, and would tell friends and family not to have it, heard of a lot of women having harsh side effects. Some may have little or no side effects but read up and make up your own mind and ask lots of questions of your dr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depo-Provera
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

thanks for that :) ill have a read x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

auntyweeze wrote: »
    Hey girls anyone have any info on the depot?
    been thinking bout getting it for ages now.

Hey, i had the injection for a yr in total, moved onto Implanon now, i found it great(havnt had a period in 18 months:D) but as thaedyal says some people have fairly nasty side effects, only ones i had was i felt a bit naesous for the first few days after gettin each one( ah the joys of a contacepive making you panic)

it was the only one i could use due to a family history of breast cancer and bein on the heavy side, tried the mini pill first but it turned me into a psycho and made my cycle go all over the place.

anyway long post short, best bet is to go and have a chat either with your gp or the nurse in the practise, i found the nurse where i go was a bit more up to date with contraception options than my gp.

• Advertisement

Hey, i had the injection for a yr in total, moved onto Implanon now, i found it great(havnt had a period in 18 months:D) but as thaedyal says some people have fairly nasty side effects, only ones i had was i felt a bit naesous for the first few days after gettin each one( ah the joys of a contacepive making you panic)

it was the only one i could use due to a family history of breast cancer and bein on the heavy side, tried the mini pill first but it turned me into a psycho and made my cycle go all over the place.

anyway long post short, best bet is to go and have a chat either with your gp or the nurse in the practise, i found the nurse where i go was a bit more up to date with contraception options than my gp.

thanks hun ive never thought about the implant before.
    ive talked to the nurses in the family plannig and my own gp and they said it personal choice what i go for.
    im so bad at making decisions lol
    i like to be told you have to go on this pill etc lol
    can i ask you one thing about the implant......is it sore to get put in? and when you have to get it removed are you left with a scar?
    thanks for the advice x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jildwy

Hi Fizgig Bandicoot,

Twenty10 is correct about the free smear. However if you are worried you should speak to your GP. In certain circumstances they may recommend that you have a smear done but you will have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

auntyweeze wrote: »
    thanks hun ive never thought about the implant before.
    ive talked to the nurses in the family plannig and my own gp and they said it personal choice what i go for.
    im so bad at making decisions lol
    i like to be told you have to go on this pill etc lol
    can i ask you one thing about the implant......is it sore to get put in? and when you have to get it removed are you left with a scar?
    thanks for the advice x

nah wasnt that sore worst part was when he was injecting the local anesthic(sp) ive a tiny scar but you would really have to be looking for it to see it, just had some heavy bruiseing for a few days around where it was put in, was told you only end up with a tiny scar when they take it out.
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unz13

Hi Ladies,

I visited a GP today who refused to renew my prescription for Yasminelle, the combined pill that I have been on for 2 years because of the fact that I had a couple of migraine type headaches a few years ago while I was on a different pill. He scared the living daylights out of me, told me that I could end up having a stroke and be paralysed and instead prescribed a progesterone pill even though I've had real problems with side effects from these in the past.

I checked the Yasminelle website and there is nothing on there to indicate that somebody who has had migraines shouldn't take it. I am not looking for medical advice on this. I just would like to know if anybody has had similar advice from their gp. From previous experience, by going on to this other pill, I already know I am setting myself up for a nightmare and I don't want to do it needlessly. Yasminelle is the only pill I have ever been on that has never caused me a single problem and I'm very reluctant to come off it.

Go back and argue wit the dr or go see a different dr and get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Unz13 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I visited a GP today who refused to renew my prescription for Yasminelle, the combined pill that I have been on for 2 years because of the fact that I had a couple of migraine type headaches a few years ago while I was on a different pill. He scared the living daylights out of me, told me that I could end up having a stroke and be paralysed and instead prescribed a progesterone pill even though I've had real problems with side effects from these in the past.

I checked the Yasminelle website and there is nothing on there to indicate that somebody who has had migraines shouldn't take it. I am not looking for medical advice on this. I just would like to know if anybody has had similar advice from their gp. From previous experience, by going on to this other pill, I already know I am setting myself up for a nightmare and I don't want to do it needlessly. Yasminelle is the only pill I have ever been on that has never caused me a single problem and I'm very reluctant to come off it.

A quick Google search showed up at least one healthcare website that states a history of migraine headaches IS a contraindication...therefore, don't trust the web for information on persciption drugs! ;)

If you are unhappy with this GP's advice, then I'd suggest getting a second opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Does anyone know if drinking parsley tea will actually bring your period on faster? Mines due friday and i want it to come ON friday. Does parsley really work??

I don't know about Parsley tea but I know a very hot bath with lots of lavender oil has worked for me before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Thanks I'll give that a go! :) Did you take the bath on your due date or just before it?

• Advertisement

The night before! Hopefully that will work for you too :)

Advertisement