Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ G985 8GB/128GB Dual Sim - Cosmic Grey €750.49 (-36% €1,152.99)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you. I will try to source the snapdragon version.
    It's kind of hard to tell but the G985 designation seems to suggest it's the Exynos variant, based on:
    https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-plus-model-number-sm-g985-g986-differences/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thank you. I will try to source the snapdragon version.
    Might not be as easy as it sounds. Samsung don't seem to distinguish between the two, just listing the phone as Octa-core. This article here suggests that the US market gets Snapdragon (for US carrier support), while everywhere else in the world gets Exynos, but it also suggests that for dual-sim support, it has to be Exynos. So, if you want to specifically buy a Snapdragon chipset, you need to look for a single-sim model targeted at the US, Canadian or Korean markets, and likely expect to pay a lot more for it.

EGlobal does sell a 5G model (S20+ G9860) for €680, that according to the page I linked to previously, has the Snapdragon chipset, but is targeted at the China, Hong Kong, Japan and Brazil markets only. Hard to know when they don't list the chipsets anywhere.
    The performance difference between the two chipsets seems primarily to be when playing graphic-intensive games over prolonged periods (where the CPU can get throttled for heat-management), which is not going to be a frequent use case for me, so I reckon the Exynos will be grand for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

From reading up a bit about both chips, it seems that regular every day tasks on the phone there is little to no difference between both.

I was going to source the snapdragon version but don't think its worth the extra cost unless you use the phone for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clashoftheash1

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Ordered my S20+ on July 7th 2020, received on July 28th. so 3 weeks exactly.

So far so good. Language was wrong when turning on but once it recognised sim it restarted and rebooted into English.

28/07/2020 13:42
    The parcel has been delivered.
    Ireland

28/07/2020 08:48
    The parcel is expected to be delivered during the day.
    Ireland

28/07/2020 07:53
    The parcel has reached the parcel center.
    Ireland

27/07/2020 16:40
    The parcel has reached the parcel center.
    Ireland

24/07/2020 23:07
    The parcel has left the parcel center.
    United Kingdom

23/07/2020 18:20
    The parcel has left the parcel center.
    Netherlands

23/07/2020 18:20
    The parcel was handed over to GLS.
    Netherlands

08/07/2020 10:29
    The parcel data was entered into the GLS IT system; the parcel was not yet handed over to GLS.
    Netherlands

Where did you get this information? On the email they sent me they gave me a link to Pro Carrier website but it doesn't have much detail on it about where my parcel is.

I sort of forgot about this thread.

I tried to cancel the order and while waiting for a reply I got an email on 8/08/20 to say stock had arrived and did i want to go ahead with the purchase.

Said I did and the phone arrived yesterday. Less than 2 weeks from dispatch.

It all worked out in the end but the lack of communication from them is a nuisance.

I had my old phone sold but couldn't do that while waiting and it looks like that will cost me a bit of money as CEX prices have dropped a lot since I ordered.

• Advertisement

Mine arrived today. Ordered 22nd July, arrived just shy of 4 weeks later. Not bad, given the cost saving, but the communication is ferocious and I came very close to cancelling a few times. Very happy with the phone, which is now all setup and configured, after a migration from my old S8, which took around 20 minutes.

22nd July - Order
    <silence>
    <some email exchanges - excuses about stock>
    14th August - dispatched
    <random delivery updates without naming actual places>
    20th August - DPD ring the doorbell

CPU-Z confirms it's an Exynos 990, but that's all you're realistically going to get in this country anyway, without buying a phone targeted as US/Canadian carriers, or HK/Korean markets.

I must order a cover so if it could arrive at any moment. Looking at the ESR Metal Kickstand.

Any other recommendations? Looks like the Spigen Tough Armour peels the factory screen protector.

I must order a cover so if it could arrive at any moment. Looking at the ESR Metal Kickstand.

Any other recommendations? Looks like the Spigen Tough Armour peels the factory screen protector.
    It comes with a flexible clear plastic cover. It'll do, while you figure out what works best.

Oh good. I was wondering if it did. Sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Seems like eglobal have removed all Samsung products for some reason? Was gonna pick up the S20 5g but will look elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Seems like eglobal have removed all Samsung products for some reason? Was gonna pick up the S20 5g but will look elsewhere

They did same for UK site last year and then stopped selling them altogether. Looks like EU site now doing the same. Must be due to legal reasons.

Am I the only ape that never got a phone? Been 8 weeks since I ordered. They tell me that it has been dispatched and that the courier has it but the tracking info has never updated and they haven't responded to me in over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Am I the only ape that never got a phone? Been 8 weeks since I ordered. They tell me that it has been dispatched and that the courier has it but the tracking info has never updated and they haven't responded to me in over a week.

This was my experience with them a couple of years ago. Phone dispatched, emailed them after 4 weeks because it hadn't arrived and tracking had it stuck in France. After a few more email they stopped responding altogether. Had to open a paypal dispute which was a painful process, I eventually got my money back after 6 months. This is the risk with eglobal, if everything goes fine then it's a bargain but if anything goes wrong you will get your money back eventually but it's a horrible process.

I think it took me a similar amount of time .

Id leave it another week as I know the tracking on mine wasn't updated for close to 2 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭maik3n

Suitable alternative source perhaps?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-G985-Galaxy-128GB-cosmic/dp/B084LFG1DW/

A few euro more and provided that it's the same model, which I think it is? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Do these still have the camera focus issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Do these still have the camera focus issues?

S20+ never had focus issues as far as I know. Only S20 Ultra did.

This was my experience with them a couple of years ago. Phone dispatched, emailed them after 4 weeks because it hadn't arrived and tracking had it stuck in France. After a few more email they stopped responding altogether. Had to open a paypal dispute which was a painful process, I eventually got my money back after 6 months. This is the risk with eglobal, if everything goes fine then it's a bargain but if anything goes wrong you will get your money back eventually but it's a horrible process.

**** me anyway. Did they just stop responding to you as well? Do I have to contact PayPal to arrange this?

I think it took me a similar amount of time .

Id leave it another week as I know the tracking on mine wasn't updated for close to 2 weeks .

I dunno lad. More than 6 weeks ago they told me "Parcel departed from retailers facility" on the ProTracker website they linked me and it hasn't been updated since.

They told me two weeks ago that they were talking to the courier, that the parcel is in transit and that the tracking information would be updated the following week. That didn't happen and they haven't responded to me since.

Hopefully I do get the phone and I'm going to give them another week or two but Christ is it fair annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

**** me anyway. Did they just stop responding to you as well? Do I have to contact PayPal to arrange this?

Yeah they responded a few times after I started questioning why it was taking so long. They initially fobbed me off with responses similar to what you're getting and then stopped altogether. I'm guessing it was seized at customs somewhere in the EU and sent back to Hong Kong. Anyway when you open a PayPal dispute they first go to the retailer and give them a chance to respond. Eglobal sneakily said I received the phone and so PayPal closed the claim without even asking for proof. I had to get them to reopen it and explained to several PayPal agents over several weeks that I did not receive the phone and eglobal have no proof that I did(like a courier delivery confirmation). PayPal went back to eglobal and then they wouldn't even respond to PayPal so I eventually had my claim upheld. That's the short version btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement