Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think it's transphobic not to date transgender people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

i saw an article that said over 70% of people in the US would not date a transgender man/woman

https://today.yougov.com/topics/relationships/articles-reports/2017/05/17/21-americans-believe-identifying-transgender-menta

Do you think that's just their preference or does it border on the line of transphobic?

It's a personal choice. It's still allowed last time I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, since you posted in LGBT, do you consider it trans-phobic if a lesbian woman will not date a transgender person that identifies as a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Everyone has personal preferences, but I suppose it comes down to your motivation for blanketly disregarding an entire minority group of people because of an innate characteristic of them.

I am much more attracted to femme women than butch women, pretty much exclusively. I can't decide what my brain or body finds attractive. However I wouldn't rule out dating a transwoman I find attractive - because there are lots that I do find attractive, because they are 'my type' (well I would since I'm married but you know what I mean!).

If you refuse on principle not to date a transman or transwoman because you are invalidating their gender then yeah, to me that's transphobic. Just like if you refuse to date someone who's black because of their race then that's racist. I'm sure we all have examples here in Ireland of people refusing the date a catholic or protestant purely because of their religion.

Not being attracted to someone isn't a crime. But ruling out an entire group of people for an innate, fundamental characteristic about themselves they cannot change is pretty discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Everyone has personal preferences, but I suppose it comes down to your motivation for blanketly disregarding an entire minority group of people because of an innate characteristic of them.

I am much more attracted to femme women than butch women, pretty much exclusively. I can't decide what my brain or body finds attractive. However I wouldn't rule out dating a transwoman I find attractive - because there are lots that I do find attractive, because they are 'my type' (well I would since I'm married but you know what I mean!).

If you refuse on principle not to date a transman or transwoman because you are invalidating their gender then yeah, to me that's transphobic. Just like if you refuse to date someone who's black because of their race then that's racist. I'm sure we all have examples here in Ireland of people refusing the date a catholic or protestant purely because of their religion.

Not being attracted to someone isn't a crime. But ruling out an entire group of people for an innate, fundamental characteristic about themselves they cannot change is pretty discriminatory.

Is this a genuine response or a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

100% genuine. Why do you think it's a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

People have choice who to date.
    I'd never date someone I didnt fancy, both from an appearance perspective but arguably more importantly from a personality perspective.

That criteria for me rules out a lot of groups. And that's ok. Some people rule my appearance or personality out too. And that's ok too.

To answer the question, I'd have no problem at all dating a trans woman. But it would depend on other things too, same as any other woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have no issue dating a trans person. I don't think it would make much of a difference to dating someone cis. I do have limits to who I date for example, I wouldn't date someone in their twenties or an elderly person. Is that ageist? Possibly but it's not what I'm interested in. Everyone has their dating preferences, I know women who won't date a short man, men who won't date an overweight woman. There's nothing wrong with it, we can't help who we don't find attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP

I can't honestly take your posts in good faith. You constantly ask questions about issues that might be controversial. It's called trolling. Just scanning your posts you claim to be 19 and 21 and 22 years old, you claim to be bisexual and/or asexual but want to stir up homophobia and transphobia, you claim to be Tanzanian but want to stir up racism.

Nah, not believable. Troll somewhere else.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement