Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

link to copyright outline

• 19-11-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a link that clearly shows how copyright works.

basically pictures were put up on facebook the pictures seem to have been downloaded and put up as a post on another facebook page with attribution
    to the photographer but my understanding that that is copyright theft
    • They did not share the photographers album
    So I'm looking for a link for a reputable source of information that can emailed to the organisation when I have expalined to them what they have done is not best practise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you put stuff on Facebook, the T&C's pretty much allow just about anything to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Heebie wrote: »
    If you put stuff on Facebook, the T&C's pretty much allow just about anything to happen?
    That's always been my understanding. Not that I've put much work into reading their T&Cs; it's just that putting something on the internet is publishing, for a start. And what's shared on Facebook can easily end up being viewed anywhere in the world. And I believe there are variations in copyright law from country to country? (I can't imagine how all that could be policed in any precise way).

I too would like to know of an overview of copyright law. Not only in plain English where possible, but explaining first of all which country's laws apply (say with an Ireland/UK, creator, an Austalian publisher and a US market). And linking at appropriate points to any ways countries differ (just how they differ from the law here, rather than directing us to the full, headache-inducing body of their legislation).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

there are variations but a lot of it is done by international laws. In the aituation I was asking about they took pictures from someones facebook gallery and put up their own gallery of those images. By signing up to facebook I give facebook the right to display my pictures that does not give facebook users the right to put them in their own galleries they can link to my Gallery of images and share the gallery on their facebook page but not download them and create new galleries Now I know that I was looking for a link to official documentation.

Well, that sounds definitely Not Cricket, if nothing elseI

I've occasionally wandered into unknown (to me) copyright/privacy territory on Facebook, but never that far.

For instance when a friend died a few years ago and I didn't have a decent photo of him. A search found an excellent one, but no leads to finding out who took it. There were two dead friends in it and I downloaded a copy for my own use. I then cropped it and posted it on Facebook re friend 1, and the whole photo on friend 2's commemorative page. Almost certainly by a professional, being sharp and well composed despite being of a rock band in mid number, and shot indoors in the 1960s. I did say 'With thanks to whoever the photographer is', but nobody ever got in touch or came up with a clue. It could be in the public domain I suppose. (And my clear memories of the 60s are a bit unusual, apparently!).

Belated thanks for the pointer re international law. It could be useful re my own photos/painting/writings, as well as re other people's copyright.

Did you find your clarification yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

You can make a report of copyright infringment with facebook and they can be removed. The alternative route is to write to the person warning them if they do not remove the photos you will issue proceedings against them seeking an injunction as a result of the breach of your intellectual property rights. This would be ill advised.

• Advertisement

You can make a report of copyright infringment with facebook and they can be removed. The alternative route is to write to the person warning them if they do not remove the photos you will issue proceedings against them seeking an injunction as a result of the breach of your intellectual property rights. This would be ill advised.

Yes I know that I could go all 'angry photographer' on them and be within my rights but I would prefer a calmer conversation to ensure it does not happen again. Basically an organisation that I work with works with them and its not a big town so politeness is required. this is why I am looking for a quick outline of copyright law from a reputable source.

Well, it all sounds definitely Not Cricket, sheesh, if nothing elseI (I've occasionally wandered into unknown (to me) copyright/privacy territory on Facebook, but never that far).

Belated thanks for the pointer re international law. It could be useful re my own photos/painting/writings, as well as re other people's copyright.

Good luck, anyway (it would be interesting and informative to know the outcome).

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Well, it all sounds definitely Not Cricket, sheesh, if nothing elseI (I've occasionally wandered into unknown (to me) copyright/privacy territory on Facebook, but never that far).

Good luck, anyway (it would be interesting and informative to know the outcome).

to be honest I don't consider this a facebook issue it is more rude than anything else I wasn't shooting commercially the person putting it up was not getting paid that much, if anything, the organisation was a non profit, They just need to be careful.

While the video mainly deals with video copyright a section on photography starts here.

He says at the start of the video that all the information has been supplied by solicitors

I'm putting it up so if you need a quick guide to show people that there can be quiet bad consequences to just taking images even on facebook. The Usage rights are given to facebook not to individual users of facebook.

Very useful sheesh, and to lots of us I'm sure. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Advertisement