Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2019, 18:24   #1
me4many

Old sky box

How can I get an old sky box to work with a newish LG tv... I don't see any sign of a signal when I make the connection
Thanks
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 21:53   #2
hesker

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4many View Post
How can I get an old sky box to work with a newish LG tv... I don't see any sign of a signal when I make the connection
Thanks
What do you mean by signal. Can you bring up the sky setup menu with no sat cable connected to the box. If you can’t check if you can do this with another tv if you have one to hand.
18-11-2019, 21:55   #3
colm_mcm

Are you connecting with HDMI or SCART? Have you selected the correct input on the TV?
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 12:32   #4
me4many

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Are you connecting with HDMI or SCART? Have you selected the correct input on the TV?
No I don't get the sky menu...

The lead I have is a scart on one end and three cable connections on the other...

I not sure if they are meant for tv or for an audio player... ( is there a difference )
Thanks..
19-11-2019, 12:42   #5
CoBo55

Is it scart at the sky box and the three plugs at the TV? The three plugs are, red= audio right, white= audio left and yellow= video output.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 13:21   #6
me4many

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Is it scart at the sky box and the three plugs at the TV? The three plugs are, red= audio right, white= audio left and yellow= video output.
That's it...
19-11-2019, 13:24   #7
Riskymove

your AV source needs to be set to "Component" or similar I'd guess
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 13:49   #8
CoBo55

Quote:
That's it...
There's usually a border around the three sockets and the name under them AV1 or something similar. Connect the sky box and turn it on, using the source button on the TV remote keep pressing until you see the sky menu.
19-11-2019, 14:20   #9
me4many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskymove View Post
your AV source needs to be set to "Component" or similar I'd guess
I've tried "component" but unfortunately still no luck..
When the sky q box was there it was connected with a HDMI cable but there is no HDMI port on the old box...
I might get sky connected again next year but in the meanwhile I'd like to get the old free box to work...
Thanks for replies..
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 16:34   #10
colm_mcm

Does the TV have a SCART socket?

I’m guessing not.

I have a 2018 LG smart tv and I don’t think it has any component plugs at all.

Last edited by colm_mcm; 19-11-2019 at 16:41.
19-11-2019, 17:29   #11
LenWoods

Quote:
When the sky q box was there it was connected with a HDMI cable but there is no HDMI port on the old box...
I might get sky connected again next year but in the meanwhile I'd like to get the old free box to work...
Thanks for replies..
You might like to try adverts or Ebay for a sky HD multiroom box they have a HDMI output and no hard drive. Making them completely silent;
Ideal option for freeview as you cant record without subscription anyway.
I'm subscribed to virgin media in the living room and I use sky HD multiroom boxes in other rooms along with an old uk sky viewing Card which provides alot more free channels than an Irish one.
19-11-2019, 17:53   #12
coylemj

Quote:
Component involves three connections for video and two (L & R) for audio.

You only have one connection (yellow) for video, that is called Composite.

In the picture below, the top row is for a composite connection, the yellow port alone handles video. For component, you'd use the same audio connectors on the top row but the video feed would be to the three connectors below.

You say you have a 'newish' LG TV, you really do not want to be using a composite connection, the picture quality on a modern TV will be dire. Are there any other outlets on the Sky box?

Last edited by coylemj; 19-11-2019 at 18:04.
19-11-2019, 18:30   #13
colm_mcm

I just checked my own LG and it has component (YPbPr) , but not composite connectors. Would I be right in saying it’s composite you’d need?
19-11-2019, 18:46   #14
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
I just checked my own LG and it has component (YPbPr) , but not composite connectors. Would I be right in saying it’s composite you’d need?
I believe the OP does need composite, see my post above.

Composite used to be a separate (yellow) port as shown in the photo above but on many modern TVs, one of the component ports can take a composite signal. It’s usually indicated if you look for it.
19-11-2019, 18:48   #15
colm_mcm

Now that you say it, the green is actually half green and half yellow so it probably does both. Plugged in an old console and it worked.
The composite option is hidden in the menus, you need to select input, then all inputs, then composite.

If it’s an LG Smart tv it should have an inbuilt satellite tuner. If so then no need for sky box.

If sky q was installed there before as the only box connected to the dish, you will need to change the LNB on the dish to be able to use either the old Sky box or the inbuilt satellite tuner in the TV.

Last edited by colm_mcm; 19-11-2019 at 19:00.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion