Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher than average ESB bill. Rented property w/ Storage Heaters

• 18-11-2019 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I posted in heating and plumbing to get an idea of the cause of the issue

This thread is for the best course of action to get it resolved ASAP

Received an esb bill 400 Euro above average. Meter was read and so was the last bill in September. Myself and my oh are rarely in the house and we are very good with insuring things are switched off. The only thing it can be is the storage heaters. This has got me thinking...
    The only major thing that has changed in the last billing cycle is that the time changed. The night rate is from 11-8.
    Our house has storage heaters in the communal areas. There is no timer on them and I’m not sure how they are programmed
    We have noticed a clunk sound each morning and night(this used to be at 11pm and 8am and it’s now an hour earlier for both)

To me this sounds like the night meter is off and the storage heaters are off sync when they input.

In the past when I have had issues the agency would send out a fix it Freddy who is unreliable, as in he won’t show up, he’ll look at it and need to come back and will take a week or two to get back.

Given this is costing us sorely on usage is there anything I can do to a)Ensure it’s resolved quicker and b) have the agency pay for the costs incurred as a result of the out of sync ness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi all

I posted in heating and plumbing to get an idea of the cause of the issue

This thread is for the best course of action to get it resolved ASAP

Received an esb bill 400 Euro above average. Meter was read and so was the last bill in September. Myself and my oh are rarely in the house and we are very good with insuring things are switched off. The only thing it can be is the storage heaters. This has got me thinking...
    The only major thing that has changed in the last billing cycle is that the time changed. The night rate is from 11-8.
    Our house has storage heaters in the communal areas. There is no timer on them and I’m not sure how they are programmed
    We have noticed a clunk sound each morning and night(this used to be at 11pm and 8am and it’s now an hour earlier for both)

To me this sounds like the night meter is off and the storage heaters are off sync when they input.

In the past when I have had issues the agency would send out a fix it Freddy who is unreliable, as in he won’t show up, he’ll look at it and need to come back and will take a week or two to get back.

Given this is costing us sorely on usage is there anything I can do to a)Ensure it’s resolved quicker and b) have the agency pay for the costs incurred as a result of the out of sync ness

A) call them until it’s resolved.
    B)The agency will not pay for your electricity usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you checked to see if you have come off a contract/deal with your electricity provider on to a higher rate?

Storage heaters are expensive if not set correctly, but google is your friend, it isn’t too difficult to adjust thermostat/reset timer.

Your LL/agency will not pay for the electricity you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

A lot of storage heaters have a secondary boost function, the boost function which provides instant heat, you should insure the isn't running in tandem with the overnight storage function. If you have secondary convection heaters in bedrooms you should ensure they are set on timers for when to come on so as to be most efficient for when you use them. Lastly just ensure the inputs are set for appropriate heating for the current weather it's very tempting to stick them on max and have an overly toasty enviornment.

You have my sympathies though have been caught with a very high heating bill myself before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Dav010 wrote: »
    Have you checked to see if you have come off a contract/deal with your electricity provider on to a higher rate?

Storage heaters are expensive if not set correctly, but google is your friend, it isn’t too difficult to adjust thermostat/reset timer.

Your LL/agency will not pay for the electricity you use.

Hey Dav,

We have a thermostat all right but no timer. There is literally nothing visible for the storage heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

if you have no controls on the storage heaters- maybe you can see the controls on the consumer unit/ fusebox? You might see a dial (turned with a screwdriver) indicating +4, +2, 0, -2, -4. Looks like this: https://store.danfoss.com/no/en/Heating-and-District-Energy/Electrical-heating/DEVI-Electrical-Heating/DEVI-Thermostats/DEVIreg%E2%84%A2-330-series/p/140F1072

• Advertisement

Joe Schmo wrote: »
    if you have no controls on the storage heaters- maybe you can see the controls on the consumer unit/ fusebox? You might see a dial (turned with a screwdriver) indicating +4, +2, 0, -2, -4. Looks like this: https://store.danfoss.com/no/en/Heating-and-District-Energy/Electrical-heating/DEVI-Electrical-Heating/DEVI-Thermostats/DEVIreg%E2%84%A2-330-series/p/140F1072

Thanks man, Johny fix it is coming out so will have a look

Fol20 wrote: »
    A) call them until it’s resolved.
    B)The agency will not pay for your electricity usage.

Thanks

The agency emailed me saying their contractor would contact me today. Have yet to receive a call

Typically how long should it take to solve

What would be defined as a reasonable time.

They agency operates nationally

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Well i'm not sure if you understand it but the night rate is 12-9am in the summer months and 11-8am in the winter - this is purely just daylight savings as the meters themselves are static and should be left alone. When I moved in (this is going back 5 years so please excuse me if I'm fuzzy on the detail) I had an issue with the meter itself not being timed right and I rang ESB networks and I think they took a look at it for me as they own the meter. Worth calling them anyway. Alternatively ask the agency to send someone to ensure its timed correctly.

I had storage heaters in my last home and never found the bills too bad even in winter.

Worst one was probably around the 350 mark but that was for 2 months, and the property was electric only so there was no other utility bill. Added to that my OH works from home so our bills are probably always high because the house is always occupied, and actually for this scenario Storage Heaters are good because they provide a constant low level heat even if the output us turned down to minimum.

Anyways, if you're hearing a clunk at 11pm and 8am currently then that sounds right to me. Basically the meters don't change so you have to know the times in summer/winter and act accordingly. If your storage heaters are anything like mine, then theres just an input and output control. I always set input at about 4 (out of 6) and maybe only upped it to the max if there was a severe cold snap forecast. I would typically always set output at 1 (out of 6) to ensure the heaters didnt give out all their heat too early in the day.

To make the most of your night rate meter, you should try to run any items that use a lot of electricity at night if you can. I have a timer on my washing machine that I'd set for 6/7am and them empty it when I got up whcih was actually really handy and helped offset other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please take a picture of the front of the storage heater. Someone may be able to tell you where the controls are on it.

Quite often there is a square panel on it somewhere that will open and show you the current settings.

As for the agency, ring them when Mr Fixit doesn't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

skinny90 wrote: »
    Thanks

The agency emailed me saying their contractor would contact me today. Have yet to receive a call

Typically how long should it take to solve

What would be defined as a reasonable time.

They agency operates nationally

Thanks

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

i would put this under "routine" as you still have heating albeit expensive.Keep in mind, these time frames are suggested and not set in stone and depend on parts and labour can take longer than this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement