Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2019, 10:29   #46
Shoelaces

Always tip wait staff unless obvious poor service. Minimum 10%. Most service jobs are minimum wage and that extra bit helps out a lot with the insane rents and cost of living in the city. Everyone should spend a year or two in the hell that is the service industry.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 10:48   #47
DelBoy Trotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hynesie08 View Post
Do you get a performance based bonus in work? or a voucher at christmas? a bottle of whiskey from a supplier perhaps?? What's the difference?
Was about to ask the same question!
01-11-2019, 10:56   #48
whisky_galore

Waiting staff only if a full meal and service deserves it.
Otherwise fcuk off. I'm not tipping all and sundry.
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2019, 11:00   #49
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Rambo View Post
Rural people not so much.
They give money to the postman at Christmas and heaps to the church.

Usually they a give a meal or at least tea and cake/sarnies to workmen.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 12:41   #50
Tammy!

Usually tip in restaurants, hairdressers, taxi etc.

Someone told me before if you're planning on giving someone a big tip like I don't know a party organiser or delivery guys if youre moving house, if you can, tip them before because they'll do a better job for you.
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 13:06   #51
razorblunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy! View Post
Usually tip in restaurants, hairdressers, taxi etc.

Someone told me before if you're planning on giving someone a big tip like I don't know a party organiser or delivery guys if youre moving house, if you can, tip them before because they'll do a better job for you.
Fock that.

Do the work they're paid for, if you feel they went above and beyond let them have a tip (for the specific examples you gave).

If service in a restaurant is good i.e. attentive to the table, not asking if everything is ok when your mouth is full etc, I'll give a tip.

I just wish Americans would do similar when they go on holidays, they seem to think their tipping takes a vacation too.

The States is a killer though, you get the over sincere falseness by them to get the good tips but for the most part they're jonny on the spot for next rounds and food and stuff.

I don't have a problem telling them they've lost a decent tip if it's really poor though.
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2019, 13:33   #52
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hynesie08 View Post
Do you get a performance based bonus in work? or a voucher at christmas? a bottle of whiskey from a supplier perhaps?? What's the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBoy Trotter View Post
Was about to ask the same question!
Absolutely no comparison between a bonus (which I don’t get), or a voucher at Christmas (which I don’t get). These are paid by your employer and are essentially part of your salary/wages the same as if a person in a restaurant received a bonus from their employer.

Getting a bottle of whiskey from a supplier would be closer but still not the same as it’s really just something the supplier would be expensing.

It’s like saying me buying dinner for a client is giving them a tip when I just claim the cost back as a business expense.
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2019, 13:54   #53
Tammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
Fock that.

Do the work they're paid for, if you feel they went above and beyond let them have a tip (for the specific examples you gave).
It's not really that far fetched. You wouldn't do it for many things but for certain things if someone was doing a big enough job for you and you plan on tipping them anyway then it's not that out there to tip them before. They'll know you appreciate them and if they do **** up or do a shoddy job, you can still complain.
01-11-2019, 14:42   #54
chrissb8

Tip if the job has been done to a good standard and they have been attentive, caring and in some cases gone that extra bit. I'm not into tipping just for tippings sake.

Don't put your money into the chancers with their jars or stupid baskets with some crap "funny joke" slapped on the front. You get a tip as an unwarranted thank you, you don't get it when you ask for it and assume you're entitled to it by putting out some jar like you're a charity case. You get paid a wage, like all of us, I am not paying you for doing something you are already being paid for.

The biggest annoyance is people falling over themselves to tip a fiver each at a dinner table. Being there for an hour or so as they brought out starters and a main while it was mildly busy. Infact the waiter has just been cleaning cutlery since we've been here. So why the hell does that mean they deserve a 20eu tip? Just this weird irrationality I hate around it.

Hung up on "what will they think if I don't tip?" or "I best contribute something here or they'll think I'm a scab". There are other ways to show your gratitude with a smile and a thank you very much. I couldn't care less if they think less of me for not giving my money.

Last edited by chrissb8; 01-11-2019 at 15:00.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 15:00   #55
hynesie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Absolutely no comparison between a bonus (which I don’t get), or a voucher at Christmas (which I don’t get). These are paid by your employer and are essentially part of your salary/wages the same as if a person in a restaurant received a bonus from their employer.

Getting a bottle of whiskey from a supplier would be closer but still not the same as it’s really just something the supplier would be expensing.

It’s like saying me buying dinner for a client is giving them a tip when I just claim the cost back as a business expense.
Ask anyone who's had their bonus slashed/removed if it's part of their wages.....

So is it the concept of tipping or the source of the money you have an issue with, do you tip when you're expensing the meal.....
01-11-2019, 15:14   #56
whisky_galore

Quote:
I would regard that as a thank you for choosing them over a competitor. In terms of the thousands of euro of business you send their way the cost of a bottle is loose change.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 16:10   #57
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
From my understanding this is no longer true in most cases but of course the idea that it is is still pushed to make people tip more.

Also as I said a lot of the service industry are well paid, bar tenders definitely do yet get tipped heavily for example.

I still tip over there as their ridiculous system would nearly mean you are treated as not paying if you don’t. But outside the US I won’t tip, I’m very strongly against it and have often ended up in arguments out with friends as I will simply not add extra money to the pot for a tip and that sort of thing. It’s an idiotic practice that if everyone stopped doing it the expectation would stop.

No they don’t, I’m in many countries regularly for work which means lots of meals out, taxis etc and there is no tipping nor an expectation for it to happen.
“In most cases” - are you joking? The crappy system is still mostly intact in the US.

Rowing with friends over tipping - christ. I’d be more eager to tip if faced with someone like that, to piss them off..
01-11-2019, 16:19   #58
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
“In most cases” - are you joking? The crappy system is still mostly intact in the US.

Rowing with friends over tipping - christ. I’d be more eager to tip if faced with someone like that, to piss them off..
I'd definitely be in favour of it being abolished completely and for staff to be paid appropriately. Then, if you want to tip, you do so but it shouldn't be deemed as obligatory.

The fake smile and, 'How ARE youuuuu' to elicit tips is painful when you know it is only for that purpose.

My card didn't work in a bar recently and I had no cash, the barman let me leave and go to an ATM, about 10 minute round trip to get cash without any fuss or security. He deserved the tip he got.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 16:20   #59
BuboBubo

I don't tip. Hairdressers and restaurants are expensive enough without adding more to the cost. I never get taxis etc

I've never been to the US.
01-11-2019, 17:15   #60
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
I'd definitely be in favour of it being abolished completely and for staff to be paid appropriately. Then, if you want to tip, you do so but it shouldn't be deemed as obligatory.

The fake smile and, 'How ARE youuuuu' to elicit tips is painful when you know it is only for that purpose.

My card didn't work in a bar recently and I had no cash, the barman let me leave and go to an ATM, about 10 minute round trip to get cash without any fuss or security. He deserved the tip he got.
Me too. But the system is hard to change. Not tipping just screws over the worker.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion