Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2019, 07:53   #31
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
Service industry people in the US are not well paid and you're tips make them their living. I don't like the system either but that's the way it is.
From my understanding this is no longer true in most cases but of course the idea that it is is still pushed to make people tip more.

Also as I said a lot of the service industry are well paid, bar tenders definitely do yet get tipped heavily for example.

I still tip over there as their ridiculous system would nearly mean you are treated as not paying if you don’t. But outside the US I won’t tip, I’m very strongly against it and have often ended up in arguments out with friends as I will simply not add extra money to the pot for a tip and that sort of thing. It’s an idiotic practice that if everyone stopped doing it the expectation would stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Stiggie View Post
Pretty much everywhere in Europe except for the Nordic countries has a tipping culture.
No they don’t, I’m in many countries regularly for work which means lots of meals out, taxis etc and there is no tipping nor an expectation for it to happen.

Last edited by nox001; 01-11-2019 at 08:05.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 07:54   #32
Foweva Awone

I tip my hairdresser, barber and nail girl a fiver each time. My hairdresser is just very good at what she does. My barber, well I have an undercut and like to get fancy designs shaved in it, and it's hard to get someone who does them well. So I go to the same guy every time and always tip him. Same with my nails, I almost always go for detailed nail art that takes a bit of time, and she never disappoints me!

Eating out, or in a taxi, I'll round up the bill to the nearest fiver or tenner. I don't tip all that extravagantly because it just doesn't make sense to me - think of all the people we encounter each day on similar wages as waiting staff, e.g. in supermarkets etc, who might also do a great job and with a good attitude, and we don't tip them. Why would waiting staff be any different?
01-11-2019, 07:54   #33
facehugger99

Barbers.
Waiting Staff
The Lounge Staff who brings me over my drinks
Taxi Drivers
Food Delivery Dudes

I tip all of the above - makes me feel good. People who begrudge tipping are generally just mean and miserable in many facets of their life I have found.

Having said that, I never saw the point of tipping Mechanic, the Postman or Bin Collectors TBH.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 08:13   #34
naughtysmurf

In the late 80's I was working in a pretty average non descript family restaurant in the US, 5X8 hour shifts a week got you less than $200 from the employer but $100 a night in tips wouldn't have been unusual in high season, at end of shift you'd have to tip out, 10% or 15% (can't remember) to the bus boy/girl that was clearing & resetting your tables, if you worked in a nice high end / expensive place I'd say a decent living would be made over there,

15% of the pre tax bill is the absolute minimum expected in the US, 18% to 22% is often printed on the bill as a guide, have seen that a lot in Orlando, if you managed to get a job in the more expensive Disney or Universal restaurants I'd say you be doing ok, tips are taxable afaik

Here, barber, food delivery guy gets €2, in a restaurant for dinner I'd leave approx 10%
01-11-2019, 08:27   #35
Woke Hogan

Tipping encourages employers not to pay their workers a living wage. If I was in the States or anywhere else where you would pretty much have to do it, I would tip. But it's definitely a culture I don't want to be introduced here.
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 08:32   #36
Corvo

Tip taxi men, my barber, waiting staff.

Taxi man can keep whatever change (so €8 taxi pay €10)

Usually tip the barber a €5

Waiting staff always €10-€15 if I enjoy the meal
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2019, 08:34   #37
Odyssey 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvo View Post
Tip taxi men, my barber, waiting staff.

Taxi man can keep whatever change (so €8 taxi pay €10)

Usually tip the barber a €5

Waiting staff always €10-€15 if I enjoy the meal
Ppl tip taximen ???
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2019, 08:37   #38
Professor Genius

I always tip well for fear of someone spitting, pissing, defecating or jizzing in my food the next time I’m in the restaurant
01-11-2019, 08:37   #39
Nevin Parsnipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Rambo View Post
Dublin family, so we tip.

Restaurant serving staff - 10 to 15% if the service and food is good.
Bar staff - the odd 20 or 50c for a round. (always appreciated and works well towards the end of the night)
Barber - €1 or €2. It's a convivial pleasant place with an excellent service.
Taxi driver - maybe €1 but sometimes nothing.
Deliver food guy - maybe €1 but rarely order food.
Have a regular DPD delivery guy that gets a bottle of wine once a year. We like him and he'd text us if we're not there to hide the delivery.
Postman - gets a bottle every year, he's a good guy and looks after us.
Ethnic noodle/shushi bar/crepe/Tex-Mex joint - maybe change (€1) in the tip jar.
Creche workers - good quality hand creme at xmas
We have a cracking mechanic that really looks after us with cars and camper, always there for an emergency with low prices - good bottle of wine the odd time.
Cycle mechanics - €2 tip for servicing the bikes once a year.

It doesn't add up to a huge amount of money. I see it as a low cost gratuity for good service that ensures future better service that stands to us. If our mechanic has two calls in one night. I know which one he'll head to first.

If there's a service charge there'd be little or no tip.

We certainly don't tip professionals like solicitors, doctors etc... they, like myself don't need to be tipped.

https://youtu.be/V4sbYy0WdGQ
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 08:50   #40
blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential-Monke View Post
I know really sweet f all about synesthesia, but from my limited reading and YouTube articles, some of it sounds amazing. I'm sure that's not always the case, but I'd love to be able to see sound as colour without the assistance of hallucinogens!
I don’t usually experience that. I see colour or light sometimes when experiencing strong emotion.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 08:50   #41
Banned

Food delivery (few euros), restaurants (10% - 15%), jazz driver/drinks (10%), attractive member(10%)

I can't believe Irish in this thread won't tip in restaurants,. And They said I was born with a baguette under my arm.
01-11-2019, 10:11   #42
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas77 View Post
Food delivery (few euros), restaurants (10% - 15%), jazz driver/drinks (10%), attractive member(10%)

I can't believe Irish in this thread won't tip in restaurants,. And They said I was born with a baguette under my arm.
Why should I have to pay more than the allotted price for the product or service.

You see people spending half their weekend crawling through aldi and lidl to save a few cent on a loaf of bread and some of the same people will hand over 15% more on top of the cost of a service or meal. Nonsense of the highest order.

When someone starts tipping me for doing the job I’m paid to do then I will consider tipping other people for doing the job they are paid to do.
01-11-2019, 10:16   #43
hynesie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Why should I have to pay more than the allotted price for the product or service.

You see people spending half their weekend crawling through aldi and lidl to save a few cent on a loaf of bread and some of the same people will hand over 15% more on top of the cost of a service or meal. Nonsense of the highest order.

When someone starts tipping me for doing the job I’m paid to do then I will consider tipping other people for doing the job they are paid to do.
Do you get a performance based bonus in work? or a voucher at christmas? a bottle of whiskey from a supplier perhaps?? What's the difference?
01-11-2019, 10:20   #44
John_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by munster87 View Post
What’s the relevance of a Dublin family?
City and urban people tend to tip in Ireland. Rural people not so much.

Work in a restaurant you'll see.
01-11-2019, 10:27   #45
topper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by munster87 View Post
What’s the relevance of a Dublin family?
Just means that they are accustomed to having to hand out a euro for the hostel or the bus home.

People outside of Dublin don't encounter this. Money is only ever handed over in exchange for work in the form of wages paid by the owner.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion