Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Tip or not to Tip - what are the rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I tip my hairdresser, barber and nail girl a fiver each time. My hairdresser is just very good at what she does. My barber, well I have an undercut and like to get fancy designs shaved in it, and it's hard to get someone who does them well. So I go to the same guy every time and always tip him. Same with my nails, I almost always go for detailed nail art that takes a bit of time, and she never disappoints me!

Eating out, or in a taxi, I'll round up the bill to the nearest fiver or tenner. I don't tip all that extravagantly because it just doesn't make sense to me - think of all the people we encounter each day on similar wages as waiting staff, e.g. in supermarkets etc, who might also do a great job and with a good attitude, and we don't tip them. Why would waiting staff be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Barbers.
    Waiting Staff
    The Lounge Staff who brings me over my drinks
    Taxi Drivers
    Food Delivery Dudes

I tip all of the above - makes me feel good. People who begrudge tipping are generally just mean and miserable in many facets of their life I have found.

Having said that, I never saw the point of tipping Mechanic, the Postman or Bin Collectors TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

In the late 80's I was working in a pretty average non descript family restaurant in the US, 5X8 hour shifts a week got you less than $200 from the employer but $100 a night in tips wouldn't have been unusual in high season, at end of shift you'd have to tip out, 10% or 15% (can't remember) to the bus boy/girl that was clearing & resetting your tables, if you worked in a nice high end / expensive place I'd say a decent living would be made over there,

15% of the pre tax bill is the absolute minimum expected in the US, 18% to 22% is often printed on the bill as a guide, have seen that a lot in Orlando, if you managed to get a job in the more expensive Disney or Universal restaurants I'd say you be doing ok, tips are taxable afaik

Here, barber, food delivery guy gets €2, in a restaurant for dinner I'd leave approx 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Tipping encourages employers not to pay their workers a living wage. If I was in the States or anywhere else where you would pretty much have to do it, I would tip. But it's definitely a culture I don't want to be introduced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

Tip taxi men, my barber, waiting staff.

Taxi man can keep whatever change (so €8 taxi pay €10)

Usually tip the barber a €5

Waiting staff always €10-€15 if I enjoy the meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Corvo wrote: »
    Tip taxi men, my barber, waiting staff.

Taxi man can keep whatever change (so €8 taxi pay €10)

Usually tip the barber a €5

Waiting staff always €10-€15 if I enjoy the meal

Ppl tip taximen ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I always tip well for fear of someone spitting, pissing, defecating or jizzing in my food the next time I’m in the restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Dublin family, so we tip.

Restaurant serving staff - 10 to 15% if the service and food is good.
    Bar staff - the odd 20 or 50c for a round. (always appreciated and works well towards the end of the night)
    Barber - €1 or €2. It's a convivial pleasant place with an excellent service.
    Taxi driver - maybe €1 but sometimes nothing.
    Deliver food guy - maybe €1 but rarely order food.
    Have a regular DPD delivery guy that gets a bottle of wine once a year. We like him and he'd text us if we're not there to hide the delivery.
    Postman - gets a bottle every year, he's a good guy and looks after us.
    Ethnic noodle/shushi bar/crepe/Tex-Mex joint - maybe change (€1) in the tip jar.
    Creche workers - good quality hand creme at xmas
    We have a cracking mechanic that really looks after us with cars and camper, always there for an emergency with low prices - good bottle of wine the odd time.
    Cycle mechanics - €2 tip for servicing the bikes once a year.

It doesn't add up to a huge amount of money. I see it as a low cost gratuity for good service that ensures future better service that stands to us. If our mechanic has two calls in one night. I know which one he'll head to first.

If there's a service charge there'd be little or no tip.

We certainly don't tip professionals like solicitors, doctors etc... they, like myself don't need to be tipped.

https://youtu.be/V4sbYy0WdGQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I know really sweet f all about synesthesia, but from my limited reading and YouTube articles, some of it sounds amazing. I'm sure that's not always the case, but I'd love to be able to see sound as colour without the assistance of hallucinogens!
    I don’t usually experience that. I see colour or light sometimes when experiencing strong emotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Food delivery (few euros), restaurants (10% - 15%), jazz driver/drinks (10%), attractive member(10%)

I can't believe Irish in this thread won't tip in restaurants,. And They said I was born with a baguette under my arm.

• Advertisement

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Food delivery (few euros), restaurants (10% - 15%), jazz driver/drinks (10%), attractive member(10%)

I can't believe Irish in this thread won't tip in restaurants,. And They said I was born with a baguette under my arm.

Why should I have to pay more than the allotted price for the product or service.

You see people spending half their weekend crawling through aldi and lidl to save a few cent on a loaf of bread and some of the same people will hand over 15% more on top of the cost of a service or meal. Nonsense of the highest order.

When someone starts tipping me for doing the job I’m paid to do then I will consider tipping other people for doing the job they are paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why should I have to pay more than the allotted price for the product or service.

You see people spending half their weekend crawling through aldi and lidl to save a few cent on a loaf of bread and some of the same people will hand over 15% more on top of the cost of a service or meal. Nonsense of the highest order.

When someone starts tipping me for doing the job I’m paid to do then I will consider tipping other people for doing the job they are paid to do.

Do you get a performance based bonus in work? or a voucher at christmas? a bottle of whiskey from a supplier perhaps?? What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

munster87 wrote: »
    What’s the relevance of a Dublin family?

City and urban people tend to tip in Ireland. Rural people not so much.

Work in a restaurant you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

munster87 wrote: »
    What’s the relevance of a Dublin family?

Just means that they are accustomed to having to hand out a euro for the hostel or the bus home.

People outside of Dublin don't encounter this. Money is only ever handed over in exchange for work in the form of wages paid by the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Always tip wait staff unless obvious poor service. Minimum 10%. Most service jobs are minimum wage and that extra bit helps out a lot with the insane rents and cost of living in the city. Everyone should spend a year or two in the hell that is the service industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Do you get a performance based bonus in work? or a voucher at christmas? a bottle of whiskey from a supplier perhaps?? What's the difference?

Was about to ask the same question!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Waiting staff only if a full meal and service deserves it.
    Otherwise fcuk off. I'm not tipping all and sundry.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Rural people not so much.

They give money to the postman at Christmas and heaps to the church.

Usually they a give a meal or at least tea and cake/sarnies to workmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Usually tip in restaurants, hairdressers, taxi etc.

Someone told me before if you're planning on giving someone a big tip like I don't know a party organiser or delivery guys if youre moving house, if you can, tip them before because they'll do a better job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tammy! wrote: »
    Usually tip in restaurants, hairdressers, taxi etc.

Someone told me before if you're planning on giving someone a big tip like I don't know a party organiser or delivery guys if youre moving house, if you can, tip them before because they'll do a better job for you.

Fock that.

Do the work they're paid for, if you feel they went above and beyond let them have a tip (for the specific examples you gave).

If service in a restaurant is good i.e. attentive to the table, not asking if everything is ok when your mouth is full etc, I'll give a tip.

I just wish Americans would do similar when they go on holidays, they seem to think their tipping takes a vacation too.

The States is a killer though, you get the over sincere falseness by them to get the good tips but for the most part they're jonny on the spot for next rounds and food and stuff.

I don't have a problem telling them they've lost a decent tip if it's really poor though.

• Advertisement

Was about to ask the same question!

Absolutely no comparison between a bonus (which I don’t get), or a voucher at Christmas (which I don’t get). These are paid by your employer and are essentially part of your salary/wages the same as if a person in a restaurant received a bonus from their employer.

Getting a bottle of whiskey from a supplier would be closer but still not the same as it’s really just something the supplier would be expensing.

It’s like saying me buying dinner for a client is giving them a tip when I just claim the cost back as a business expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Fock that.

Do the work they're paid for, if you feel they went above and beyond let them have a tip (for the specific examples you gave).

It's not really that far fetched. You wouldn't do it for many things but for certain things if someone was doing a big enough job for you and you plan on tipping them anyway then it's not that out there to tip them before. They'll know you appreciate them and if they do **** up or do a shoddy job, you can still complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Tip if the job has been done to a good standard and they have been attentive, caring and in some cases gone that extra bit. I'm not into tipping just for tippings sake.

Don't put your money into the chancers with their jars or stupid baskets with some crap "funny joke" slapped on the front. You get a tip as an unwarranted thank you, you don't get it when you ask for it and assume you're entitled to it by putting out some jar like you're a charity case. You get paid a wage, like all of us, I am not paying you for doing something you are already being paid for.

The biggest annoyance is people falling over themselves to tip a fiver each at a dinner table. Being there for an hour or so as they brought out starters and a main while it was mildly busy. Infact the waiter has just been cleaning cutlery since we've been here. So why the hell does that mean they deserve a 20eu tip? Just this weird irrationality I hate around it.

Hung up on "what will they think if I don't tip?" or "I best contribute something here or they'll think I'm a scab". There are other ways to show your gratitude with a smile and a thank you very much. I couldn't care less if they think less of me for not giving my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Absolutely no comparison between a bonus (which I don’t get), or a voucher at Christmas (which I don’t get). These are paid by your employer and are essentially part of your salary/wages the same as if a person in a restaurant received a bonus from their employer.

Getting a bottle of whiskey from a supplier would be closer but still not the same as it’s really just something the supplier would be expensing.

It’s like saying me buying dinner for a client is giving them a tip when I just claim the cost back as a business expense.

Ask anyone who's had their bonus slashed/removed if it's part of their wages.....

So is it the concept of tipping or the source of the money you have an issue with, do you tip when you're expensing the meal.....

I would regard that as a thank you for choosing them over a competitor. In terms of the thousands of euro of business you send their way the cost of a bottle is loose change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

From my understanding this is no longer true in most cases but of course the idea that it is is still pushed to make people tip more.

Also as I said a lot of the service industry are well paid, bar tenders definitely do yet get tipped heavily for example.

I still tip over there as their ridiculous system would nearly mean you are treated as not paying if you don’t. But outside the US I won’t tip, I’m very strongly against it and have often ended up in arguments out with friends as I will simply not add extra money to the pot for a tip and that sort of thing. It’s an idiotic practice that if everyone stopped doing it the expectation would stop.

No they don’t, I’m in many countries regularly for work which means lots of meals out, taxis etc and there is no tipping nor an expectation for it to happen.

“In most cases” - are you joking? The crappy system is still mostly intact in the US.

Rowing with friends over tipping - christ. I’d be more eager to tip if faced with someone like that, to piss them off..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

“In most cases” - are you joking? The crappy system is still mostly intact in the US.

Rowing with friends over tipping - christ. I’d be more eager to tip if faced with someone like that, to piss them off..

I'd definitely be in favour of it being abolished completely and for staff to be paid appropriately. Then, if you want to tip, you do so but it shouldn't be deemed as obligatory.

The fake smile and, 'How ARE youuuuu' to elicit tips is painful when you know it is only for that purpose.

My card didn't work in a bar recently and I had no cash, the barman let me leave and go to an ATM, about 10 minute round trip to get cash without any fuss or security. He deserved the tip he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I don't tip. Hairdressers and restaurants are expensive enough without adding more to the cost. I never get taxis etc

I've never been to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'd definitely be in favour of it being abolished completely and for staff to be paid appropriately. Then, if you want to tip, you do so but it shouldn't be deemed as obligatory.

The fake smile and, 'How ARE youuuuu' to elicit tips is painful when you know it is only for that purpose.

My card didn't work in a bar recently and I had no cash, the barman let me leave and go to an ATM, about 10 minute round trip to get cash without any fuss or security. He deserved the tip he got.

Me too. But the system is hard to change. Not tipping just screws over the worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A bonus is from your employer and they've benefited from you.

A present from a supplier is maintaining relationships. Also many companies have anti-corruption policies against this.

In both examples it's not the customer paying something extra for a service they have already paid for.

Advertisement