Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Ill definitely be entering for 15eur and probably wont run it next year..
    I might run it sure, but at least id have a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Hopefully aai move the national champs lots of good marathons around the country im sure they would be happy to host it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Not sure I trust the organisation that lets a drug cheat set the course record because "woops, we didnt notice that when he was invited" do a lottery.

Corrupt asshats probably just doing it to gouge a extra €20 out of every entry and boost 3rd party tour providers that will sell you a bib for 2x the price

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Apart from the lottery angle, the price going up from 70 to 90?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Going to head down the route of London, charity entries based on raising banana's money and taking all the fun of training instead stressing over fundraising target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It’s like that neighbour down the road who suddenly gets ideas about themselves because they inherited a bit of money.....

DCM is not London, Berlin or Boston nor will it ever be. They had a fantastic product but have ruined it by this move.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Another lottery I wont win a prize in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Going to head down the route of London, charity entries based on raising banana's money and taking all the fun of training instead stressing over fundraising target.

do you have a source for this? All I've seen is that they are using a lottery system to distirubute the entries?
    OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s like that neighbour down the road who suddenly gets ideas about themselves because they inherited a bit of money.....

DCM is not London, Berlin or Boston nor will it ever be. They had a fantastic product but have ruined it by this move.

In what sense has it been ruined? By using a lottery system it takes out the possibility of people missing out due to websites crashing due to excessive demand when entries go on sale.

adrian522 wrote: »
    do you have a source for this? All I've seen is that they are using a lottery system to distirubute the entries?

Call it intuition, the charity places for the likes of London, Berlin are sold by the organisers at a significantly higher price than general entry. Do you think Dublin will be an exception?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I imagine most entries would go via the lottery and AI championship. I'm sure there will be some charity entries but I don't think it will be anything like London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

In what sense has it been ruined? By using a lottery system it takes out the possibility of people missing out due to websites crashing due to excessive demand when entries go on sale.

If that is the issue I got a mad idea that would fix it.

What if they used a better website this year instead.

Clearly the website isnt whats driving this move,

I imagine most entries would go via the lottery and AI championship. I'm sure there will be some charity entries but I don't think it will be anything like London.

I don't share your optimism.

Because I prefer the first come, first served idea as being the fairest way of entering. I know you feel differently & I ain’t going to sway you on it. Dublin always gave EVERYONE a chance of entering, with GFA etc that’s no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

KSU wrote: »
    GFA are for UK based in London marathon.

Where are you hearing this, L? All the official announcement says is:

There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership.

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

if you were serious about doing DCM you would sign up when general entries went on sale like every year, there was no problems doing it that way

Because I prefer the first come, first served idea as being the fairest way of entering. I know you feel differently & I ain’t going to sway you on it. Dublin always gave EVERYONE a chance of entering, with GFA etc that’s no longer the case.

You may have a preference but that hardly amounts to the race being ruined.

Surely the lottery does give EVERYONE a chance of entering. They only have so many entries they have to limit it some way.

When it was first come first served it was constant complaints about it selling out too soon.

They released additional entries and introduced a refund system for people who can't run. More complaints about how this was done.

They change to a lottery system and the complaints are about them not using the previous system, from what i can see they can't win no matter what they do.

You may have a preference but that hardly amounts to the race being ruined.

Surely the lottery does give EVERYONE a chance of entering. They only have so many entries they have to limit it some way.

When it was first come first server it was constant complaints about it selling out too soon.

They released additional entries and introduced a refund system for people who can't run. More complaints about how this was done.

They change to a lottery system and the complaints are about them not using the previous system, from what i can see they can't win no matter what they do.

We have to moan about something A, we are Irish after all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Ill definitely be entering for 15eur and probably wont run it next year..
    I might run it sure, but at least id have a choice

TheW1zard this isn't directed at you personally, but this, in my opinion, is the problem with it being just the €15 to enter.

Listened to a podcast interview with Jim Aughney where he was asked about the potential rise of the number to 30,000 participants. He cited logistical problems as a reason for being reluctant to do so. Things such as the wait those numbers would cause in the expo for number collection. But, another thing he said has me thinking. He said that it isn't as simple as just saying to the council and the gardai that they want to open it up to 30k participants. They'd have to prove they were able.

Presumably they would also have to prove the demand was there. Maybe the ballot is part of a wider plan to gauge interest with the possibility of expanding DCM?

I'm sure someone more experienced than me (not hard, ha) will know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

My club had 72 in the race this year mostly in age categories representing teams and figthing for individual medals too. That number is likely to be greatly reduced from now on replaced by batmen and wonderwomen vloging their way around the course on instagram. Anyone who watches the hideous spectacle that is the London Marathon on BBC will know whats coming. Dublins compeditive atmosphere will be diluted and it will loose a lot of the club championship feel it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

I don't actually have a problem with a ballot but just think that all club runners should be guaranteed an entry if they want to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There goes the I've run every marathon record for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

People had 4-5 weeks, weeks!! to get an entry for 2019 before it sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

We have to moan about something A, we are Irish after all!!!

Ya you never hear britts or yanks moaning. Oh wait now....

ultrapercy wrote: »
    My club had 72 in the race this year mostly in age categories representing teams and figthing for individual medals too. That number is likely to be greatly reduced from now on replaced by batmen and wonderwomen vloging their way around the course on instagram. Anyone who watches the hideous spectacle that is the London Marathon on BBC will know whats coming. Dublins compeditive atmosphere will be diluted and it will loose a lot of the club championship feel it had.

yes there are a huge amount of masters doing the DCM because its the nat champs really hope these don't lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

mloc123 wrote: »
    People had 4-5 weeks, weeks!! to get an entry for 2019 before it sold out

And the technical problems were from the 2500 extra tickets released in the summer.

I just don't get the logic, none of the reasons given appear to match what actually was happening and the lottery seems like a solution in search of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How does the national championship work? I say a tiny % only have a chance in it.

Some people sound like the race should be only aai only and when we are happy we might allow some others in.

So much for the friendly marathon. Turning into elitist

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

I wonder how many places will now be siphoned off to 3rd party tour providers that will gladly sell you a guaranteed place for a few hundred euro.

Jim Aughney gonna get that second house!
    Bit harsh there...

And the technical problems were from the 2500 extra tickets released in the summer.

I just don't get the logic, none of the reasons given appear to match what actually was happening and the lottery seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Purely down to greed. Opens up revenue streams that wouldn't exist without a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Very interesting comment on Facebook in reply to someone asking why not make it 30,000 entries.

"we don't have permission for 30K but if that is what is in the system then we can go to the city and ask for 30K tharts the point of doing this/"

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    How does the national championship work? I say a tiny % only have a chance in it.

Some people sound like the race should be only aai only and when we are happy we might allow some others in.

So much for the friendly marathon. Turning into elitist

Only a small % have a chance of winning the senior title but you have huge numbers in the age catagories and teams.
    Id be happy if aai move it to another marathon it would be nice to have a championship race outside of Dublin.

Advertisement