Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-10-2019, 17:43   #31
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisdivine View Post
Thank you for the info on eggs. I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) but it honestly feels like you've made it your personal mission to post opposing views on every thread. Honestly why do you care so much? You're a farmer right? So why come out of your way to constantly try and debate everyone on here? You don't see us going into every thread on the farming forum and pointing out why we think its wrong, sure we would be banned pretty quick if we did. It's great that people can come here and ask questions but we don't need a pro farming representative in every thread. That's not what this forum is for. Debate is great but it's getting so tiresome. Maybe you could take a holiday and give us all a break for a week or 2.
No bother. I'm not specifically interested in veggies unless you mean the ones growing in the ground.

First of all it's a discussion. This thread was posted by a non vegan - just in case you didnt realise that. Should we ban that poster from doing so yes?

So no - It's not about me or any other poster. And yes there's plenty of non farmers who post in the main farming forum and no they do not get banned unless as per the Boards charter they are being complete dicks afaik.

The comments to which I and others reply as far as I can see are generally those relating to agriculture. You might also notice that there's a whole bunch of different posters who've posted here - its an open forum - the same as practically every other forum on boards. Not sure why you're picking on me tbh.

By all means you can put anyone you disagree with on ignore - but do that and you close off comments from those who have the knowledge in these areas (which you strangely refer to as opposing views?) and simply end up with a soundproof echo chamber of your own making.

As for your comment ...

Quote:
...I'm not trying to attack the poster ... Maybe you could take a holiday and give us all a break for a week or 2.
Really? Not attacking the poster? Perhaps you would prefer others to stick their head in the sand and wiggle their fingers in their ears - singing la la la la no?

You're welcome.

Last edited by gozunda; 22-10-2019 at 20:11.
gozunda is offline  
Advertisement
22-10-2019, 19:03   #32
Tilikum17
Registered User
 
Tilikum17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisdivine View Post
Thank you for the info on eggs.

I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) but it honestly feels like you've made it your personal mission to post opposing views on every thread.

Honestly why do you care so much? You're a farmer right? So why come out of your way to constantly try and debate everyone on here? You don't see us going into every thread on the farming forum and pointing out why we think its wrong, sure we would be banned pretty quick if we did.

It's great that people can come here and ask questions but we don't need a pro farming representative in every thread. That's not what this forum is for. Debate is great but it's getting so tiresome. Maybe you could take a holiday and give us all a break for a week or 2.
Do yourself a favour & do what most other people on this forum have done.
Use the ignore function.
Tilikum17 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-10-2019, 19:18   #33
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum17 View Post
Do yourself a favour & do what most other people on this forum have done.Use the ignore function.
Lol. Considering your own contributions to the farming forum that's quite a claim. Like this one

But hey thanks for the input

Last edited by gozunda; 22-10-2019 at 19:21.
gozunda is offline  
22-10-2019, 21:23   #34
klopparama
Registered User
 
klopparama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Lol. Considering your own contributions to the farming forum that's quite a claim. Like this one

But hey thanks for the input
Reported.
klopparama is online now  
22-10-2019, 21:28   #35
anewme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,748
Friend keeps rescue hens from Battery Farms. Their transformation is fantastic.

Happy to buy their eggs.

As someone else said here, it is down to each person to define their limits and to find what works for them.
anewme is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 00:24   #36
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveisdivine
I'm genuinely curious why you are so interested in vegans/veggies. Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to attack the poster) ....
Btw just remembered you had already referred to this rather odd thing of querying other posters why they're engaging in the discussion. With even the he exact same cast of characters turned up to make the same remarks lol. Just means yet another thread gets dragged off topic at the end of the day.

Seriously though - genuinely curious why cover the same / similar issue about others simply engaging with the discussion such as animal farming and agriculture? You said back then you didn't want an echo chamber but here we are again - genuinely confused as why go over the same ground again and again. It comes across as being very antagonistic tbh. Really not sure the need for that tbh.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...423337&page=42

Last edited by gozunda; 23-10-2019 at 01:51.
gozunda is offline  
23-10-2019, 00:30   #37
tatranska
Registered User
 
tatranska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post

If people don’t want to eat the eggs from their chicken that’s their business, their choice should be respected. As should everyone’s choices.
Why keep chickens in the first place with that attitude? It's nonsense.
tatranska is offline  
23-10-2019, 07:31   #38
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
Why keep chickens in the first place with that attitude? It's nonsense.
No it’s not.

Rescue chickens deserve a decent chance of life, why not let them free in a back garden to enjoy themselves. Then it’s up to the owner if they wish to consume the eggs.

It’s just respecting people’s personal choices no matter which side of the Vegan / Farmer divide you are on.
_Brian is offline  
Thanks from:
23-10-2019, 07:34   #39
tatranska
Registered User
 
tatranska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
No it’s not.

Rescue chickens deserve a decent chance of life, why not let them free in a back garden to enjoy themselves. Then it’s up to the owner if they wish to consume the eggs.

It’s just respecting people’s personal choices no matter which side of the Vegan / Farmer divide you are on.
This discussion is cracking me up

I'll get my coat!!
tatranska is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 07:39   #40
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
This discussion is cracking me up

I'll get my coat!!
I’m serious.
I’ve been through battery houses with chickens stacked 11 high in wire cages and then taken out and destroyed after such a horrific life. Farmers who don’t have empathy for the animals they farm shouldn’t be farming animals.

As a farmer I can see that’s just wrong on every level. So, if there are people who will take them and give them a life for a few years roaming free then why not. At that stage it’s about respecting an animal rather than egg production.

To clarify, and I’ve said this over in the farming forum too. Caged or permanently indoor rearing of animals is wrong and we should be moving away from it. Chickens and pigs live a terribly un natural life with no access to out doors.
_Brian is offline  
23-10-2019, 07:48   #41
igCorcaigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,980
How can the consumer know about the welfare standards behind the eggs that they buy?

I buy organic eggs only but don't know how the chickens are treated.
igCorcaigh is offline  
23-10-2019, 07:58   #42
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by igCorcaigh View Post
How can the consumer know about the welfare standards behind the eggs that they buy?

I buy organic eggs only but don't know how the chickens are treated.
I would be much more concerned about free range than organic. Both if possible but free range has to be the minimum. Plenty of free range chicken units near us and it’s lovely to see the chickens out in pasture rooting and enjoying the sun.

We keep some ourselves and they are lovely creatures to see roaming free
_Brian is offline  
Thanks from:
23-10-2019, 08:01   #43
igCorcaigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
I would be much more concerned about free range than organic. Both if possible but free range has to be the minimum. Plenty of free range chicken units near us and it’s lovely to see the chickens out in pasture rooting and enjoying the sun.

We keep some ourselves and they are lovely creatures to see roaming free
Thanks. I'm always a bit wary of how free range they actually are.

I can't find eggs that are both organic and free range, just one or the other. I tend to go for organic because they taste better, hoping this means a healthier happier chicken.
igCorcaigh is offline  
23-10-2019, 08:26   #44
iamtony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by igCorcaigh View Post
Thanks. I'm always a bit wary of how free range they actually are.

I can't find eggs that are both organic and free range, just one or the other. I tend to go for organic because they taste better, hoping this means a healthier happier chicken.
They are not allowed to mark them both. Organic are also free range, they have to be.
iamtony is offline  
23-10-2019, 09:04   #45
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by igCorcaigh View Post
How can the consumer know about the welfare standards behind the eggs that they buy?

I buy organic eggs only but don't know how the chickens are treated.
As Iamtony said above - organic have to be free range

The Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association (IOFGA) or the Organic Trust are the relevant body who sets the standards for organic production. The IOFGA stamp is used on egg boxes. 

The term 'organic' is defined as eggs freshly laid by hens with freedom to roam freely on organic pasture. So these hens are in effect what most people would call free range, with the added provision that they were reared on an organic farm.

Look up the Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association (IOFGA) etc for further details.

Last edited by gozunda; 23-10-2019 at 11:30.
gozunda is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet