Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2019, 10:41   #61
Jump_In_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegians89 View Post
That’s bull, marmion has been on the bench when e er fit this cycle. It was a real shock to most that he was left at home and if it wasn’t for toner being left home the media would have made a bigger deal. Reasons for McGrath being picked we’re hes a better defender and he has a better kicking game, the more pragmatic aspects of Schmidt’s game plan. If the values and styles of the game plan were more expansive or entertaining marmion would have got the nod
No, Joe Schmidt gave a very specific reason, he said they were equal in defence and attack but McGrath has a slightly better kicking game.
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:42   #62
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
I don’t think JGP is long term option, as I posted above we need a young player to step up....whichever province it’s from.....
You said he might jump everyone. He’s 27 with one champions cup start to his name, sure there were times he was out of 23 due to Kolpak but there were plenty of games he was on the bench too. As I said it’s a fair leap for him to jump everyone.
13-10-2019, 10:42   #63
Wegians89

Quote:
I said play regular, they need to be in it every season

As Connacht fans I would think you would want the same

Also JGP hasn’t got many chance in Europe because of the rules so Fardy and Lowe couldn’t start....let’s see this season
Oh I do agree every season would be ideal and I would be very optimistic that the current playing pool and coaching staff are capable of doing that for Connacht. I know you’re not cartys biggest fan but can you imagine the improvement in him this time next year after a season where he’d been thrown in at the deep end on the international stage, learnt a lot from the World Cup exposure and played in champions cup? I’m very excited to see that carty.
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 10:44   #64
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_In_Jack View Post
No, Joe Schmidt gave a very specific reason, he said they were equal in defence and attack but McGrath has a slightly better kicking game.
The point was marmion was the 2nd choice 9 for the whole cycle bar the World Cup, not that he was the only option available like you said
13-10-2019, 10:44   #65
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClanofLams View Post
You said he might jump everyone. He’s 27 with one champions cup start to his name, sure there were times he was out of 23 due to Kolpak but there were plenty of games he was on the bench too. As I said it’s a fair leap for him to jump everyone.
Sorry to be clear he could jump Marmion and McGrath as back up to Murray.....Could

The replacement for Murray needs to come from the young Irish 9 in the provinces
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:45   #66
ClanofLams

Quote:
I doubt he will make another WC so they need to pick 2 young 9s now and start building them up now
They don’t and won’t. Andy Farrell is going to be under pressure to maintain standards, he’ll want to get as good a start as possible and certainly won’t be focusing on a World Cup four years away that he may or may not be around for. Murray could even make that World Cup, Sexton is the same age now as he will be in 2023.
13-10-2019, 10:47   #67
Jump_In_Jack

Quote:
Forgot about Casey, if he get any chances at Munster?
Mathewson will be gone before Christmas but Murray will return then so game time will be a problem.
McCarthy, Cronin still ahead of Casey at the moment based on selections this season, and Stafford is not to be dismissed as competition also.
It’s great though because if Casey has what it takes to push past those guys he will have to earn it and drive his standards up.
His pass is reminiscent of Stringer, like a bullet and on the money, gives the backs an unbelievable platform, like handing it to them on a plate to attack the line every time.
13-10-2019, 10:47   #68
Wegians89

Just like to say I’m very biased in the marmion vs McGrath thing, kinda sick of talking about it, so sorry for bringing it up again
13-10-2019, 10:49   #69
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Mathewson will be gone before Christmas but Murray will return then so game time will be a problem.
McCarthy, Cronin still ahead of Casey at the moment based on selections this season, and Stafford is not to be dismissed as competition also.
It’s great though because if Casey has what it takes to push past those guys he will have to earn it and drive his standards up.
His pass is reminiscent of Stringer, Like a bullet and On the money, gives the backs an unbelievable platform, like handing it to them on a plate to attack the line every time.
Seen a lot of him in u20 really exciting.....

That’s why I had the problem with Mathewson signing....they should have been playing all the young 9 during the WC....

If another 12 months goes on and he isn’t playing then IRFU should step in and move him to another province
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:50   #70
Wegians89

Quote:
His pass is reminiscent of Stringer, like a bullet and on the money, gives the backs an unbelievable platform, like handing it to them on a plate to attack the line every time.
I’d be very surprised if Casey didn’t pass out croinin before the end of the season. Not so sure he’ll pass out McCarthy who seems to be going well
13-10-2019, 10:51   #71
Jump_In_Jack

Quote:
The point was marmion was the 2nd choice 9 for the whole cycle bar the World Cup, not that he was the only option available like you said
You’re attributing a post to me that wasn’t mine.

My only point was that Joe Schmidt made it very clear why McGrath edged Marmion, and it was kicking only, not defence. He was very specific about saying that.
13-10-2019, 10:51   #72
Wegians89

Quote:
Seen a lot of him in u20 really exciting.....

That’s why I had the problem with Mathewson signing....they should have been playing all the young 9 during the WC....

If another 12 months goes on and he isn’t playing then IRFU should step in and move him to another province
I’d agree with this, they have plenty of talent to get by with out Mathewson
13-10-2019, 10:52   #73
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Just like to say I’m very biased in the marmion vs McGrath thing, kinda sick of talking about it, so sorry for bringing it up again
I hadn’t noticed....haha

In regards to McGrath he is hugely underrated by people on here but I would never see him as a long term replacement for Murray

I put Marmion, JGP and Cooney in that pot, ok as a back up but not really a long term starter
13-10-2019, 11:02   #74
Shefwedfan

Hooker

What’s the SA for Munster? He is qualified now after WC?

I would drop Cronin and Best after WC out of squad....Scannell as starter and look at two options which we will bring to next WC all working out well
13-10-2019, 11:08   #75
Wegians89

Quote:
Hooker

What’s the SA for Munster? He is qualified now after WC?

I would drop Cronin and Best after WC out of squad....Scannell as starter and look at two options which we will bring to next WC all working out well
Marshall from NZ? He qualifies soon.

Hooker could be tricky for a year or two. Similar to scrum half there’s a pool of decent players who probably aren’t Going to be world class. Scannell would be the stand out, with the likes of herring, Tracy Marshall, delahunt and heffernan there’s abouts. I’d expect a few to pick up random caps with the likes of kelleher and Tierney-Martin are developed. Those two have very high potential and will be a great battle for years hopefully. I’d expect kelleher to get capped soon

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion