Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2019, 09:47   #46
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClanofLams View Post
And champions cup standard is important so Gibson Park, with a total of one champions cup start to his name, will go ahead of him. Sound logic.
Think people forget Connacht and marmion/carty have played and won in the champions cup
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:00   #47
The Rape of Lucretia

Gibbo is limited. I can't see him being much of a factor.
13-10-2019, 10:04   #48
Former Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegians89 View Post
Marmion a guy who’s started in wins again the all blacks and England not up to it, yeah okay.
Depends what the question is.

If we're talking successor to Murray as first-choice in two or three years, then I don't think either McGrath or Marmion is up to it. Both are more than capable but not really what we need IMO.

I think our next long term solutions at hooker, scrum half and maybe out half are yet to be capped.
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 10:07   #49
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Former View Post

If we're talking successor to Murray as first-choice in two or three years, then I don't think either McGrath or Marmion is up to it. Both are more than capable but not really what we need IMO.

I think our next long term solutions at hooker, scrum half and maybe out half are yet to be capped.
When Murray and Sexton are phased out the game plan will have to change. They’re both genuine world class players and not many players will ever reach their levels. Think Casey is probably the one long term at 9 but with a change in game plan I can see no reason why marmion, cooney or blade couldn’t be test standard starters but probably not world class
13-10-2019, 10:08   #50
ClanofLams

What a shock to see Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times fabricating stuff again.

His claim, aside from being baseless, is idiotic too, why on earth would irfu not want everything possible done for Scotland Japan to go ahead? There’s only upside from an Irish perspective

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/10/13...-sunday-times/

Last edited by ClanofLams; 13-10-2019 at 10:14.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:17   #51
Niallof9

Quote:
What a shock to see Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times fabricating stuff again.

His claim, aside from being baseless, is idiotic too, why on earth would irfu not want everything possible done for Scotland Japan to go ahead? There’s only upside from an Irish perspective

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/10/13...-sunday-times/
It’s joes big ruse. We really want the All Blacks and have been fooling everyone
13-10-2019, 10:29   #52
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Former View Post

I agree, I think we need someone to step up, McGrath has done ok at WC but not lighting it up....maybe blade? Maybe O’Sullivan or maybe Cronin isanswer?
13-10-2019, 10:31   #53
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegians89 View Post
Think people forget Connacht and marmion/carty have played and won in the champions cup
I said play regular, they need to be in it every season

As Connacht fans I would think you would want the same

Also JGP hasn’t got many chance in Europe because of the rules so Fardy and Lowe couldn’t start....let’s see this season
13-10-2019, 10:32   #54
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
When we had no other option, where we had options he hasn’t been picked.....not travelling to WC would suggest Joe and Farrell see better options
They had Luke McGrath who has been ahead of Gibson Park for three years now sitting on the bench......

Not traveling to World Cup suggests McGrath got ahead of Marmion for some reason. It’s the first time in three years he has. He might stay ahead under Farrell, he might not. Fair leap to Gibson-Park getting ahead of either.
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 10:35   #55
Jump_In_Jack

Quote:
I agree, I think we need someone to step up, McGrath has done ok at WC but not lighting it up....maybe blade? Maybe O’Sullivan or maybe Cronin isanswer?
The two players I would see huge potential in are Craig Casey And Caolin Blade.
Both diminutive but aggressive and fiery.
13-10-2019, 10:37   #56
Shefwedfan

Quote:
They had Luke McGrath who has been ahead of Gibson Park for three years now sitting on the bench......

Not traveling to World Cup suggests McGrath got ahead of Marmion for some reason. It’s the first time in three years he has. He might stay ahead under Farrell, he might not. Fair leap to Gibson-Park getting ahead of either.
I don’t think JGP is long term option, as I posted above we need a young player to step up....whichever province it’s from.....
13-10-2019, 10:38   #57
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_In_Jack View Post
The two players I would see huge potential in are Craig Casey And Caolin Blade.
Both diminutive but aggressive and fiery.
Forgot about Casey, if he get any chances at Munster?
13-10-2019, 10:38   #58
ClanofLams

9 isn’t an immediate issue anyway. Murray is 30, form permitting, he’s likely to be first choice for at least the next two seasons.
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 10:39   #59
Wegians89

Quote:
When we had no other option, where we had options he hasn’t been picked.....not travelling to WC would suggest Joe and Farrell see better options
That’s bull, marmion has been on the bench when e er fit this cycle. It was a real shock to most that he was left at home and if it wasn’t for toner being left home the media would have made a bigger deal. Reasons for McGrath being picked we’re hes a better defender and he has a better kicking game, the more pragmatic aspects of Schmidt’s game plan. If the values and styles of the game plan were more expansive or entertaining marmion would have got the nod
13-10-2019, 10:40   #60
Shefwedfan

Quote:
9 isn’t an immediate issue anyway. Murray is 30, form permitting, he’s likely to be first choice for at least the next two seasons.
I doubt he will make another WC so they need to pick 2 young 9s now and start building them up now

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion