Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-10-2019, 17:55   #1
TheFortField

Enjoying Tea and Coffee without cow’s milk.

I’ve been following a plant based diet for almost 17 months. I thought giving up cheese, chocolate and eggs would be tough but they were surprisingly easy to eliminate from my diet.

Over the last year I’ve given up purchasing processed foods (with the exception of the odd packet of vegan cheese). Every meal I eat is now cooked from scratch using fresh (mostly) local ingredients or home grown fruit/vegetables.

However, I’m failing miserably in one area. As a non drinker I love a decent cup of coffee (and tea occasionally). No matter how I try I can’t drink black coffee and I hate the taste of alternative milks in my coffee. I use almond milk in cereals but I’m not a fan of it in coffee.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any advice or recommendations would be great.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 18:57   #2
silent_spark

Have you tried oat milk? It tastes great in coffee in particular, and you can make it at home easily enough.
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 19:06   #3
TheFortField

Thanks for the reply silent spark, unfortunately oat milk is out as I have an intolerance to gluten.
12-10-2019, 19:11   #4
silent_spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFortField View Post
Thanks for the reply silent spark, unfortunately oat milk is out as I have an intolerance to gluten.
I’m not knowledgeable in the area, but I’ve seen ‘gluten free oats’ in shops. Might be worth a try?
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 20:18   #5
sparkledrum

I use hemp milk or coconut milk. I prefer the former but it's more difficult to get.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 21:38   #6
_Brian

Just keep reducing the amount of milk steadily over a few weeks.

I’ve only ever taken very small amount of milk on tea and now can take it black if I need to, i being nosebag every day and sometimes forget the milk 🙄

One thing I find is the make it not just as strong.

Coffee I can’t manage black, if I take it without milk I get heartburn.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2019, 21:42   #7
Tea-a-Maria

I have found pea milk to be quite similar yo cow's milk in tea. You can get one called Mighty Society in Holland & Barrett.
Thanks from:
14-10-2019, 21:51   #8
Worztron

I love unsweetened soymilk with my black tea (Barrys).
Thanks from:
17-10-2019, 16:21   #9
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

soy, cashew, pea are good alternatives. Love oat the most but you can't have that. Don't forget the brand matters too! So if you don't like one, you may like another. For instance not much of a fan of almond milk but Califia farms one from Dunnes is amazing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 16:22   #10
Lesalare

I use unsweetened almond milk in tea and coffee, although I rarely drink either.

I don't really notice any mad difference to normal milk but I don't use a lot of normal milk anyway. It's a tad sweeter.

Last edited by Lesalare; 17-10-2019 at 16:54.
17-10-2019, 16:53   #11
Markcheese

I've tried almond and oat milk in both tea and coffee.... Nah.. Didn't do it for me.... I like my coffee milky... I'd just stick to herbal tea if no milk...
17-10-2019, 23:01   #12

As an aside - Lyons Tea are now making a tea 'for non-dairy'
18-10-2019, 10:26   #13
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Saw those and even the little cappuccino/latte kind of coffee pouches have non-dairy versions now.
18-10-2019, 10:32   #14
Man Vs ManUre

I stopped drinking milk in both tea and coffee about 15 years ago. Now I can still have it if I want, and do like the odd latte, but mostly find the idea of mixing any kind of mild drink with coffee/tea to be odd now.
If you go to countries steeped in coffee/tea culture, eg Colombia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Turkey they mostly no not pollute their tea/coffee with milk or sugar. That is just a western/1st world invention that should be undone.
(5) thanks from:
18-10-2019, 12:58   #15
davidjtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Vs ManUre View Post
I stopped drinking milk in both tea and coffee about 15 years ago. Now I can still have it if I want, and do like the odd latte, but mostly find the idea of mixing any kind of mild drink with coffee/tea to be odd now.
If you go to countries steeped in coffee/tea culture, eg Colombia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Turkey they mostly no not pollute their tea/coffee with milk or sugar. That is just a western/1st world invention that should be undone.
Thoroughly agree. Dr Gregor does an interesting presentation on various health issues surrounding milk added to tea.

And coffee! It's a travesty to add anything to well-made coffee. Perhaps most coffee is not well-made and needs, ermm, "improving"?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion