Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-09-2019, 17:07   #31
Addle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foweva Awone View Post
I've had a condom split during sex before and we didn't realise until after, luckily I was on the pill at the time so I wasn't too worried, that's one way it could happen though.
Would someone who knows condom split not get the map?

It was a GP who told me I wouldn’t heed the MAP cos I was on the pill for so long (years) and wouldn’t be ovulating.
Advertisement
22-09-2019, 18:22   #32
rainbow kirby

Combination of underestimating how quickly fertility returns after stopping taking a minipill and not pulling out in time.
Thanks from:
22-09-2019, 19:18   #33
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple1 View Post
Eh not at all you're wrong there. Never thought anyone I knew who got pregnant was a moron for doing so. You sound like you've a massive chip on your shoulder
Why take an issue with them saying it was an accident? The thigh is people use that kind of expression in all kind of situations and yet the only one you find worthy talking about is pregnancy. Give me a break.

And on the subject no pills don't malfunction as often as people get pregnant by accident. I'm not saying it can't happen but it's not upset stomach that does all the damage in vast majority of cases.

The thigh is nobody is perfect and sometimes will all make mistakes or act irresponsibly. As long as you deal with pregnancy responsibly by either having an abortion or having a baby and properly taking care of them it doesn't really matter. The only real damage is when children are born to parents who don't want to be parents and act as such.

Last edited by meeeeh; 22-09-2019 at 19:29.
Thanks from:
22-09-2019, 19:28   #34
fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonicat View Post
'The pull out method' isn't recommended for anyone!
Typo. Meant pill.
22-09-2019, 19:44   #35
Foweva Awone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addle View Post
Would someone who knows condom split not get the map?

It was a GP who told me I wouldn’t heed the MAP cos I was on the pill for so long (years) and wouldn’t be ovulating.
Well in my situation, as I said I was on the pill also at the time, so no, I didn't bother with the MAP.

Besides which I was engaged to the fella at the time, an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't have been a major crisis.

I think that's a case the lot of the time with "accidental" pregnancies - if you're in a stable relationship where a pregnancy wouldn't be the end of the world, people can get a bit lax about contraception. Whereas most people would be much more careful to prevent accidental pregnancies in casual relationships, or if they really don't want a child (or another child, as the case may be.) It's not a case that people are stupid and don't know how pregnancy happens or how to avoid it.
Advertisement
22-09-2019, 21:28   #36
pwurple

It can happen when men don’t get the snip when the family is done.

Women can ovulate unexpectedly, more so towards menopause. So you have erratic cycles, and hormonal contraceptives don’t work as well when hormones fluctuate. People sometimes don’t know this until too late. Taa daa, baby.
24-09-2019, 16:17   #37
miamee

A friend had an upset stomach hangover over the Christmas holidays one year - pill obviously came back up/out and she became pregnant despite having taken the pill religiously (as she thought). Only afterwards realised that the dodgy tummy had that effect.

Another friend became pregnant after the mirena coil slipped out of place - ti was still in there for the early part of her pregnancy until the doctor deemed it safe to remove it.
Thanks from:
24-09-2019, 17:00   #38
electro~bitch

Your contraception failed, you forgot to take your pill, you didn't pull out in time, you took a calculated risk and it went against ya.

"Accidentally" is pretty widely used and understood as an antonym of "deliberately" like, I don't see how it's such a mystifying turn of phrase.

Like last week, I was chopping vegetables and cut my finger accidentally. I obviously understood that fingers near moving blade carries a risk of injury, probably if I'd paid more attention it wouldn't have happened. But it wasn't why I undertook the activity and I actually actively did NOT want it to happen. So it was an accident.
24-09-2019, 23:11   #39
Salthillprom

No pregnancy is an actual accident, unless for some reason the pill doesn't work. But even then it can't be an accident. Because (a) the gp should advise you that your pill is less effective when on antibiotics (B) if you read your pill packet then you'll know that puking means it's less effective if you're sick (c) if you're not on the pill and take a chance (D) if your other contraceptive like a condom splits, you'll know. And for all of the above incidents there's (E), the morning after pill. So I don't believe anyone who says they got accidentally pregnant. I had three pregnancies myself.
Advertisement
25-09-2019, 08:43   #40
B0jangles

But your logic pretty much rules out the very concept of 'an accident'

Car accident? - you should have known it was possible for another car to drive into you/a tire to blow out
Knife accident? - you should have known it was possible for a knife to slip
Fall down the stairs? - how are you unaware of the existence of gravity???
25-09-2019, 09:10   #41
adam88

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0jangles View Post
But your logic pretty much rules out the very concept of 'an accident'

Car accident? - you should have known it was possible for another car to drive into you/a tire to blow out
Knife accident? - you should have known it was possible for a knife to slip
Fall down the stairs? - how are you unaware of the existence of gravity???
It wasn’t a car accident as one of ye didn’t comply with the rules of the toad and therefore collided, tyre blew out because it wasn’t maintained, knife slipped as you were careless and didn’t hold it right, you fell down the stairs cause you weren’t paying attention or your lace was undone.
25-09-2019, 09:12   #42
B0jangles

What is an accident if none of the circumstances I described qualify as accidents?
(3) thanks from:
25-09-2019, 12:32   #43
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam88 View Post
It wasn’t a car accident as one of ye didn’t comply with the rules of the toad and therefore collided, tyre blew out because it wasn’t maintained, knife slipped as you were careless and didn’t hold it right, you fell down the stairs cause you weren’t paying attention or your lace was undone.
What are you purposing a public flogging? A detailed discussion with a woman/couple why her/their version of an accident is not an accident (in case of unplanned pregnancy)?

Can I ask why are you so intent to attribute blame? Why does it matter so much to you to decide in all circumstances what people did wrong? Most of us just accept that as humans we are not perfect. Personally I think analyzing everything and always attributing guilt is for the people who need to make themselves feel better by putting others down.
(4) thanks from:
23-10-2019, 07:20   #44
ksceniaonegina

Only contraceptive failure counts as unintended pregnancy.

Otherwise it's either thinking with your genitals and not your brain or worse, reproductive coercion.
27-10-2019, 18:29   #45
shesty

One other way....(not to me)...thinking breastfeeding is a contraceptive...particularly shortly after giving birth (like a month or two).I know two women who had babies 11 months apart in the last year, who obviously took that chance.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion