Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soros

• 10-09-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭

Good piece on the far right (and conspiracy theorists) obsession with Soros here

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49584157
    He's a Jewish multi-billionaire philanthropist who has given away $32bn. Why does the hard right from America to Australia and from Hungary to Honduras believe George Soros is at the heart of a global conspiracy, asks the BBC's Mike Rudin.

One quiet Monday afternoon last October in leafy upstate New York, a large manila envelope was placed in the mailbox of an exclusive country mansion belonging to multi-billionaire philanthropist George Soros.

The package looked suspicious. The return address was misspelt as "FLORIDS" and the mail had already been delivered earlier that day. The police were called and soon the FBI was on the scene.

Inside the bubble-wrapped envelope was a photograph of Soros, marked with a red "X". Alongside it, a six-inch plastic pipe, a small clock, a battery, wiring and a black powder.

More than a dozen similar packages were sent to the homes of former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other prominent Democrats.

None of the devices exploded. The FBI traced the bombs to a white van covered in pro-Trump and anti-Democrat stickers, parked in a supermarket car park in Florida.

Immediately the right-wing media claimed it was a "false-flag" operation intended to derail President Donald Trump and the Republican campaign, just two weeks before the crucial US mid-term elections.

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs tweeted: "Fake News - Fake Bombs. Who could possibly benefit by so much fakery?" Conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh added: "Republicans just don't do this kind of thing."

Any conspiracy forums I visit are awash with mentions and conspiracies about this man. The root cause seems to be nothing more than base antisemitism.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Shur didn’t he help round up jooz in the holocaust that never happened.
    To be fair though, the Koch brothers almost took in a similar boogey man role for liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,613 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ipso wrote: »
    To be fair though, the Koch brothers almost took in a similar boogey man role for liberals.

Did not see any (to my recollection) incidences of tragedies being labeled false flags orchestrated by crisis actors paid for by the Koch bros. Soros on the other hand..

Overheal wrote: »

Did not see any (to my recollection) incidences of tragedies being labeled false flags orchestrated by crisis actors paid for by the Koch bros. Soros on the other hand..

Of course not to that extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Soros is spending money on something though.

What’s the point of this forum. It’s banned the last known conspiracy theorist and all thats left is a moderator and a few obsessed posters who are anti conspiracy theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

They are also spending money - this time on right wing causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

What’s the point of this forum. It’s banned the last known conspiracy theorist and all thats left is a moderator and a few obsessed posters who are anti conspiracy theories.

Plenty of conspiracy theories and inside jobs happening in the world, they are just rarely discussed here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

You would prefer a forum where conspiracy theories aren't subject to even a bare level of questioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

King Mob wrote: »
    You would prefer a forum where conspiracy theories aren't subject to even a bare level of questioning?

Is it not a bit odd that all your activity on the site (over 10k posts) is disproving conspiracy theories? Your entire activity over the past year has been responding to one theorist, who is now banned.

Is this your sole passion in life? Arguing with people you refer to as crackpots?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Is it not a bit odd that all your activity on the site (over 10k posts) is disproving conspiracy theories? Your entire activity over the past year has been responding to one theorist, who is now banned.

Is this your sole passion in life? Arguing with people you refer to as crackpots?
    Good to know you took the time to snoop into my profile and insult me without actually answering the question in my post.

King Mob wrote: »
    Good to know you took the time to snoop into my profile and insult me without actually answering the question in my post.

Franz's post is correct, what's the point of a CT forum when there's one theorist who's now banned and a merry pack of ye ganging up on every post that he makes? A lot of the forum (had a brief glance through the other night) seems as if its just page after page of a few of ye insulting one lad
    Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Plenty of conspiracy theories and inside jobs happening in the world, they are just rarely discussed here

Why not mention and start a discussion on a few

• Advertisement

Franz's post is correct, what's the point of a CT forum when there's one theorist who's now banned and a merry pack of ye ganging up on every post that he makes? A lot of the forum (had a brief glance through the other night) seems as if its just page after page of a few of ye insulting one lad
    Again, you are the one leaping in and throwing insults at me.

You still have not addressed my point countering Franz's post.
    What would be the point of a CT forum where every basic questioning of conspiracy theories is verboten?

There's plenty of those safe spaces out there for conspiracy theorists who can't deal with questions.

This isn't current affairs or the politics forum though. I'd have thought the point of a Conspiracy forum was a place for people to throw out wacky theories without fear of the type of belittling you'd get on other parts of the site. Not page after page of a 4 v 1 discussion.

Anyway, this is a far bigger part of your life than it is mine so don't let me tell you how to run your forum. Just an observation

This isn't current affairs or the politics forum though. I'd have thought the point of a Conspiracy forum was a place for people to throw out wacky theories without fear of the type of belittling you'd get on other parts of the site. Not page after page of a 4 v 1 discussion.
    What belittling are you referring to?
    Anyway, this is a far bigger part of your life than it is mine so don't let me tell you how to run your forum. Just an observation
    Would this count as belittling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No point bothering with the conspiracy theories anymore - one lad cheerful and loads of anti conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    No point bothering with the conspiracy theories anymore - one lad cheerful and loads of anti conspiracy theorists.

Well now is your chance.

Soros, anyone have a theory on the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Nal wrote: »
    Well now is your chance.

Soros, anyone have a theory on the guy?

No view on him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If someone wants to post spurious or false information, it's only natural people will correct it.

What's the harm in pointing out false information?

On the other side of the coin, we've seen that conspiracy beliefs can actually be harmful. Several mass shootings have been linked with "white genocide" and "white replacement" conspiracy theories. The Tsarnaev brothers who carried out the Boston bombings believed 911 was an inside job. The Pittsburg synagogue shooter has been linked to antisemitic conspiracy theories, anti-Soros conspiracies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The main theory is that he worked with the Nazis in WW2 despite being 15 years of age when Hitler died.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,613 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s not possible to ensure an equal number of A vs B. The real trick is finding conspiracy theorists who don’t blithely violate the rules of the forum, it isn’t practical to not take action against users who are disruptive, troll, soapbox, attack users, etc. just because they support a theorycrafting viewpoint. Not that any of this is germane to the topic of this thread - George Soros.

Carded for the two counts of personal abuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement