Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2019, 17:20   #1
Potential-Monke

Heated Gaming Topics Discussion

As others have noted, the News and General threads keep getting clogged up with the 'debate' around heated topics, such as Gamergate, Star Citizen et al. So, I've created this topic specifically to discuss the heated gaming topics.

Suppose it would be best to continue the debate from the News thread, so whoever wants to start on the Star Citizen stuff, go!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-09-2019, 21:11   #2
Venom

05-09-2019, 21:12   #3
gimli2112

Awesome I've never fully understood gamergate and don't know what StarCitizen is so this is great for the likes of me.
05-09-2019, 21:17   #4
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimli2112 View Post
Awesome I've never fully understood gamergate and don't know what StarCitizen is so this is great for the likes of me.
Truly the most blissful form of glorious ignorance.
05-09-2019, 22:16   #5
Skerries

neither do I because I couldn't give a shít about any of the bitching that the journalists and developers are moaning about, I just want to play good games
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-09-2019, 22:26   #6
Enfilade

If people want to talk about it I'm ok with that but it's tiresome seeing it come up in the general news thread and wading through the usual back and forth. Mod note in the news thread or something saying discussion about it goes here now?
05-09-2019, 23:19   #7
SomeSayKos

My bad. I don't mean to be complicit in derailing the news thread but it gets my back up when people link to content made from absolute scumbags. A separate thread is probably for the best.
(2) thanks from:
06-09-2019, 01:53   #8
Canis Lupus

I pretty much ignored gamergate and just pegged the lot as 'internet drama'.
06-09-2019, 09:43   #9
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

Sonic > Mario
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 10:08   #10
gimli2112

This is the kind of thread where you can wander in and say you're thinking of buying a game console but which one?

Seriously though Gear of War which I've always kind of liked the look of but never played looks amazing this time out.
06-09-2019, 10:22   #11
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Gears is a game series that looks like everything wrong with gaming, the roided up heroes, the over the top western art style, the unimaginative third person action. Yet I've always had a lot of time for it as it's dumb but knowingly so, the mechanics are really solid, why nobody has ripped off the active reload mechanic is beyond me and the very odd time it can actually surprise you with drama/stupidity.
06-09-2019, 12:06   #12
K.O.Kiki

Gamergate had 1 good idea (journalistic integrity) and got derailed because the Internet is full of Americans who can only see the world in terms of "Us vs Them".

Clickbait is still here.
Kotaku occasionally posts good articles, but more often posts inflammatory or outright false BS.
RockPaperShotgun has gone to shít.
06-09-2019, 15:57   #13
EoinHef

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.Kiki View Post
Gamergate had 1 good idea (journalistic integrity) and got derailed because the Internet is full of Americans who can only see the world in terms of "Us vs Them".

Clickbait is still here.
Kotaku occasionally posts good articles, but more often posts inflammatory or outright false BS.
RockPaperShotgun has gone to shít.
The latest controversy over the new dave chapelle comedy special on netflix shows how a lot of these media companies are just totally disconnected from the general public as a whole.

Theres a lot crap out there that tries to influence people rather than just reporting stuff. Im totally fine with a journalist saying he has a bias and an opinion but there seems to be a trend where they leave no room for other opinions.

Other opinions are framed as being hateful etc

Even traditional media has gone to crap,just look at the english papers regarding brexit,a lot of what they have said is rubbish and some of it is just plain lies,but their looking to influence people rather than giving them the facts.

Its getting harder and harder to seperate all the BS from whats actually going on in the real world.
Thanks from:
06-09-2019, 19:10   #14
The Phantom Pain

One of the things I'm realising about gaming in comparison to when I was younger is that it's attracting a lot of angry white dudes from about ages 20 to 35 with chips on their shoulders. The amount of times I've been playing GTA online or Destiny and someone asks me, "so what's your opinion on Trump?" or asks me what my ethnic origin is (as if it matters with people you will never meet online) or the various rants about ethnic minorities or certain religious beliefs. It's like, dude, I don't wanna know, I didn't purchase my game to listen to your views on politics! I play video games to escape that nonsense. It's the main reason I don't like playing online as much now - people using video games as a platform for their hatred at other social groups.
07-09-2019, 01:02   #15
brianregan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimli2112 View Post
This is the kind of thread where you can wander in and say you're thinking of buying a game console but which one?

Seriously though Gear of War which I've always kind of liked the look of but never played looks amazing this time out.
The one thing that Gears had over all the other similar stories was the story and characters they lost that after Gears 3 and haven't been the same since , I bought an Xbox 1 just to play Gears 4 I ended up regretting it
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion