Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-09-2019, 16:40   #1
AMKC

What race would you like to see more of in Star Trek maybe in the new Picard series?

For me it would be the Breen. Would love to see more of them. Maybe we will in the new Picard series. Are they still mysterious, are they enemies of the Federation still or are they allies now?
Advertisement
01-09-2019, 16:45   #2
Damien360

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
For me it would be the Breen. Would love to see more of them. Maybe we will in the new Picard series. Are they still mysterious, are they enemies of the Federation still or are they allies now?
I’ll take a wild guess and say you are watching deep space nine re-runs currently on this minute on one of the sky channels. Had forgotten all about the Breen until this episode mentioned them.

Borg (although very one dimensional) and Romulans would be my favourites.
(2) thanks from:
01-09-2019, 17:32   #3
Evade

25th century Andorians.
(5) thanks from:
01-09-2019, 17:46   #4
Slydice

(3) thanks from:
01-09-2019, 21:01   #5
TheValeyard

Tholians
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-09-2019, 21:19   #6
pixelburp

8472 and Tholians would stretch the budget, but with some imagination could look great with modern CGI.

The Breen always looked very Star Wars to me, I'm fairly sure without checking they looked like Leia's disguise from Return of the Jedi. With some modern flourishes they could look extra imposing, though as the universal translator doesn't work with them they'd be hard to give off a sense of character.
(2) thanks from:
01-09-2019, 21:42   #7
Josey Wales

I'd like to see the Cardassians back in some capacity. It would be interesting to see what has happened to their society after the events of DS9. Also they are one of the best enemies in Star Trek as they are the equals of the Federation. They don't come across as cartoonish like the Romulans sometimes do.
01-09-2019, 22:22   #8
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien360 View Post
I’ll take a wild guess and say you are watching deep space nine re-runs currently on this minute on one of the sky channels. Had forgotten all about the Breen until this episode mentioned them.

Borg (although very one dimensional) and Romulans would be my favourites.
You are right although I can watch it anytime as I have the whole box set of it.

The Borg were great in TNG but then Voyager neutered them and made them look soft. Hopefully they are scary again in the new Picard series as we know we will definitely get to see some form of them in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evade View Post
25th century Andorians.
Would be interesting alright. I would love to see what there 25th century ships are like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydice View Post
I think we seen all we needed to see of them in Voyager really and there space. hat more could you do with them really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
Tholians
The Tholians are a good one and very like the Breen too in that there is very little known about them except that there are insect like and highly advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
8472 and Tholians would stretch the budget, but with some imagination could look great with modern CGI.

The Breen always looked very Star Wars to me, I'm fairly sure without checking they looked like Leia's disguise from Return of the Jedi. With some modern flourishes they could look extra imposing, though as the universal translator doesn't work with them they'd be hard to give off a sense of character.
Maybe they have figured out how to get the uv to translate there language now as it has been over 20 years since the war with the Dominion, the Dominion could make theirs work and they surrendered to the Federation so all Starfleet would have to do is get one of them universal translators.
01-09-2019, 23:57   #9
Slydice

Quote:
I think we seen all we needed to see of them in Voyager really and there space. hat more could you do with them really?
I think there's a lot more light to be shed on them. So far we've only really seen a bit of them on our side, even less on theirs and it's all been confrontation loaded.

Depending on how Borged this show is, 8472, Hirogen and Unimatrix Zero all sound like they are in with a shout.

Plenty other Delta quadrant specifies too given some only got a few or only one episode.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-09-2019, 11:11   #10
Evade

Quote:
Would be interesting alright. I would love to see what there 25th century ships are like.
Transports and freighters aside (which I don't see the Andorians having many of) probably just like all the other Starfleet ships.
02-09-2019, 15:35   #11
tromtipp

I'd like to know why Denobulans seemed to cease contact with the Federation some time between Archer's Enterprise and Kirk's. And I'd like to know a bit about Bolians beyond 'blue but otherwise dull version of humans'.

Andorians would be good too, particularly if we could have a descendant of Shran, played by Jeffrey Combs.
(4) thanks from:
02-09-2019, 15:57   #12
pixelburp

The Denobulans were at least a nod towards properly alien complexity that Trek has tended to shy away from: their communal polygamous lifestyle at odds with our own, that while not necessarily causing conflict gave for a different perspective.

There's a very good book, "A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" that did this really well. It's effectively set in a Federation of sorts, albeit one where humanity isn't in the top tier of races (far from it, they're very much seen as a 3rd world). What the book does really well is present a clutch of alien races who are all distinctly non-human, both in appearance, and in terms of their societal, moral structure. They're not good or bad - just different, and people live with those differences.
02-09-2019, 16:09   #13
Evade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
The Denobulans were at least a nod towards properly alien complexity that Trek has tended to shy away from: their communal polygamous lifestyle at odds with our own, that while not necessarily causing conflict gave for a different perspective.
It's not really complex, polyamory is just their hat. It's not any different to Vulcan logic or Ferengi greed. There are polyamourous humans after all. Now if they were that race with the third gender that could have been actually interesting.
02-09-2019, 16:30   #14
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evade View Post
It's not really complex, polyamory is just their hat. It's not any different to Vulcan logic or Ferengi greed. There are polyamourous humans after all. Now if they were that race with the third gender that could have been actually interesting.
By Trek's standards, they were complex and not just "human attribute ramped up to 11". Their communal family / group units and generally close-proximity living sounded fascinating; there was/is scope for exploration of a race that was less individualistic as humans (without dipping too far into blatant communist, totalitarian allegories)
02-09-2019, 16:32   #15
Henry Ford III

The 1500 metres. Jean Luke looks like he's built for the longer distances, and his slap head is quite aerodynamic.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion