Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

14-06-2019, 20:51   #46
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
L V was the man of the moment a couple of years ago, but there are only so many socks you can show another PM and the photographers. I think he needs a wake up call big time, or should call a GE sooner rather than later. Feck Brexit, that nightmare ain't going away for donkeys years, may as well get on with it now. He is beginning to look a bit like Boris Johnson to me. Fatally so, but I reckon he is fed up with it all and just wants to be with you Matt .

There will be a few By Elections around the country as a result of the EU elections. Be interesting to see what happens with FG. They are letting down the people they swore they would represent. That is not good.
I think this is Leo's gap year job TBH. I'd say he's just loving the ride and doesn't like having to deal.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 20:58   #47
dxhound2005

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debate...019-06-12a.231

Leo doesn't spend much time answering any questions, unless they deserve a detailed answer. Some journalist in Kerry would no doubt decide he was heartless for not giving Healy-Rae a longer answer.

Michael Healy-Rae

I do not know if the Taoiseach is aware of the very serious situation in County Kerry at present where the excellent people who provide home help by calling to people's homes must put the petrol into their cars at their own expense because they are not being given the money to which they are legally entitled to claim. Those claims are not being processed so not only are they providing this excellent service, they are running their cars at their own expense. As the Taoiseach knows, the geography of Kerry means they have to travel long distances in their cars to give care to elderly people or people who are ill in their homes. They are doing so entirely at their own expense. I ask him to ensure that this situation will be put right for home helps in Kerry and whatever has gone wrong in the processing of their claims for petrol and travel expenses will be corrected immediately to allow them to carry on the excellent service they give to elderly and sick people in our community.

Leo Varadkar

I am afraid I do not have any role in processing expenses claims for home help staff in Kerry. I imagine it is a matter for the local community healthcare organisation but I will certainly advise the line Minister that the Deputy raised the matter and perhaps he will pass that on to the local official responsible.
14-06-2019, 20:59   #48
Church on Tuesday

The party Leo represents has never given a toss about lower income families anyways, so I am not really surprised.
14-06-2019, 21:00   #49
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
I think this is Leo's gap year job TBH. I'd say he's just loving the ride and doesn't like having to deal.
Well he has left everything Brexit/International to Coveney who is doing a very fine job of it IMO.

I think he's cooking up a way out to just get out now. It is not what he expected it to be I think, and he doesn't look like he is putting in a lot of effort ATM

I think you said earlier that he did not achieve much in any portfolio prior to becoming Taoiseach either. Great CV but not much substance. But he had youth and a few other popular things on his side at the time. No one gives a shiny you know what about all that anymore. The sun is going over the yardarm for him now I think. But we shall see.
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 21:01   #50
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
The party Leo represents has never given a toss about lower income families anyways, so I am not really surprised.
Doesn't give a toss about those paying for low income families either by the looks of it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 21:03   #51
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
I am afraid I do not have any role in processing expenses claims for home help staff in Kerry. I imagine it is a matter for the local community healthcare organisation but I will certainly advise the line Minister that the Deputy raised the matter and perhaps he will pass that on to the local official responsible.
If he had given such an answer to the question which prompted this thread... well we wouldn't have this thread though.
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 21:05   #52
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
If he had given such an answer to the question which prompted this thread... well we wouldn't have this thread though.
If some commentator in a paper had not decided to share his colourful opinion, we would not have a thread.

There is no rule that says the leader of a country must be polite. Indeed, it would be ludicrous to expect a Taoiseach to be unfailingly courteous when dealing with members of the opposition.

What should be expected, or even demanded, is that the leader of a country be capable of compassion for the people he leads.

On Tuesday, Leo Varadkar proved once again that compassion is not his style.
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 21:14   #53
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
There is no rule that says the leader of a country must be polite. Indeed, it would be ludicrous to expect a Taoiseach to be unfailingly courteous when dealing with members of the opposition.
What should be expected, or even demanded, is that the leader of a country be capable of compassion for the people he leads.
On Tuesday, Leo Varadkar proved once again that compassion is not his style.
I'm not even expecting unfailing politeness to the opposition at all times or depths of compassion.

When GK was asking the question, he wasn't an opposition TD he was acting on behalf of a citizen. That is who Varadkar should have been polite to.
In the rough and tumble of elections and debates, I don't expect a Taoiseach to be polite to opposition TDs (although that's rather short sighted given that you don't know who you might need support for after next election).

Nor do I really expect compassion, but at the very least some sort of recognition of fellow humanity... 'fraternity'?

Varadkar is incapable of both. He's a fame whore nothing more.
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 21:26   #54
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Doesn't give a toss about those paying for low income families either by the looks of it.
LOL good one.
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 21:28   #55
dxhound2005

He gave a much more detailed reply a few months ago. And reasonably enough the delay is due to the need to ensure the quality of any new medicines meets the requirements. Gino is well known for smoking dope, and wanting to have it legalised for recreational use. As a medical doctor, Varadkar might be sceptical about the campaigns to introduce cannabis for medicinal use, given the parties who are advocating this.

https://www.thejournal.ie/medicinal-...65162-Nov2018/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...rugs-1.2906596
14-06-2019, 21:31   #56
Mark Rippetoe

Mod: Moved to Politics Cafe
Thread Closed