Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-06-2019, 22:35   #16
bilston

Bit s*** for Ulster
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 12:38   #17
phog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_In_Jack View Post
They should have swapped Munster and Leinster to even up the conferences and keep Glasgow in a separate conference to Leinster.
Ignoring the playoffs is a disappointment considering that they used them properly for ranking the teams for the Heineken Cup draw.
Why?

They ignored the playoff when they created the conferences when we changed from Pro12 to Pro14
18-06-2019, 13:16   #18
Buer

I'd be sore about the conferences but I'm sure Leinster were aware at how the pools were going to be formed before they took the foot off the gas. It's a bit of a silly way to work it out but Leinster have nobody to blame but themselves.
18-06-2019, 13:26   #19
Cookiemunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buer View Post
I'd be sore about the conferences but I'm sure Leinster were aware at how the pools were going to be formed before they took the foot off the gas. It's a bit of a silly way to work it out but Leinster have nobody to blame but themselves.
The Pro14 swapped the Irish and Welsh seedings. Munster and Connacht were 1 & 4 two years ago when the original conferences were decided and were in A. Now they are again 1 & 4 but have moved to B.

As I said in another thread I think they did this to make sure that more than just Ospreys and Scarlets swapped conferences as would have been the case under the original seeding system.
18-06-2019, 13:31   #20
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buer View Post
I'm still reasonably convinced Leinster will top the pool so I don't overly care.
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 14:01   #21
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge_irl View Post
I'm still reasonably convinced Leinster will top the pool so I don't overly care.
I am absolutely convinced Leinster will stroll to the top of the conference again.
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 18:01   #22
Jump_In_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by phog View Post
Why?

They ignored the playoff when they created the conferences when we changed from Pro12 to Pro14
The playoffs backed up the table results when the conferences were first devised so there were no issues and the conferences worked fairly well over the past two seasons.

However, sticking to the same system has made the conferences a bit uneven now.
They have missed a good opportunity to use the results to seed the conferences more accurately.

Would have been a lot better to just seed the teams according to the strength of the clubs.

FWIW I think the following split would have made for two far more even conferences:

Conference A
Leinster
Munster
Benetton
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Dragons
Kings

Conference B
Glasgow
Ulster
Connacht
Ospreys
Scarlets
Cheetahs
Zebre
19-06-2019, 12:12   #23
Jump_In_Jack

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne: Scotland scrum-half to leave Scarlets
Anybody know why Sam Hidalgo-Clyne has fallen so far out of favour in recent years?
He's now a free agent.
20-06-2019, 14:22   #24
razorblunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_In_Jack View Post
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne: Scotland scrum-half to leave Scarlets
Anybody know why Sam Hidalgo-Clyne has fallen so far out of favour in recent years?
He's now a free agent.
His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his Edinburgh stay, once it was announced he was leaving it picked up as he was in the shop window.

I wonder will he sign back on at Quins?

In other Edinburgh news, seems to be a few whispers doing the rounds that Kwagga Smith is Embra bound.
Advertisement
20-06-2019, 17:23   #25
Dog Botherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his Edinburgh stay, once it was announced he was leaving it picked up as he was in the shop window.

I wonder will he sign back on at Quins?

In other Edinburgh news, seems to be a few whispers doing the rounds that Kwagga Smith is Embra bound.
Good bit of business for Edinburgh there if true. Smith has been very impressive every time i’ve seen him, and wasn’t a million miles away from consideration for the WC.
23-06-2019, 22:04   #26
razorblunt

3 month cover for the WC it seems unless he gets picked himself.
24-06-2019, 08:27   #27
stephen_n

Hidalgo-Clynne to Racing an interesting move.
Thanks from:
24-06-2019, 18:26   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC83 View Post
Quinlan mentioned on OTB that the final would be in Cardiff City Stadium next year. Though I haven't read about it anywhere else?

Nice to have it in Cardiff, a shame the Principality is too big for it
Is that grass or plastic?
24-06-2019, 18:36   #29
Buer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_n View Post
Hidalgo-Clynne to Racing an interesting move.
Only a short term move though. I'd say he's playing for his career at this point. If that goes badly, nobody is going to really want him and he'll end up taking a pretty crap contract somewhere.

I can't see him getting much game time though even with Machenaud at the RWC. Iribaren is the clear back up and a cut above SHC. Chauveau has left this summer though so he should be back up until the end of the RWC.

I saw he commented that he possibly wold have had to even decline a call up if Townsend named him as he had to give his club career priority (I assume he meant trying to rescue it).
25-06-2019, 22:04   #30
leakyboots

Any word on broadcast rights for this and the Heineken?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion