uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 23:43   #1
Registered User
Cazzums's Avatar
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 32
House adaption grant for disabilities

Hello all can anyone tell me if anyone has gone through the process of applying for a housing grant for a disabled individual through their local council? I am looking at applying for adding a downstairs bedroom and en-suite for a disabled person. How does the priority list work? How long does it take to be approved? Is it only for specific disabilities? What inspections are carried out? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance!
Cazzums is offline  
04-08-2019, 16:49   #2
Registered User
angeleyes's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 557
My husband applied and was awarded a small grant as decided by a technician. However the council refused to send an occupational therapist to us but we have engaged one privately. We are having a difficult time with our local council. I wish you luck with your application.
angeleyes is offline  
04-08-2019, 20:39   #3
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,638
As far as i know you apply to the council and they will send an ot who works with the hse to measure up but if you are getting a grant from the council it will be their way of doing things.

Op I dont know if you intend building an extention or renovating the existing bedroom

It dosent take that long for approval but I am talking 5 years back or more things are probably different now

As long as the person has a disability even it may not yet be visable they can apply
lulu1 is offline  
04-08-2019, 23:49   #4
Registered User
the14thwarrior's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 222
The council do not send an OT from the HSE, unfortunately they are two seperate entities. if you contact your HSE OT find out if they actually do the reports. many don't, or the waiting list is so long that you are better hiring a private OT.

the council generally don't contact the OT on your behalf. it is your responsibility.
each council is different, but i 100% know the dublin process.

all the councils have their own priority list, but in general if you are terminal ill, have a neurological severe condition (stroke, motor neuron) or in hospital and can't be discharged until the works are done, you will be a priority.
most councils will only grant a downstairs bathroom and bedroom if there are no other options. it can be hard to get both rooms done. and very expensive. in general if you can't get on a stairlift, they will grant a bathroom. there are specific guidelines.

it is income based, and need based. the income guidelines are very clear, and the ratio of grant to income is clear on the form.
the14thwarrior is offline  
04-08-2019, 23:53   #5
Registered User
the14thwarrior's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 222
each council has a different waiting list, the only way to find out is to call them and ask them. and your priority will also have an impact on this.
bear in mind a bedroom and bathroom downstairs is very expensive, and the maximum grant is only 30,000. room sizes and criteria are expensive, and most people hire an OT first, so that can feed your quotes and architure report.

do not get an archititure first, and i'm crap at spelling that word, as they will put in all sorts of stuff that is not necessary or will be lovely but too expensive.

make sure you get a builder who knows the process, as the criteria is very much in line with building regulations, and there are no short cuts.

in dublin, they won't give you a bedroom if you have a spare room or a dining room downstairs. the council across dublin are very fair, and generally excellent in giving the grant
if you live in a council house, you still need to get your own OT but they will send their own builders. and in dublin they will not put an extension on in a mid terrace house, end of.
the14thwarrior is offline  
05-08-2019, 00:04   #6
Registered User
the14thwarrior's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 222
Sorry one last thing.
it is not for specific disabilities.
think about it like this........... the medical doctor signs and stamps the form to state what is wrong with you and if the modifications might help. bear in mind the GP is only required
the OT does a report to say how the disability impacts on your functional ability
the council's job is to process the grant.
they cannot make a determination on medical or function
but they are in the business of giving a public funded grant, and therefore they can refuse an extension downstairs if there are cheaper options.

in general the bathroom upstairs and a stairlift are the common modifications.
in dublin they will fund a downstairs toilet of a smaller size but it can be difficult to get in under the stairs due to the strict head height requirements.

an old person with arthritis qualifies, and if they have dementia they can't get on and off the stair lift
an person with COPD and bad knees might qualify but why can't they get on and off a stairlift?
a person with anxiety and phobias might find a stairlift ok, but if their partner in the house cannot squeeze by the lift, and it might be dangerous, then a stairlift is not ok.
a person in a wheelchair ..... enough said
someone who hates the look and thought of a stairlift and thinks a bedroom and bathroom would be great for the future, and they have a dicky heart.... does not qualify.
the14thwarrior is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Remove Text Formatting

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Share Tweet