Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shiminay wrote: »
    I can't imagine the average household goes over 10-15GB at the moment.

The nonsense people come out with.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rate-of-households-with-broadband-higher-than-eu-average-459011.html

2 years ago the average residential subscriber used 135GBs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Are you sure? It's still in the terms and conditions that if you exceed you will be charged not may be.

There's other examples of the reps on here saying it's not enforced if you go looking too: https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110369314

With eir I'm less sure, but I could have sworn they changed their policy for new customers at least about a year ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

wow, I didn't realise it'd gone that high - I try to balance out my own high usage as being quite above average in comparison to what I know my friends use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

wow, I didn't realise it'd gone that high - I try to balance out my own high usage as being quite above average in comparison to what I know my friends use :)

Most people these days rip through about 15gb a month looking at Instagram on their phones let alone what they use on their home network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm adverse to google controlling even more of peoples data and reducing PC ownership even more but at the same time Stadia might act like a gateway to increasing PC ownership. Get a taste of it through streaming then decide to buy to reduce latency and increase picture quality.

And of course do all the other great things you can do outside of gaming.

If games have to be bought then it's a great thing for developers as it will bring millions more to the PC market.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm adverse to google controlling even more of peoples data and reducing PC ownership even more but at the same time Stadia might act like a gateway to increasing PC ownership. Get a taste of it through streaming then decide to buy to reduce latency and increase picture quality.

And of course do all the other great things you can do outside of gaming.

If games have to be bought then it's a great thing for developers as it will bring millions more to the PC market.

I would have thought this will make pcs less appetising tbh. I would see Android devices as the main thing people will use it on.

I don't know if it's been confirmed or not but I was under the impression even games you buy are still only streamed to your device.

Maybe if it's good enough for most casuals which it probably will be.

Fine for single player games but you are going to be at a serious disadvantage in competitive multi player games on stadia which might encourage some to buy PC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This is no different to what Nvidia are already doing with Geforce Now. I don't see it making any difference to the console or pc gaming markets. It's just a nice add-on and another platform

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

BloodBath wrote: »
    Maybe if it's good enough for most casuals which it probably will be.

Fine for single player games but you are going to be at a serious disadvantage in competitive multi player games on stadia which might encourage some to buy PC's.

It's not a surprise that the first game they showed off was a single player game.

One way of dealing with the latency gap between PC and Stadia players would be to restrict Stadia players to only other Stadia players. Everyone has the same problem then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I just checked my data usage for this month (8 days in) and it's 250GB already. No netflix. This is from streaming a couple of hours of gaming (outgoing to things like twitch) every other day. I'm guessing google will handle streaming from their side to youtube so the user doesn't need anything like OBS nor will they be burdened from having video going in and out. That would easily rack up to 1TB by the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is no different to what Nvidia are already doing with Geforce Now. I don't see it making any difference to the console or pc gaming markets. It's just a nice add-on and another platform

No, it is different. It's Alphabet. Tidal Vs Google Music.

ED E wrote: »
    No, it is different. It's Alphabet. Tidal Vs Google Music.

I still don't see it making any indents to the console and pc gaming markets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's not a surprise that the first game they showed off was a single player game.

One way of dealing with the latency gap between PC and Stadia players would be to restrict Stadia players to only other Stadia players. Everyone has the same problem then.

Well, it depends on how they choose to handle communication between multiple players. I'm simply talking Stadia to Stadia playing here.

If you had multiple players in Western Europe - say you and a few friends, then their virtual machine instances would, more than likely, be hosted in the same physical server farm. This would reduce inter-player latency to virtually zero (no pun intended).

Even if you were playing with people around the world, each player would probably be connected to their nearest server farm. Each of these farms would already be interconnected by multiple, extremely high-bandwidth and low latency leased-line connections (MPLS connections or something similar).

So, I don't believe INTER-PLAYER lag is going to be an issue. I think, if there is going to be a latency issue, it is going to be between the server farms themselves and the end point players.

It may not matter to casual gamers (Such as myself) to a great degree. Unless it was really noticeable. Anything more than 1/3 of a second lag is going to be noticeable even to casual gamers.

But I can't see more hardcore gamers or people who prefer twitch-reaction type games like COD going for this. I just don't think it will be up for it.

I mean, I could be wrong. Time will certainly tell. Again, we here in Ireland/Western Europe will probably get the best of it. Along with urban North America and South Korea (I didn't notice. Was Korea mentioned as a launch country). Basically anywhere with a large Google/Alphabet server presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i-XZk8XBL-2100x20000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Or..... "I'm curious and willing to give something a go and not knock console-specific fanboys and don't want to spend thousands on a dedicated GPU that will be obsolete in 18 months....... Just sayin'."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

don't want to spend thousands on a dedicated GPU that will be obsolete in 18 months

Actually if you spent that much on a GPU it should last almost a decade. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm curious about Stadia.

To be honest, the Destiny 2 details have me interested, from the cross save perspective. I figure that will be a good place for me to dip my toe.

I do have concerns on (1) Bandwidth, (2) Latency - but i'm considering the founder thing. Just to see what it is like, to be honest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And it's not like Google won't just suddenly shut down a product they don't feel is performing to their expectations like Wave, Reader, Inbox, Plus and so on... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Frankly, my main concerns are around the long term support for games, general quality and market trends; Also, I've got a feeling the whole thing will get expensive - games are a complex thing to run that require complex setups ond operations; Much more than a Netflix or a Spotify.

Long term support - once a game doesn't have the playerbase (and revenue) to justify keeping it going, it will be shut down and there'll be no way to play it; It's not even remotely the same as "movies and music" as some say, these can be played locally by the same device(s) used to stream them. Games on the other hand come with pretty specific resources requirements, which the streaming device won't match - actually, it's the whole point of the "cloud gaming" thing.

For the general quality, I am afraid it'll be a race towards the lowest common denominator; It is a very safe bet to say the vast majority of people will want to play these games on a phone or a tablet and there are already cries online about the fact a controller is, at the moment, required - take this from Digital Trends:
    The entire point of a mobile game is the pick-up-and-play accessibility. It’s low effort, quick, easy. If you need a controller, then you might as well buy a portable console.
    (https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/google-stadia-not-a-platform-for-everyone/)

It doesn't take a lot of foresight to anticipate the requirement for a controller to be dropped quickly in order to attract more customers. The games will need to be adapted and developed to suit a touchscreen interface, which means it's going to be a race to the bottom in terms of features, complexity and depth.

Which brings to the third point - it could be either a curse or a blessing, depending on how the public reacts to it. Hopefully it's going to be seen more as an "addition", a different way to get gaming for those people who wouldn't otherwise do so, by all means - it'd be a similar situation as when the Wii came out, with most non-gamers being attracted by the gimmick of motion control, which otherwise failed to attract established players in masses.

Otherwise, we could be in for a big regression in general quality, once companies figure out they can stand losing the more "core" audience if they gain access to a much wider "casual" one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And it's not like Google won't just suddenly shut down a product they don't feel is performing to their expectations like Wave, Reader, Inbox, Plus and so on... ;)

That's the main concern I'd have with Stadia. Saying that if they pull the plug in a year or two, I imagine they'd refund game purchases at lease (probably not monthly fees though).

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Frankly, my main concerns are around the long term support for games, general quality and market trends; Also, I've got a feeling the whole thing will get expensive - games are a complex thing to run that require complex setups ond operations; Much more than a Netflix or a Spotify.

Long term support - once a game doesn't have the playerbase (and revenue) to justify keeping it going, it will be shut down and there'll be no way to play it; It's not even remotely the same as "movies and music" as some say, these can be played locally by the same device(s) used to stream them. Games on the other hand come with pretty specific resources requirements, which the streaming device won't match - actually, it's the whole point of the "cloud gaming" thing.

For the general quality, I am afraid it'll be a race towards the lowest common denominator; It is a very safe bet to say the vast majority of people will want to play these games on a phone or a tablet and there are already cries online about the fact a controller is, at the moment, required - take this from Digital Trends:

(https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/google-stadia-not-a-platform-for-everyone/)

It doesn't take a lot of foresight to anticipate the requirement for a controller to be dropped quickly in order to attract more customers. The games will need to be adapted and developed to suit a touchscreen interface, which means it's going to be a race to the bottom in terms of features, complexity and depth.

Which brings to the third point - it could be either a curse or a blessing, depending on how the public reacts to it. Hopefully it's going to be seen more as an "addition", a different way to get gaming for those people who wouldn't otherwise do so, by all means - it'd be a similar situation as when the Wii came out, with most non-gamers being attracted by the gimmick of motion control, which otherwise failed to attract established players in masses.

Otherwise, we could be in for a big regression in general quality, once companies figure out they can stand losing the more "core" audience if they gain access to a much wider "casual" one...

This mobile gaming thing is only a trend because of China. I'm not talking about your missus playing candy crush on her phone either. I'm talking about the likes of pubg on mobile. I'm amazed it's even possible or that people can control it well but there's no doubt it is a far inferior experience that will not take off in the west.

For every ****ty company that turns their back on their core audience to cater to mobile casuals (like Blizzard) there will be more to rise up and take their place. Consoles and PC gaming with proper controls are going nowhere as long as there are people with money that don't mind paying more for a better experience.

At least I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To be fair bar plus all those were beta programs and advertised as such.

Stadia had a full product launch and is a production application paid for. Stark difference...

listermint wrote: »
    To be fair bar plus all those were beta programs and advertised as such.

Stadia had a full product launch and is a production application paid for. Stark difference...

Google Reader wasn't a beta program, it was around for years

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

For the above I would be interested in 1 month subs type thing, mainly to see if it works.

Altho my PC would probably knife me in my sleep for cheating on it (9900k,2080, Predator 4k monitor)

The only way I'd invest in this is for every game you buy you're entitled to an offline backup copy if you so choose to download it. So you buy a game to keep forever but the ability to stream it remotely is part of the subscription model if you wish to invest into that. My main gripe is that you cannot access game files which is such a shame because we know that linux is the backend and as full linux gamer myself I would love to see the advances being made here come to the actual consumers and not locked somewhere deep in google's data centers only to ever be accessed remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The only way I'd invest in this is for every game you buy you're entitled to an offline backup copy if you so choose to download it. So you buy a game to keep forever but the ability to stream it remotely is part of the subscription model if you wish to invest into that. My main gripe is that you cannot access game files which is such a shame because we know that linux is the backend and as full linux gamer myself I would love to see the advances being made here come to the actual consumers and not locked somewhere deep in google's data centers only to ever be accessed remotely.

For you thats literally impossible but for others like normal people :D I would expect either a steam key (or other) for the game in the eventual possible collapse of this.

Tbh I can see it working eventually and it will become the norm as the tech improves but as I said above Multiplayer will be near impossible to make work unless its PVE coop.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    For you thats literally impossible but for others like normal people :D

What exactly is impossible? :confused: Didn't get which part you were referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

There is no way I'll buy games on Google Stadia. Way too risky unless there is a way to keep the games on some platform if it goes under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I would buy games, assuming we could buy them on Play store, be a great way to use up some of that 3 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »

Called it.

Destiny 2 Google Stadia players can only play with other Stadia players at launch

I know that it says there's no restriction on them actually doing it eventually, but I doubt that they will, or it'll be an option with an disclaimer that you'll probably lose to someone on dedicated hardware.

Advertisement