Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2019?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quick feet wrote: »
    Some targets to chase throughout the year

Distance|Current PB|Target
    Marathon| 3:14:55|3:12:00
    Half|1:31:30|1:29:59
    10 Miles|68:13|67:30
    10k|40:58|40:00
    5 Miles|33:07|32:00
    5K|19:44|19:00

Last year I managed 1850 miles, this was across 2 marathon blocks.. I'd be happy to hit in excess of 1500 miles as I may not be doing a marathon this year.
    Main goal is as far under 1:30 for a half marathon

Your times are quite similar to mine. I'll be an interested observer of how you get on. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 surmise

Want to shoot for at least 2500km. Have never actually topped 1000, but that's within a 6 month window so just need to up the mileage a bit and y'know... do it twice this time

I'd be delighted if the year went something like this:

1. Marathon April or May - sub 2.45'd be nice

2. Build on that for a sub 16 5k

3. Build on that for a sub 4.15 1500m

Going from long to short makes more sense to me but probably not enough time between 2 and 3 if the last outdoor 1500m is in what... August? Could reverse those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 surmise

surmise wrote: »
    Want to shoot for at least 2500km. Have never actually topped 1000, but that's within a 6 month window so just need to up the mileage a bit and y'know... do it twice this time

I'd be delighted if the year went something like this:

1. Marathon April or May - sub 2.45'd be nice

2. Build on that for a sub 16 5k

3. Build on that for a sub 4.15 1500m

Going from long to short makes more sense to me but probably not enough time between 2 and 3 if the last outdoor 1500m is in what... August? Could reverse those.

Wait... What? I meant miles

Balls, that doesn't bode well for the report I was doing today in work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You'll get afew mile track races later in the year, you can always grab a 15 split at 109m to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

OOnegative wrote: »
    Once again that time of year, out with the old & in with the new!! What do you aspire to in 2019?

1. Consistency - I need to be more consistent with my training, I can do 3-4 good weeks of training then sit back get lazy and admire them, no more.

2. PB’s - I normally list arbitrary time goals in this but not this year, if I train properly and consistently PB’s will come be it 5 secs or 10 mins.

3. Weight Loss - I need to lose some weight to run those PB’s, at 13 stone i’m just a tad heavy!!

4. Injury free - hitting myself with a big plank of wood typing this one, i’ve been very lucky past few years, keep it that way.

5. Podium - aim high and all that, pipe dream this one, but what the hell!!!

Happy Christmas to one and all on the A/R Forum, may the running year of 2019 be good to you all.

Podium goal knocked off the list this morning with a second place finish at the Puinduinrun Kort route, who knew, pipe dreams do come true every now and then. Delighted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Podium goal knocked off the list this morning with a second place finish at the Puinduinrun Kort route, who knew, pipe dreams do come true every now and then. Delighted!!

Brilliant stuff lad. Congrats on the podium. You should've said you were racing!

Brilliant stuff lad. Congrats on the podium. You should've said you were racing!

I did if you read the last update on my log!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    I did if you read the last update on my log!!

Haha I did read it. I assumed when it was up in the air it wasn't a definite. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic!! Well done you, that's very impressive! Great to get the 'toughest' goal knocked off the list before the first month of the year is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hmmmmmm, I've dillied and dallied on this one.

PBs are getting harder to come by now, but I guess the title says Goals, not PBs.

Anyway:

Half M. current is 1.21.06 and I'd like to have a go at it. Same place, Diekirch in March
    Marathon: would like to knock a couple of minutes off the 2.59, maybe target 2.54 in Duisburg in June. Weather has to play ball but April and May suit for training........

Some days I think I'll go Ultra before I really get too old. Did 75k Trail 18 months ago and might try a Longie in Autumn of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

The year to actually commit rather than talk.

New to running races, having pounded the pavement on/off for some time for years.

First race is booked.. Trim 10 mile, 3rd Feb. Aim to finish and get used to race environment. Good time would be a bonus.. Maybe 1.25

Run race series. And culminate with DCM with a current goal of 3.45. Let's see how the training goes!

Off to a good start.. First ever race done today in Trim and comfortably under the 1.25 above! Need to figure out how to keep momentum going now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I debated about setting goals and targets for 2019 but mainly I want to beat my current PBs which are:

5km: 24:32
    Parkrun: 25:25 (Ballincollig)
    5M: 40:50
    10km: 53:47 (from a training run as opposed to a race)
    10M: 1:31:12
    HM: 1:58:44
    Marathon: 4:20:05

I’m not going to set particular targets as I want to just chip away at the above PBs and I’m not really one for big PBs. I want to train sensibly and consistently and I’ll get there.

I also want to run minimum 1500 miles.
    December 30th: Togher 5km: 24:32 PB (previous 24:45)

Delighted to have got my first (of hopefully many!) pb of the year and do 24:39 in Parkrun on 2nd Feb. The plan is working:D

Delighted to have got my first (of hopefully many!) pb of the year and do 24:39 in Parkrun on 2nd Feb. The plan is working:D

Parkrun PBs don't count! They're not races...They are social events don't you know? :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Parkrun PBs don't count! They're not races...They are social events don't you know? :D

I worked hard enough for it! I’m claiming it :D

Thanks be to Jaysus that none of those dogs got in your way! I find a Brooks up the posterior normally sorts them out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

claim everything you can!!!!

I debated about setting goals and targets for 2019 but mainly I want to beat my current PBs which are:

5km: 24:32
    Parkrun: 25:25 (Ballincollig)
    5M: 40:50
    10km: 53:47 (from a training run as opposed to a race)
    10M: 1:31:12
    HM: 1:58:44
    Marathon: 4:20:05

I’m not going to set particular targets as I want to just chip away at the above PBs and I’m not really one for big PBs. I want to train sensibly and consistently and I’ll get there.

I also want to run minimum 1500 miles.

So 2 PBs so far this year:
    2nd Feb: Parkrun 24:39
    17th Feb: 5 mile 39:56

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

10k - Sub 44 (PB 44.22)

Just scraped in under the 44mins this morning in the rathcoffey 10k. Enjoyable race.

Just scraped in under the 44mins this morning in the rathcoffey 10k. Enjoyable race.

Great stuff, very well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Great stuff, very well done!!

Thanks! Happy out. Was a little unexpected, but it's encouraging to think I'm a bit ahead of where I was last yr!

• Advertisement

Very well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Ticked the 5k off on Saturday at a wet day at the Fitzer 5k in Dundalk. Came home in 17:56 for a fairly hefty PB. My previous best was probably a bit soft to be fair.

Distance|Current PB|Goal
    5k|18:11|17:59
    5 mile|29:57|29:49
    10k|37:36|37:21
    10 mile|1:03:07|1:02:25
    Half Marathon|1:24:27|1:23:16
    Marathon|2:59:09|2:55:14

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

The Buster wrote: »
    Started running end of March and did about 700km this year. No races but approx PB’s are 24.55 for 5km parkrun and about 54.00 for 10km

Goals for 2019:
    - run in a race
    - 23 min for 5km
    - 50 min 10km
    -avg 30km a week so total 1560km for year
    - under 4.00 for a 1km split
    - lose 10kg (lost 15 since March)

Haven’t achieved any yet but moving in right direction

- still not run a race but a few events coming up so will pick one. I did do 2 duathlons but not counting them as plan was a run race
    - my 5km Pb is 23;22 (from 24:55)
    - 50:58 for 10km (was 54:00)
    - at 330km for year so below target but have done a lot more cycling than planned for the duathlon races. Running has picked up and have done about 35km each of last 3 weeks. Have seen a huge improvement in times over last week so guess it’s down to the extra distance
    - 4:17 for 1 km split (was about 4:30)
    - weight hasn’t moved much (down 2 kg) but I have developed lot of leg muscle so guess body/fat has improved

Once again that time of year, out with the old & in with the new!! What do you aspire to in 2019?

1. Consistency - I need to be more consistent with my training, I can do 3-4 good weeks of training then sit back get lazy and admire them, no more.

2. PB’s - I normally list arbitrary time goals in this but not this year, if I train properly and consistently PB’s will come be it 5 secs or 10 mins.

3. Weight Loss - I need to lose some weight to run those PB’s, at 13 stone i’m just a tad heavy!!

4. Injury free - hitting myself with a big plank of wood typing this one, i’ve been very lucky past few years, keep it that way.

5. Podium - aim high and all that, pipe dream this one, but what the hell!!!

Happy Christmas to one and all on the A/R Forum, may the running year of 2019 be good to you all.

I doubled the podium goal this morning with a 3rd place at the 55th Drie Molenloop.

I doubled the podium goal this morning with a 3rd place at the 55th Drie Molenloop.

The venerable old race has fallen on hard times; might get the train up next year for the win.

Itziger wrote: »
    The venerable old race has fallen on hard times; might get the train up next year for the win.

Have you ran it before?

Have you ran it before?

I was only taking the pi$$, man. I have no idea what the race is like or what the winning time was or anything else. Only thing I was going on was your finishing third!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

MisterDrak wrote: »

4. Sub 69min 10Mile (Probably the Battle of Clontarf in April).

Done 1:08:40 yesterday in the Battle of Clontarf 10m, Leinster Champs.

Itziger wrote: »
    I was only taking the pi$$, man. I have no idea what the race is like or what the winning time was or anything else. Only thing I was going on was your finishing third!!!

;)

I know, not great standard at all. Maureen Koster, Dutch track athlete has raced in the past and holds the ladies course record. Just you being on the Continent also you may have wandered up this far before.

• Advertisement

I know, not great standard at all. Maureen Koster, Dutch track athlete has raced in the past and holds the ladies course record. Just you being on the Continent also you may have wandered up this far before.

I'm scarred for life, m8, with racing in your adopted country. My only experience was a baptism of fire in the Rotterdam marathon of 2011. Aimed for a 3.10 as you do and hobbled home in 3.32. Then proceeded to faint 3 times in the luxurious underground carpark of the hotel an hour later.

One thing I will say, the support was immense. People massaging the legs, tossing me spray for the calfs cramping and then the post fainting help was A1 as well.

So the jury's out for me and The Netherlands!

Advertisement