Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-01-2018, 15:34   #1
Zzippy

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Off Topic Thread 4.0

Thread continued from here

The usual rules apply. Non-rugby talk here. Consider this a social place, but like a pub, things like religion and politics can be divisive, so don't say things here you wouldn't say to someone's face in the pub. Sober
Advertisement
30-01-2018, 15:39   #2
Venjur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzippy View Post
so don't say things here you wouldn't say to someone's face in the pub. Sober
Zzippy has a nice arse.
30-01-2018, 15:41   #3
Zzippy

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venjur View Post
Zzippy has a nice arse.
Now that's what I'm talking about... just keep your hands to yourself!
30-01-2018, 15:41   #4
stephen_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post

not correct either

the MRBI poll in march 2015 had the yes vote at 74 % ... it passed at 62%, proving people turn more conservative when closer to the vote.
That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate. How often do polls predict accurately the outcome? If they did Brexit wouldn’t have happened, Hilary would be president and Theresa May would have a big majority. Attributing it to a swing towards conservatism may be a good narrative for polling companies but it isn’t a factual based one.

Up till last night the grey area existed, now it doesn’t so that supposed 15% undecided will probably shrink rapidly.

Unless the opinion polls are being extrapolated from previously gathered data, though I’m sure that never happens
30-01-2018, 15:43   #5
irishbucsfan

MRBI did another poll last week, I believe. Would be interesting to see what it'd be at now that the referendum has actually been announced, the numbers actually matter suddenly!
Advertisement
30-01-2018, 16:10   #6
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_n View Post
That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate.
sorry but the trend expressed was that voters tend to vote more conservatively when closer to the voting time... that has been borne out many times in many issues for it to actually be seen as a trend.

you said
Quote:
The notion of people voting more conservatively when it came time to vote was mooted for the marriage referendum too, but didn’t seem to happen

i clearly showed that actually... thats exactly what happened.

No one is questioning whether polls are inaccurate or not, they are, purely by definition.... so im not sure why you posted the above.

the reason why i brought up the trend of voters voting more conservative is because the last MRBI poll, which suggested 62% would be in favour of repeal, will mean that the actual voting number will most likely be less than that therefore the 'pro repeal' side shouldnt be resting on their laurels
30-01-2018, 16:26   #7
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_n View Post
That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate. How often do polls predict accurately the outcome? If they did Brexit wouldn’t have happened, Hilary would be president and Theresa May would have a big majority. Attributing it to a swing towards conservatism may be a good narrative for polling companies but it isn’t a factual based one.
Didn't plenty of polls show Brexit was a serious possibility but people figured the voting would be different?
30-01-2018, 16:34   #8
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge_irl View Post
Didn't plenty of polls show Brexit was a serious possibility but people figured the voting would be different?
Yep and similarly, the presidential election polling gave trump around a 33% chance of winning according to fivethirtyeight, a stats website, before the election. The same site was giving Romney a 7% chance in 2012. So Trumps victory wasn’t as shocking as portrayed.

General election polling in the UK has a poor track record historically I think I remember reading, missed the conservative romp in ‘15 too.
30-01-2018, 16:36   #9
Interested Observer

Quote:
Yes. And things tightened up massively as the vote approached. Red = Leave, Green = Remain.

Advertisement
30-01-2018, 17:13   #10
Neil3030

Send a message via ICQ to Neil3030
Slightly misleading graph - the mean values came closer together, but the variance (particularly in Leave prediction) increased, just by looking at it. Thus, you can retrospectively say the aggregate of the polls fell on or around the eventual vote, but at the time, predicting the result from the polls was not so easy.
30-01-2018, 17:31   #11
Podge_irl

Predicting to would have been difficult sure but to call Brexit unforeseen based on polls is utterly incorrect.
30-01-2018, 17:36   #12
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil3030 View Post
Slightly misleading graph - the mean values came closer together, but the variance (particularly in Leave prediction) increased, just by looking at it. Thus, you can retrospectively say the aggregate of the polls fell on or around the eventual vote, but at the time, predicting the result from the polls was not so easy.
I think that's the point really. They don't clearly show Remain to win.
30-01-2018, 17:47   #13
stephen_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
sorry but the trend expressed was that voters tend to vote more conservatively when closer to the voting time... that has been borne out many times in many issues for it to actually be seen as a trend.

you said

i clearly showed that actually... thats exactly what happened.

No one is questioning whether polls are inaccurate or not, they are, purely by definition.... so im not sure why you posted the above.

the reason why i brought up the trend of voters voting more conservative is because the last MRBI poll, which suggested 62% would be in favour of repeal, will mean that the actual voting number will most likely be less than that therefore the 'pro repeal' side shouldnt be resting on their laurels
You are not clearly showing that people voted more conservatively though. You are showing that the outcome of the vote was more conservative than predicted by the polls. That is not the same thing. The trend you are talking about can be explained by the poor samples used. MRBI polls sometimes use no more than 1000 subjects (Can't find the sample size for the current one), from varying age and gender demographics. They are predominately collected in major population centres, for ease of collection. This will obviously have an impact on the liberal/conservative split. Given that there is a far more conservative viewpoint in general outside the major urban centres. I'm not entirely sure if MRBI make adjustments for that, can't see anything in there posted results to suggest they do.

I would say 62% is squeaky bum time for the pro-repeal campaign as they would be lucky to get 52-55% based on that, given previous polls v outcomes.
I don't see this being anything but a close call in the end.
30-01-2018, 17:49   #14
Neil3030

Send a message via ICQ to Neil3030
Quote:
Predicting to would have been difficult sure but to call Brexit unforeseen based on polls is utterly incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Observer View Post
I think that's the point really. They don't clearly show Remain to win.
Ah ok, I get you now. Agreed.

Variance in polling will continue until they can adjust to the shift in media and technology usage. For e.g., are telephone polls really a reliable assay of voter behaviour these days?
30-01-2018, 17:50   #15
Interested Observer

It's well established that for a large population (i.e. all the adults in Ireland) that 1100 is enough to get within a +- 3% margin of error, which is why around that sample size is used very frequently.

Urban v rural or other factors could be an issue.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion