Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-04-2018, 12:45   #46
Goodshape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
  • Zach Snyder
  • Michael Bay
  • Guilermo Del Toro
  • Peter Jackson
  • James Cameron
  • Taiki Wattiti
  • McG
  • Joss Whedon
  • Spielberg
  • George Lucas (As well as writing)
  • All of the above in a pre-planned decade of movies

Note: List may or may not be just for fun and to get eyeballs twitching with rage
*twitch*

With the exception – maybe – of Del Toro, that is a list of names from my worst nightmares. I guess some of those guys can make a good film, but not a Trek film. Good god, no.

Someone like Garland or Villeneuve, though, would be very interesting.

Quote:
I think Villeneuve might not have the mindset for an action movie.
Exactly! He'd be perfect.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-04-2018, 12:46   #47
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Zack Synder, Michael Bay or George Lucas? I ... uh, respectfully disagree either of those 'directors' should be let anywhere near Trek any more films
A slight, yet important, correction
(2) thanks from:
04-04-2018, 12:50   #48
TheIrishGrover

Quote:
Zack Synder, Michael Bay or George Lucas? I ... uh, respectfully disagree either of those 'directors' should be let anywhere near Trek
Hence
Quote:
Note: List may or may not be just for fun and to get eyeballs twitching with rage
I don't think ANY of them should be allowed near Trek. There are some good directors there..... and some not so good. But even the good ones wouldn't suit Trek.... at all.
04-04-2018, 12:51   #49
Evade

Quote:
If there's any sense in the powers that be, the hypothetical 4th film should pump the breaks and retrofit Trek Movies into mid-budget thrillers; the so-called shared universes are now commonplace, so there's no reason why a bunch of narratively interconnected Trek films, telling relatively smaller scale stories, couldn't do very well for themselves.
I'd like this, I've always thought the Star Trek universe would suit an anthology series. I'm not sure we'd ever get a Star Trek film that didn't center around characters that originated on a TV series though.
04-04-2018, 12:58   #50
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evade View Post
I'd like this, I've always thought the Star Trek universe would suit an anthology series. I'm not sure we'd ever get a Star Trek film that didn't center around characters that originated on a TV series though.
Anthology series, TV or Film, are a very tough needle to thread & more often than not don't work out - especially Film series where any major success or failure tends to destroy the whole idea (see the Halloween franchise & its infamous third film, that tried & failed to make the series an anthological one).

I think a trilogy of smaller Kelvinverse Trek movies would work, framed as a more character focused, (conspiracy) thrillers would be the way to go; there's then scope for more Trek-like stories, interwoven with some longer-form storytelling.

Wonder how much Trek is valued at as a franchise these days: Netflix / Amazon are desperate for a cashcow genre franchise - and given the relative apathy Paramount / CBS treat Trek it could be sold for the right amount.
Advertisement
04-04-2018, 12:59   #51
TheIrishGrover

Quote:
If there's any sense in the powers that be, the hypothetical 4th film should pump the breaks and retrofit Trek Movies into mid-budget thrillers; the so-called shared universes are now commonplace, so there's no reason why a bunch of narratively interconnected Trek films, telling relatively smaller scale stories, couldn't do very well for themselves.
Yep. 100% I think they would do really well dialed back a little. No need to bring in a new species every movie: The bones are there to now start telling these kind of stories without having to revert to a bigger badder baddie each movie. Give us a Klingon power struggle movie, a Vulcan/Romulan unification/war movie, a discredited Enterprise crew movie....... Of the Marvel movies, (apart from Thor 3 which is fantastic), my favourite movies were Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2: Sure they went into flying fortresses and literally fire-breathing bad guys but, for the most part, they were dialed back compared to the rest.

I think Trek would be perfect for the type you suggest.
04-04-2018, 13:12   #52
Evade

Quote:
Anthology series, TV or Film, are a very tough needle to thread & more often than not don't work out - especially Film series where any major success or failure tends to destroy the whole idea (see the Halloween franchise & its infamous third film, that tried & failed to make the series an anthological one).
A traditional film release might not work for it but maybe the future of Star Trek films would be more suited to Netflix or something similar. I'd be happy if every couple of years we got a BSG reboot length Star Trek mini series on Netflix instead of a feature film.
06-04-2018, 09:22   #53
garbo speaks
Banned

Villeneuve would be perfect for a real thought provoking, high-concept Star Trek film. Just consider how refreshing and intelligent Blade Runner 2049 turned out to be. Sadly though, it did commercially poor, so from Hollywood's point of view in order to be successful, any big-budget sci-fi movies need to be mindless action-filled nonsense, populated by characters who make witty jokes every 30 seconds.
06-04-2018, 23:08   #54
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbo speaks View Post
Villeneuve would be perfect for a real thought provoking, high-concept Star Trek film. Just consider how refreshing and intelligent Blade Runner 2049 turned out to be. Sadly though, it did commercially poor, so from Hollywood's point of view in order to be successful, any big-budget sci-fi movies need to be mindless action-filled nonsense, populated by characters who make witty jokes every 30 seconds.
so from Hollywood's point of view in order to be successful, any big-budget sci-fi movies need to be mindless action-filled nonsense, populated by characters who make witty jokes every 30 seconds.

I do not believe that at all.

I think the film just needs to be promoted swell and if that means not letting critics in to see it before it is released so be it. Promote the film well show some action not all of it a little humour but not fake or forced like what was in some of the new films. There is plenty of humour in Star Trek from Data to Worf to Picard or Riker they could all be funny and had funny moments at times it just need to be done well and right.

I would love to see the Breen in a film. Not sure how. Maybe a starfleet ship gets lost in Breen space or attacked by rogue Breen or something. Anyone else any ideas how it could be done?
Advertisement
06-04-2018, 23:35   #55
Evade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
I would love to see the Breen in a film. Not sure how. Maybe a starfleet ship gets lost in Breen space or attacked by rogue Breen or something. Anyone else any ideas how it could be done?
After a disastrous first contact (to fill the big Hollywood action quota) with the Breen Confederacy a ship is dispatched to open formal diplomatic relations and negotiate the release of any survivors. Maybe one, or a group, of the released survivors want a little payback and almost drag the Federation into an all out war with the Breen. Throw in the diplomatic ship having to work with the Breen to track down the renegades like in TNG's the Wounded But that would probably involve a previously unseen ship and crew and I don't see a film introducing a new crew as the main cast.
Thanks from:
09-04-2018, 10:39   #56
TheIrishGrover

Have the Enterprise destroyed by sabotage in first 10 mins (For the trailer) and have them all stranded on an Earth-like planet trying to figure out how it happened and who is responsible (This conspiracy could lead to a multi-movie arc). Get Shane Black to write and direct (Which will mean that it will have to have Robert Downey Junior in it and it will have to be set at Christmas of course). Have it a character-driven piece instead of spectacle.

The only problem is is that Sci-Fi fans can be a crazy bunch, prone to bouts of toxic fandom. Any deviation of the norm is often met with the most vocal and repugnant hostility: Witness the hostility and negative spamming that the last Star Wars movie received. Look at the horrific racist and sexist abuse the women of the (very entertaining) Ghostbusters remake received.

So who would want to direct that? "Strand them on a planet? Where is the "Trek" in that you **%$$% hom$"££" piece of $£""%&^*. That director knows NOTHING about Trek. He's a %"%"$£% $%$%"""£*

And god help us if a WOMAN should direct. So I think the issue is that they are not going to rock the boat too much because, ironically, of the "fans"
09-04-2018, 11:39   #57
garbo speaks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
so from Hollywood's point of view in order to be successful, any big-budget sci-fi movies need to be mindless action-filled nonsense, populated by characters who make witty jokes every 30 seconds.

I do not believe that at all.
The highest grossing films in Hollywood support my claim.
09-04-2018, 11:50   #58
pixelburp

Blade Runner 2049 turned a profit though (albeit a small one that scarcely allowed execs to retire on), and anyone who seriously believed the film might be a giant blockbuster hit was ... foolish, to be charitable. It was a wonder Villeneuve managed to blag $150 million from the studio in the first place, just so he could make a sequel to a niche, cult film from 1982 (and let's be honest here, it has always remained thus, despite its sky-high reputation).

If the metric of discussion is that a new Trek film needs to compete in the stratosphere with all the other blockbuster behemoths - then Trek will always fail, and this was my argument a few posts back.

There's plenty of scope & room for intelligent, mid-budget sci-fi to exist in the mainstream; hell, the rebooted Planet of the Apes franchise proves that even medium budgeted blockbusters can compete handsomely - if treated with a modicum of care, and respects the audiences' intelligence. Just off the top of my head there are films such as Arrival, Annihilation, Ex Machina, Edge of Tomorrow, The Martian, Under the Skin (though I personally didn't like this film), Looper, District 9, Moon, Snowpiercer - all proving that there's space for 'intelligence' in successful sci-fi.

Paramount just need some balls to admit that Trek is NOT blockbuster fodder and retrofit the franchise to suit.

Last edited by pixelburp; 09-04-2018 at 12:06.
Thanks from:
09-04-2018, 12:49   #59
TheIrishGrover

It certainly does seem strange that Trek has not capitalised as much on the current resurgence of interest Sci-Fi has received. Sure, the vast majority are Super Hero movies but Star Wars films raking in 1.3 - 1.7 billion? Why are they not achieving anything near that? It may be that Trek is just that step too far into Sci-Fi for the mainstream. Certainly, talking to co-workers of mine, that seems to be the consensus: They will happily go to a Marvel movie and can't wait for each Star Wars movie but when I asked them about Star Trek: "Did you see the latest movie, or do you watch Discovery?" the answer is usually "Nah, that's a bit too nerdy for me" (That was a direct quote from two people).

I mean, the Trek fandom is, by a country mile, the most known (And ridiculed). It is the most visible and loyal: Is there a term for a Star Wars fan? Or a Marvel fan? I don't know. I wonder....... I wonder could it actually be to the detriment of the franchise financially. I wonder would the Paramount bean counters actually think "Y'know, the fans are great but maybe if they dialed it back a little bit we might get a larger audience"

Please note, I am not slagging the fans at all here. But, too the mainstream, they are certainly considered the "nerdiest" and a film needs to have a huge mainstream audience to really rake in the cash
09-04-2018, 12:57   #60
Evade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
I wonder would the Paramount bean counters actually think "Y'know, the fans are great but maybe if they dialed it back a little bit we might get a larger audience"
Isn't that what they did with the JJverse?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion