Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport Yoga - South Dublin?

• 31-10-2017 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi there,

Would anybody have any recommendations for Yoga Classes in South Dublin please?

Ideally I am looking to integrate Yoga into my training schedule so that I can greatly improve my overall flexibility.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

What kind of yoga do you want to do ? There are lots of different styles where the exercise ranges from very gentle to extremely vigorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

bonzo_k wrote: »
    What kind of yoga do you want to do ? There are lots of different styles where the exercise ranges from very gentle to extremely vigorous.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can help decide which yoga would be best for me so!?

I'm looking for yoga to improve my overall flexibility. I'm a physically fit and strong GAA player. My preference would be a type of yoga which understands the needs of sports people.

Hope that gives some insight. Thanks again.

Its very hard tell what would be best for you !

Maybe try a few different styles and see what clicks.

There are lots of classes and schools south side. YogaHub, YogaRoom, Samadhi in Templebar, Little Bird, etc etc.

I practice Ashtanga and have done so for the last 16 years. I like it because after learning the basics, it gave me a framework to practice on my own and not be reliant on a teacher. I have tried other styles of yoga, but ashtanga is the one I like.

I practice it in a gym, in combination with body weight and barbell exercises.

The only teachers I would recommend for Ashtanga are

David Collins http://www.ashtanga.ie
    and
    Gillian Mooney https://ashtangayogaireland.ie/

Ashtanga ( very physically demanding practice, classes always follow set sequence of postures )
    Vinyasa ( similar to Ashtanga, but usually made up by the teacher )
    Bikram ( very hot room, set sequence )
    Hot Yoga ( very hot room, postures up to teacher )
    Hatha ( fairly gentle, may focus on more spiritual aspects of the practice )
    Iyenga ( focus on alignment, long stays in postures, postures usually up to teacher )

If you are playing GAA and are strong, it might be better adding mobility exercises as part of your gym work. At least you can focus on your weaknesses. Book a private with a yoga teacher and ask for specific exercises that will help you. You can add those exercises to you own workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

If you're South Dublin try Sinead Kennedy, she is a yoga/pilates teacher and physical therapist. She is well into her sports and her knowledge of yoga and how it can help the body is amazing. Give her a call and see how she thinks she could help you.
    She has classes near the Bernard Shaw and also in Rathfarnham.

http://www.sineadekennedy.com/

Thanks very much for the replies. Very helpful and genuinely appreciated.

• Advertisement

Which is better for stretching/flexibility?

Yoga or Pilates?

I would say yoga is more flexibility focused, although depending on what form you practice there can be lots of plank variations which are very good for your core. I would add that flexibility without mobility is not a good thing, therefore I would recommend a form that teaches active stretching.

What I mean by mobility is being able to control your muscles as you stretch, rather than just collapsing into a stretch. An extreme example of good mobility would be being able to enter and exit the splits with just your leg strength. I think Jean Claud Van Damme does something like that between 2 trucks for some advertisement.

Pilates is focused on core strength. There is a hybrid yoga/pilates type, but I don't know anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 omsingh

Yoga is way better than pilets when it comes to flexibility.

Advertisement