Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2015, 17:23   #1
DeclanRe

Horizon: Zero Dawn

This looks fantastic!!!

Release Date TBC

Horizon Zero Dawn is an exhilarating new action role playing game developed by the award winning Guerrilla Games, creators of PlayStation’s venerated Killzone franchise. As Horizon Zero Dawn’s main protagonist Aloy, a skilled hunter, explore a vibrant and lush world inhabited by mysterious mechanized creatures. Embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself.

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-08-2015, 09:49   #2
DeclanRe

This game will look fantastic

Thanks from:
29-08-2015, 03:47   #3
Doge

I was going to post that here recently but backed out!

Im surprised there has been zero discussion on boards about the game after E3,
as it was the most risky, ambitous and unique game shown there imho.

My love of technology and the inner-hippy in me both are absolutely in love with the setting of this game.

It reflects on the history of past civilziations with the tribes, while being set in the distant future in a world dominated by robotic creatures.

Here's some more eye candy:

Last edited by Doge; 29-08-2015 at 03:51.
29-08-2015, 04:14   #4
Doge

Artwork:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (427.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Doge; 29-08-2015 at 06:20.
29-08-2015, 05:05   #5
Doge

Essential Reading:

The origins and world of Horizon Zero Dawn

Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'

Horizon's combat, world and RPG systems
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-08-2015, 05:25   #6
Doge

This is something I really respect Guerrilla games for doing,
After requests from fans wanting more detailed images of the main character Aloy, Guerilla put together a cosplay guide for them.

Have a look at the glorius detail they put into the character here:

http://killzone.dl.playstation.net/k...splayGuide.pdf
29-08-2015, 05:34   #7
Doge

A more in depth analysis of the e3 trailer:

An extremely detailed graphical analysis of the game:

Last edited by Doge; 29-08-2015 at 05:56.
29-08-2015, 06:59   #8
Doge

Fan Art collections compiled by Guerilla Games:

https://www.pinterest.com/guerrillag...-dawn-fan-art/

http://guerrillagames.deviantart.com...o-Dawn-fan-art

My favourites:

29-08-2015, 10:22   #9
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

After the massive disappointment I felt with the Killzone franchise I'm finding it difficult to dig deep and feel excitement for this one.
It could turn out to be little more than a Far Cry 4 clone with sci-fi/dystopian window dressing.
I also recall being regaled with art from Heavenly Sword, in the months before it's release and it turned out to be all mouth and no trousers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-08-2015, 10:58   #10
Doge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
After the massive disappointment I felt with the Killzone franchise I'm finding it difficult to dig deep and feel excitement for this one.
It could turn out to be little more than a Far Cry 4 clone with sci-fi/dystopian window dressing.
I also recall being regaled with art from Heavenly Sword, in the months before it's release and it turned out to be all mouth and no trousers.
I personally look at this as a fresh start for Guerilla and wont be holding any judgements based on a previous franchise that was part of a completely different genre.

What they have accomplished already is astonishing in itself imo.

I can see this being far more engaging than Far Cry which lacks polish, i always felt the environment was too randomly generated and messy in the series, where as the world in horizon seems to have a lot more thought put into it.

My only fear is it being such an ambitious project that the release gets pushed back.

I dont think i've ever been so excited and passionate about an upcoming game before, it just resonates deeply with me.
29-08-2015, 15:23   #11
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I personally look at this as a fresh start for Guerilla and wont be holding any judgements based on a previous franchise that was part of a completely different genre.
Surely a studio's track record is a more substantive guide for setting / moderating expectations than a trailer and a few pieces of concept art? Given the studio has a record of impressive pre-release demos followed by fairly insipid actual games, I can't help but temper expectations accordingly.

Obviously and rightly proper judgement should be reserved til release - studios have indeed gotten 'fresh starts' in the past, perhaps most notably Guerilla's Sony stablemates Naughty Dog. Guerilla making a great game would be surprising but hardly impossible. But yeah I'm with Ciderman here in being unable to commit any significant levels of pre-release excitement given the studio involved here. Not that I'd consider a game whose core appears to consist of blowing up robot dinosaurs a particularly creative or commercially 'risky' proposition anyway

Last edited by johnny_ultimate; 29-08-2015 at 15:26.
30-08-2015, 01:44   #12
Doge

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_ultimate View Post
Surely a studio's track record is a more substantive guide for setting / moderating expectations than a trailer and a few pieces of concept art? Given the studio has a record of impressive pre-release demos followed by fairly insipid actual games, I can't help but temper expectations accordingly.
Yup but I will point out the studio has gone under some restructuing as they have hired ex-Bethesda and CD Projekt Red developers, who have worked on Fallout: New Vegas (the lead writer for example) and The Witcher series.

Thats just one of the reasons i'll give them the benefit od the doubt this time round.

Quote:
Obviously and rightly proper judgement should be reserved til release - studios have indeed gotten 'fresh starts' in the past, perhaps most notably Guerilla's Sony stablemates Naughty Dog. Guerilla making a great game would be surprising but hardly impossible. But yeah I'm with Ciderman here in being unable to commit any significant levels of pre-release excitement given the studio involved here. Not that I'd consider a game whose core appears to consist of blowing up robot dinosaurs a particularly creative or commercially 'risky' proposition anyway
Guerilla have said they came up with 40 pitches for a new IP, and Horizon was the riskiest of the lot, so it was certainly risky for them.

Its never easy for a developer to push into completely different terrority and I have big respect for them being so ambitious in that regard.

I'm strange though as I almost have more respect for someone who tries to do something ambitious and create a different experience than someone who just makes a good game!

It should probably be the other way around but i cant help giving more merit to an effort that tries to break existing conventions, even if its not a great success!
30-08-2015, 12:10   #13
super_furry

Huge promise, looks beautiful and I've high hopes for it but they are more hopes than expectation, given Guerilla's past output.
30-08-2015, 12:58   #14
YouSavedMyLife

I enjoyed all the Killzone games. Fight me
01-09-2015, 05:40   #15
Doge

Interview with senior developer Mark Norris at Gamescom:

Edit: audio begins 1 minute in:

No big reveals or anything but the guy has a very interesting background, worked in the US Airforce, and on previous games like League Of Legends, Dead Rising and DC universe.

He genuinely seems like a hardcore gamer, even came 22nd in the Nintendo World Champions in 1994!

Something i had not previously known was that 3 concept art images for the game were leaked last year in September:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=895571

Last edited by Doge; 01-09-2015 at 05:54.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion