Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It's pretty clever actually. Sony could have put in all the money but this way they're making far more than the retail cost of the game on each Kickstarter sale. 4 backers at 10 grand, 917 @ 500 etc.

Looks a lot better to get that type of money from what might otherwise be €60 for regular or, what? €150 for special edition?

(And all this with 30 days to go.)

don't forget about the people who backed for a level below the ones that get you a copy of the game - they're free money too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yu Suzuki will apparently be on Reddit tomorrow for a Q & A. No details on the time yet, but should be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

cloud493 wrote: »
    Shenmue is a kind of open world RPG-action game. Its also aged badly and is often boring as ****.

Never a dull moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The first Shenmue brings back some great memories of playing it around Xmas on my Dreamcast. I'm going to start playing both games again around winter time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

Q: I have two important questions for you:
    Do you know where I can find some sailors?
    Would you like to try a game of Lucky Hit?

YS: Yes, but not right now.
    Uh, ok.

Made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Alot of bad publicity about the kickstarter campaign now. Various websites are well, moaning.

It's all to do with Sony being a partial backer of the game as well as other undisclosed parties. That it wasn't fully revealed and that the kickstarter was really a marketing tester as well.

Personally I don't see any issue. I always wanted to see shenmue 3 and I hope it gets as much money as it can.

But I wonder if the nay-sayers are people who never played the game nor have any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Jim Sterling having his say on the whole thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Alot of bad publicity about the kickstarter campaign now. Various websites are well, moaning.

It's all to do with Sony being a partial backer of the game as well as other undisclosed parties. That it wasn't fully revealed and that the kickstarter was really a marketing tester as well.

Personally I don't see any issue. I always wanted to see shenmue 3 and I hope it gets as much money as it can.

But I wonder if the nay-sayers are people who never played the game nor have any interest.
    Are Polygon & Kotaku leading the charge? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks like it's going to be a slow slog to 4 mil, if it even gets there. Can't see it getting anywhere near the 5 mil mark now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm amazed that people didn't think sony were going to be funding it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Are Polygon & Kotaku leading the charge? :pac:

didnt they start this **** with Yooka Laylee?
    You'd think they'd have learned their lesson from that.
    Or maybe they just want controversy for clicks and dont care what damage they're doing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

4 million would be amazing - twice the target.

Got to love this optimism in a statement released yesterday by Yu Suzuki.

"Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.
    Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were."

As it is it will be lucky to exceed 4 million at this point imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It will make 4 million no problem, some fans will leave it until the last minute. A long time to go still, it's natural for it to stall a bit now.

5 million could happen, 10 million is a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Corey Marshall back as the voice of Ryo in Shenmue 3.
    Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

Corey is as excited for Shenmue's return as we all are, and to help out, he has magnanimously offered his voice for a special reward. Yes, that's right--get a personal message from Ryo! Do not miss this opportunity to get a very special message from Ryo himself. Maybe one those classic Ryo one-liners?

The $1,000 Reward for the Corey Marshall as Ryo Voice Message will include the $500 Reward. The Ryo Voice Message will also be included in the Rewards for $2,000 and up.

that's really awesome to see, feels like he cares a lot about the series himself

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283532

You can now get PS4 physical copies as a backer reward for just $60+ so if you're at all interested in this there's no reason to hold off now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Campaign is now at $4,219,240 and counting
    Wasnt it at 3.7 million two days ago? pretty impressive so far.

Campaign is now at $4,219,240 and counting
    Wasnt it at 3.7 million two days ago? pretty impressive so far.

It was at 3.7-3.8 for almost a week and hardly moved. It was the PS4 physical copy that got things going again.

Still can't believe they have targets up to 11 million. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Thousands of people were waiting for the PS4 physical release, including me. Very happy to spend the 60 dollars.

Still a bit worried that this will be a small game.

How does everybody feel about Shenmue 3 not being the final game? Yu Suzuki confirmed this last week on the Twitch broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    How does everybody feel about Shenmue 3 not being the final game? Yu Suzuki confirmed this last week on the Twitch broadcast.
    I remember reading in a magazine before the first one was out that it was going to be a five- or six-part release. I wouldn't be surprised if they could stretch a story that far, but whether there'd be a market (or finance) for more games will depend on how this one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So what are the chances of the first two being re-released in some form? I've never played them so the storyline will be lost on me and would discourage me from picking up no.3.

Could we see a Yakuza style recap?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So what are the chances of the first two being re-released in some form? I've never played them so the storyline will be lost on me and would discourage me from picking up no.3.

Could we see a Yakuza style recap?

The Yakuza Style recap was the first stretch goal :)

Everyone wants to see 1 & 2 released in HD and I'm reliably informed the work of porting them was already done years ago, it's just a matter of getting sega to agree to it, which might be a bit of a hurdle these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I really hope they do re-release them. Even though people say the games don't hold up, I just want to check them out and get into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yu Suzuki did a Q&A yesterday on twitter. This was one of the questions:
    Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

And the anwser from Yu:
    Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to be soggy after some time, but I couldn't include it. I wanted to include details like that to make it real.

122941d1350089944t-rumor-playbook-2-coming-2013-25667579.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

He is deadly serious. He would have made Snake Eater's food system look like child's play if he'd the time and resources.

Its entering it's last couple of days so if you want to get those collectables it's your last shot :)

fans are running a quick time event for the last few days and giving out prizes to people who take part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm still on the fence about ordering the physical copy for the PS4. We'll have to wait about 2.5 years or more and what if it turns out to be bad? Anyone have any words to sway me? :D

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about ordering the physical copy for the PS4. We'll have to wait about 2.5 years or more and what if it turns out to be bad? Anyone have any words to sway me? :D

We could be on PS5s again this is actually released. I have a digital copy ordered, I then upgrade to the physical copy and have now dropped back to the €30 offer. If it reached all the milestones for extra content I would have paid 60 but not when I see what is being left out.

Advertisement