Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2019, 18:03   #76
Ardillaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgasmicBaz View Post
Bit of a strange question here, but from time to time whenever i speak to an American I do have to talk slow and pronounce my words more clearly as i have sort of a thick Dublin accent Especially if im going on a rant, at the start of a conversation I would be considerate as they wouldnt understand if i spoke at my normal tempo but half way through conversations i get carried away & forget that im talking to a non-Irish person!

Would the Canadians be the same as the yanks were you would have to speak slow and that yes?
The farther east you go, the less you’ll have to tone it down. On the Southern Shore in Newfoundland, there are still people whose accent has an Irish bent although Americanization is changing that in the younger generations.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 14-02-2019 at 18:08.
Advertisement
14-02-2019, 18:15   #77
Ardillaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwain View Post
There are smaller urban centres, among them Ottawa (despite its status as Canada's capital city), London, Halifax, St. John's and Charlottetown. And although many public sector jobs in the Ottawa area likely require a high level of French proficiency, plenty of private sector ones (at least on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River) don't seem to.
Some people have to go to Toronto for work but to anybody else I would say consider the whole country before you settle anywhere. There’s a subcontinent twice the size of Europe waiting to be explored. If you have a family and kids with activities to get to, Toronto will be a challenge in terms of cost and time. Ottawa, for example, has much cheaper accommodation. Ditto Halifax.
10-07-2019, 01:21   #78
Elite Woad Raider

I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump. The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.

The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke! If you think you'll be making more here you won't be. Any extra income will be spent on groceries! A pack of bacon you find in Lidl for a euro fifty can be 5-6 euros in some shops here.

The women are also very ugly. I haven't seen a stunner since I have landed.

Save yourself the bother and stay home! I didn't realise how modern Ireland was until I got here.
10-07-2019, 05:12   #79
el diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Woad Raider View Post
I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump. The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.

The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke! If you think you'll be making more here you won't be. Any extra income will be spent on groceries! A pack of bacon you find in Lidl for a euro fifty can be 5-6 euros in some shops here.

Save yourself the bother and stay home! I didn't realise how modern Ireland was until I got here.
So which part of BC are you in? And is someone forcing you to stay there?
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 21:26   #80
Gaspode
Woof!

Ok thread closed temporarily due to the high level of trolling by some goons. It will be reopened once cleaned up. Please dont feed the trolls, just report posts.
Advertisement
21-09-2019, 05:15   #81
Jamsiek

Quote:
I've been in British Columbia almost 8 months now and I think it's an absolute dump.
You must he going around with your eyes closed. BC is famous for being one of the most beautiful places on earth. Either that or you’re just trolling.

Quote:
The locals think it's a very modern country but it isn't. I can't speak for the rest of Canada but Ireland and the UK are miles ahead.
Really? A country that survived the 2008 recession and stayed on its feet isn’t modern? Tell that to the thousands of Irish that were forced to emigrate after the Irish economy collapsed. Canada has been very good to the Irish if you are willing to work for it. Maybe you should try.

Quote:
The grocery prices here are almost triple! This is no joke!
Yes it is a joke

Quote:
Ridiculous laughable comment, lots of beautiful women in Canada. Maybe you’re just saying that because you can’t get with any of them.
Now you really must be trolling.

Quote:
Looks like you have serious issues, maybe you’re not suited to travel.
I’ve yet to meet an Irish person in Canada that thinks like you seem to do.

OP don’t believe a word of this bitter angry nonsense. Come over some time and see how you like it and decide then.

Last edited by Jamsiek; 21-09-2019 at 18:52.
21-09-2019, 05:25   #82
Jamsiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancer3001 View Post
Montreal. Guinness is about 9 everywhere. Dollar tip.

I've paid 13 quid in about 7 places for whiskey and coke
You only need to tip if you have a waiter for your table or you have a bar tab. If you just go to the bar yourself and pay every time, you won’t need to tip
21-09-2019, 09:20   #83
Elite Woad Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo View Post
So which part of BC are you in? And is someone forcing you to stay there?
I'm in Victoria, BC.
24-09-2019, 22:31   #84
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancer3001 View Post
Montreal. Guinness is about 9 everywhere. Dollar tip.

I've paid 13 quid in about 7 places for whiskey and coke
Steep. I think in Toronto it was CAD$8 for single rum & coke, CAD$12 for double. However, it was CAD$13 for a "fishbowl" of dark rum, which is basically a treble shot of cheap dark rum and coke in a large jug (more jug than pint).

Check if your local does a whiskey fishbowl. I got told about the fishbowl by a waitress after I became a regular, and found some pubs did it, some didn't.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion