Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2014, 19:54   #16
Patrick Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman71 View Post
People are kinda missing the point here I think. The likes of Derek Ryan are predominately dance bands, who started out playing to dancing crowds. This is by far and away the most successful avenue in the country music scene in Ireland at the moment. Even away from the big bands, plenty of smaller venues run dances every night of the week.

Some of the artists, namely Nathan Carter, have moved to do concerts. For him, this is where the money is. €20/€25 for a 2 hour show per head, vs €15 into a dance for maybe a 3 hour show. Other artists (including Derek Ryan) do concerts too, but not as often.

I think the previous two posters are a little out of the loop in terms of whats popular, and what the people want. believe me, if the people wanted concerts and not the dance shows, the concerts would take over. Supply and demand and all that
I know this is the case. The dance band arena suits this style of music that a lot of acts do. My point is that for blues meets country artists like myself and bluegrass bands, this arena is not suitable. I could sing the country and irish danceband music but at heart I am a blues singer and music is meant to be sincere and from the heart. So, one has to sing what they feel.

I am aware that blues meets country, bluegrass and gospel music all have a massive following too. I am aware of the very good feedback people give when they hear this music often for the first time. Festivals and special events exist and I am always happy to participate and help them out. It is overall more a music for the arts councils, etc. to get behind and is not suited to dancehall venues. With regard to pubs, the right supportive pub can get nice intimate sessions of all types of music going.
Advertisement
06-09-2014, 19:52   #17
In Lonesome Dove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman71 View Post
People are kinda missing the point here I think. The likes of Derek Ryan are predominately dance bands, who started out playing to dancing crowds. This is by far and away the most successful avenue in the country music scene in Ireland at the moment. Even away from the big bands, plenty of smaller venues run dances every night of the week.

Some of the artists, namely Nathan Carter, have moved to do concerts. For him, this is where the money is. €20/€25 for a 2 hour show per head, vs €15 into a dance for maybe a 3 hour show. Other artists (including Derek Ryan) do concerts too, but not as often.

I think the previous two posters are a little out of the loop in terms of whats popular, and what the people want. believe me, if the people wanted concerts and not the dance shows, the concerts would take over. Supply and demand and all that
From the gig I went to last week, I dancing was great and I liked watching but the dancing and jiving scene is not for me. It did look cool and looks like great craic but I don't know to dance. From the few who came out with me, they have the same opinon. They and me like the music from Derek Ryan but the dancing isn't for us and we'd be very slow returning to seeing him again in a hotel and dancehall setting.

Nathan Carter probably has the good common sense to realise this too, that the jives doesn't appeal to all his fans. He mixed things up a bit and is including more concerts in his schedule and he's doing brillantly too.
06-09-2014, 22:29   #18
JP Liz V1

Derek Ryan's new album is No. 1 in the Irish album charts

My mam says drunk young ones are ruining dances now
Thanks from:
07-09-2014, 18:41   #19
In Lonesome Dove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
Derek Ryan's new album is No. 1 in the Irish album charts

My mam says drunk young ones are ruining dances now
I would have contributed to that album sale

Your mam sounds cool and great craic and she's dead right too. Of what I saw last week, the dancing was just a skill. There was some brillant footwork and I wish I knew how. Checking out Derek Ryan's stuff on internet, there was a youtube clip from somewhere about the country in a hall and it looked like a drunken disco.
05-07-2016, 13:44   #20
Willo2011

Hi folks

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question but here goes... my Dad is looking for an album / CD by Pat Keane called The Songs I Like to Sing. The only mention I can find of it on the web is a posting on the Farmers Journal but it doesn't say where you can get it.

Could any of you give me some advice on where I could get this in Dublin? I've tried a few HMVs but they don't have it.

Thanks

Will
Advertisement
09-07-2016, 23:39   #21
JP Liz V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willo2011 View Post
Hi folks

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question but here goes... my Dad is looking for an album / CD by Pat Keane called The Songs I Like to Sing. The only mention I can find of it on the web is a posting on the Farmers Journal but it doesn't say where you can get it.

Could any of you give me some advice on where I could get this in Dublin? I've tried a few HMVs but they don't have it.

Thanks

Will
Maybe try Sharpe Music http://www.sharpemusicireland.com/
Thanks from:
13-04-2017, 00:14   #22
JP Liz V1

Why are all of them covering Ed Sheeran's songs
31-08-2018, 12:27   #23
Wichita Lineman

Went to a Country Music extravaganza in Moate last night. It was a joint fundraiser between the GAA & Golf Clubs in the town and it was well attended and really good.

Local legend Ray Lynam along with Philomena Begley, Simon Casey, TR Dallas, Carmel Sheerin and Matt Leavy all backed by The Sheerin Family Band put on a great show and everyone enjoyed it. Very entertaining

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion