Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-07-2009, 15:57   #31
Damian Duffy

Reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, just over half way and loving it!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2009, 15:03   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyTheTerrible View Post
No not finished yet but I reckon it'll be done by the end of the weekend. I'll let you know.

The one gripe I have is that he seems to be making a huge deal about people's supposed fear of the second coming linked to the year 1000 without actually providing any evidence (like saying "X's rampaging would surely have put people in mind of the Revelation of St john"), like as if his editor said he needed to have a point to looking at that period in history.
While there certainly was a persistent fear that a second coming was going to happen in 1000 A.D., I get the feeling that Holland tries to put himself in the mind of a medieval peasant and imagine what it 'must have been like'... Which is all rather disconcerting.
Thanks from:
18-07-2009, 21:39   #33
Quality

I are reading

Purfume by patrick Suskind!!

Very enjoyable!
18-07-2009, 23:11   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
I are reading

Very enjoyable!
Are you OK?
18-07-2009, 23:27   #35
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
Are you OK?

Have American Psycho lined up next...

Its a phase!!
Advertisement
20-07-2009, 10:04   #36

Quote:
I are reading

Very enjoyable!
I really liked that book! I loved the imagery, I found it really easy to picture the smells and sights. Great (if a little gruesome at times). And MUCH better than the film.
Thanks from:
20-07-2009, 11:57   #37
LightningBolt

Crime and Punishment at the moment.
22-07-2009, 13:55   #38
bluto63

Send a message via MSN to bluto63
Halfway through Jack Kerouac - On The Road. Loving it so far
23-07-2009, 20:37   #39

I have to say I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany....I liked it's edgeiness if there's such a word.

Last edited by JamesTaylorfan; 23-07-2009 at 20:44.
Advertisement
23-07-2009, 20:41   #40

I'm halfway through The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins........really thought provoking.
Thanks from:
23-07-2009, 20:43   #41

I often wondered if it would be kinda dated by now.Maybe I'll give it a go so.
24-07-2009, 10:07   #42
fisgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink View Post
Over 1/2 way through The Brief & Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

It's absolutely brilliant. Very funny, heartwarming but also harrowing.
Anyone who is/was a bit of nerdy geek would love this. It's such a mixed bag as you follow different characters in the US & in Dominican Republic over different time periods. There's tons of references to Lord of The Rings as a symbol of the oppression Dominican Republic people went through under their dictator Trujillio. There's a lot of Spanish threaded through & I don't have a clue what some of it means but it fits & adds to the atmosphere.
I'm really enjoying it. Highly recommended
I'm not sure if we're supposed to comment on what people are reading in this thread, but here goes, anyway.....
Was really disappointed in this, (Oscar Wao), was expecting more. The voice he uses is funny, but the humour doesn't last, and the whole thing is quite depressing, there is a sense of inevitable doom about the whole novel. There really is a lot of Spanish in it, untranslated, and I can actually read Spanish fairly well, but for someone who can't I imagine it would detract from the flow, seems to be aimed at an American Latino reader. It has its moments, but a better treatment of the Trujillo regime is in Mario Vargas Llosa's The Feast of the Goat, stunning book.

To follow the thread, I'm reading Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence, another disappointment. I think he's stopped writing books about real things, he just gets lost in his fantastical little literary world, playing games and messing around with magical realism without writing characters you could actually care about.

Wow, sorry for the negativity, must come back with something i actually liked later...
26-07-2009, 01:10   #43
Ann22

Quote:
I are reading

Very enjoyable!
Isn't that the film 'Perfume-the story of a murderer' came from? I really enjoyed that film. Far fetched I know but I was glued to it. I'm reading 'Dracula' at the moment for the 3rd time. Just finished 'To see you again' by Betty Schimmel...a Holocaust survivor's story, very good.
26-07-2009, 01:33   #44

The Celts - A History by, Peter Berresford Ellis (of Sister Fidelma fame). Great book by a great scholar. PBE demolishes some current myths (there were no such thing as Celts) and some old ones (the Celts were illiterate) is the opening pages of the book, it only gets better from there. Well worth a red for anyone interested in such history.
26-07-2009, 17:13   #45
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann22 View Post
Isn't that the film 'Perfume-the story of a murderer' came from? I really enjoyed that film. Far fetched I know but I was glued to it. I'm reading 'Dracula' at the moment for the 3rd time. Just finished 'To see you again' by Betty Schimmel...a Holocaust survivor's story, very good.

Yes it is a film.

I haven't seen the film, but I really enjoyed the book!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion