Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2007, 23:33   #61

Got the hated phone call today - Planning refused again. Two reasons. Ring Architect who says 'That's great, down to two - we can win this, we can' Its not his **ckin life.

Fummmmmmm

Metal
Advertisement
08-05-2007, 21:34   #62
dolanbaker

Self-build update, laid the last floor tile today & will grout the last section of tiling tomorrow. (at last )

Moving in on Friday..... YEEHAAH!!!

Not finished yet, but, at least we're IN!
08-05-2007, 21:35   #63
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker
Self-build update, laid the last floor tile today & will grout the last section of tiling tomorrow. (at last )

And now, the really annoying work begins.
08-05-2007, 23:01   #64
muffler

Quote:

Do you want my postal address or will a PM do for the invite
09-05-2007, 12:40   #65
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashey
And now, the really annoying work begins.
I know the list is growing as we speak...
Advertisement
09-05-2007, 12:44   #66
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler
Do you want my postal address or will a PM do for the invite
The first "do" in the house will be our son's eighth birthday party, how do you fancy a go on the bouncy castle.

sure if I invited all the builders to the party it would be a quiet affair..
09-05-2007, 13:52   #67
muffler

Quote:
how do you fancy a go on the bouncy castle.
How big and strong is it?

The best of luck to you and yours in your new home.
21-05-2007, 08:30   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysoutheast
just about to start plastering stages

4500 sq.ft. two storey in the rainy south east

build route main contractor for shell, 2nd fix and finish directly contracted

always happy to share success stories (we've had a few) and mistakes (a couple!)

SSE
Waiting on some more prices from building contractors re building a 2800 sq ft house in the west.Undecided whether to go total build or shell?Would welcome any advice.if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to have the shell built as opposed to the total house?The prices we'e gotten so far are higher than expexted for total build.
21-05-2007, 08:47   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosperous Dave
Our place is outside Prosperous in Co. Kildare will be 2,600 sq ft or so when its finished. We put in what we wanted (even though it stretched the funds to breaking point!!), i.e.

a large sitting room (26ft * 16ft) for entertaining

a large kitchen, come diner, come sitting/tv/multifuel stove area (26ft * 24ft)

5 bedrooms, (2 ensuite) with walk in wardrobes

A large family bathroom with separate bath and shower

A playroom (16ft * 16ft) for the kids where they can do what they please as we can lock the door and ignore the mess until it needs a real clean up. As they get older, it'll be their space for entertaining friends.

We had insulation put into the subfloor, the walls and roof space above what is specified in the building regulations. This is money well spent as we'll recoup the cost in time in money saved on heating bills.

The downside for all prospective self builders is to take the timeline given by your builder and to double it. We were told it would take 4 1/2 months to do our house (I estimated 6 myself) but it'll be nearer 9 months by the time its finished. Its been stated above by previous posters, but the arrogance of the builder, and his sub contractors is breath taking. When you take into account that you are paying these people hundreds of thousands of euro and they treat you with barely concealed contempt, then your own temper can soon reach breaking point, like mine did recently. My wife thought I'd annoy the builder so much when I let loose at him, that he'd walk away but thankfully it had the opposite effect and he got stuck in and things are progressing again. Still I reckon it'll be April before its finished
Hi Prosperous Dave. You don't say what type of insulation you went for and why?We're about to start our 2800 sq ft build in the west. I was also curious as to what type of heating you went for and if you're happy with the choice?
Advertisement
21-05-2007, 09:35   #70
yop

What do u mean shell build?
21-05-2007, 09:57   #71
whitelightrider

Got Planning permission on Saturday. Wait for 4 weeks, I think, for C3 and any objections before starting the build. 2300 sq ft house in the West.
24-05-2007, 15:59   #72

Almost 4 months into build. Blockwork complete, roof on, door and windows in, first fix electrics done, cavities pumped with insulation, plastering almost done outside. Happy enough with progress so far!! So glad we went with contractor. No hassle so far in the build, just lots of decisions to be made.
24-05-2007, 16:03   #73
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA, ZTest
Why did you pump the cavities?
29-05-2007, 22:00   #74

We got the quote in for the poroton blocks for our 100M2 extension and it's way beyond our budget, so we are going for the standard blockbuild.

We found already a builder who was recommended to us by several people and he came with a very nice price. He will do all the groundwork, foundation, relocate the manhole for the septictank, will break through the old stone wall for the pipes for the bathroom, and he will build up to rooflevel. Insulation with Kingspan or Quin Therm walls and flooring, damp proof, radon barrier and sump.

The only two things that we will subcontract are placing the windows, as this was altready included in the price from our window supplier, and plastering.

We just have helped a friend of ours placing his roof and we know now that we can do that ourself.

We hope to get started next month.

Up date will follow.
04-06-2007, 13:51   #75

ICF Build - Southeast

Currently at first floor level 3100 sqft part basement ICF. Shell construction deal with ICF builders, includes roof felted & battened. They will also fit windows. So far so good, no decision re. heating having researched heat pumps, wood pellet boilers, not convinced so far. Probably Wood Pellet /UFH with solar for hot water. Would love wind powered UFH, but can't find a supplier. have organised own plumber/electrician, need to find a plasterer/company familiar with ICF.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion