Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What irked me was he wasn't even home when i gave him the first pizza. So you were out and about in the apocalypse but still wanted someone else to get your pizza ya bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Anyone any idea why Sam periodically says “wonder if anyone’s watching?”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

goon_magee wrote: »
    It can go on your back but like you I usually just bunged it in a vehicle as well to save messing around in menus to make sure its flat. Floating carriers are useful as well for stuff that needs to stay flat.

Still waiting on those. Happy enough with my level three power legs for the moment :D

Chapter 8 and i just found that pressing up on the d pad brings up your accessory menu, quickly equip skeletons, boots, hats, glasses, etc. Ffs.

Also decided to take on my first BT Catcher outside of a boss fight after being dragged into tar. Turns out there were 2 of the bastards. Ran out of AR bullets and bloodbags fairly quick and had to rely on ghosts to provide me with more. Long battle but bested both of them, no more BT's and over 2000 chiral crystals. Highly satisfying victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    no more BT's and over 2000 chiral crystals. Highly satisfying victory.
    Can you permanently clear areas of BT's? or will they eventually respawn? Nothing more annoying than driving a vehicle when you hit a pocket of ghosts and you have to ditch your ride.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Can you permanently clear areas of BT's? or will they eventually respawn? Nothing more annoying than driving a vehicle when you hit a pocket of ghosts and you have to ditch your ride.

I'm fairly sure when you kill a catcher (big BT creature) it clears the area permanently but I'm not 100% sure on it.

Do i need to be at a certain location to fabricate a vehicle? I seem to only get an option for the floating carrier even though i had trike and truck options before.

I'm fairly sure when you kill a catcher (big BT creature) it clears the area permanently but I'm not 100% sure on it.

Do i need to be at a certain location to fabricate a vehicle? I seem to only get an option for the floating carrier even though i had trike and truck options before.
    There needs to be sufficient materials to fabricate one, metals, resins etc. I cleaned out every distribution centre and mule camp of metals and ceramics last night finishing as many roads as possible. I've linked lake knot and south knot city and built a road out past the craftsman to the incinerator. Time to finish chapter five now I think.

There needs to be sufficient materials to fabricate one, metals, resins etc. I cleaned out every distribution centre and mule camp of metals and ceramics last night finishing as many roads as possible. I've linked lake knot and south knot city and built a road out past the craftsman to the incinerator. Time to finish chapter five now I think.

The options are usually there for the vehicles but greyed out if i don't have the materials. Last few times i checked though, the vehicles are completely missing from the vehicle fabrication tab.

What irked me was he wasn't even home when i gave him the first pizza. So you were out and about in the apocalypse but still wanted someone else to get your pizza ya bollox.

That's one thing that annoys me when you deliver stuff. None of the bastards can be bothered to actually open the door and say hello in person, just talk to their hologram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Chapter 5 spoiler
    The one time you actually meet someone in person it's a Japanese model that Kojima likes who can barely speak English, let alone act. Awful. Can't believe that was one of the main quests and not optional

• Advertisement

Chapter 9
    what an absolute pain in the hole. Need to come back to it tomorrow with a fresher, more patient head.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So last night I was over in my friend's place and he was playing this (badly). He kept trying to make a truck Dukes of Hazzard over very large ravines on the map and falling in, then we'd get this:
    giphy.gif?cid=790b761118293aa783cf39e66f4687756e04c8ae653279b8&rid=giphy.gif

When he'd eventually get out, he just kept crashing into literally every single rock on the map. It was distressing to watch cause I couldn't figure out if it was just the fact that he's really, really bad at the driving or if the driving mechanics are really, really bad...

Whilst I was there, he wrapped up the end of Chapter 3 which was certainly a big lump of "plot" but I was missing some context for a lot of it.

Still, I can't help but find myself intrigued by the game and will almost certainly pick it up in a sale in the future.

That's something i love, even the bike gets stuck so much in rocks. It makes you really appreciate when you find or build a road. If the driving over rough terrain was easy, no one would build roads, great balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah you're not really supposed to Skyrim your way through this :)

I try to explain this game as a walking sim to people. Which is an unfair way to describe it but if you think of it like that you get a better picture of what the game expects you to do.

(Someone on Kotaku called it the Gran Turismo of walking simulators :pac:)

If there is rocky terrain, you take it slow. Or you build infrastructure around it. Trying to rush through a game like this would be sheer misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I actually picked this up over the weekend. Just played over an hour. Still on Chapter 1.
    bringing my mother to the incinerator and she was pretty banged up by the time I got there. Stupid me set up two waypoints, one of which was at the top of the first rocky mountain you see after you get the assignment. Kept falling.

I'm still not sure if this will be for me but I am intrigued. Game looks amazing and the soundtrack is fantastic. First BT encounter was intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've seen reviews complain about the early BT encounters when you have no weapons but now I'm later in the game I think it was a great idea. I have weapons now to defend myself but the sense of dread from the early encounters has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

fixXxer wrote: »
    I've seen reviews complain about the early BT encounters when you have no weapons but now I'm later in the game I think it was a great idea. I have weapons now to defend myself but the sense of dread from the early encounters has stuck with me.

My only complaint so far is that first time I encountered them in Chapter 1, I could see them when I hit R1. The next time though
    I couldn't see them at all. Shoulder thing was going like the clappers but couldn't see them when I hit R1. Don't know if that's because BB was throwing a (presumably-scripted) hissy-fit. The BTs almost grabbed me at the end but I managed to break free and run for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Penn wrote: »
    My only complaint so far is that first time I encountered them in Chapter 1, I could see them when I hit R1. The next time though
    I couldn't see them at all. Shoulder thing was going like the clappers but couldn't see them when I hit R1. Don't know if that's because BB was throwing a (presumably-scripted) hissy-fit. The BTs almost grabbed me at the end but I managed to break free and run for it.
    You have to stand still to see them

Penn wrote: »
    were you moving? you have to be stationary to see them

Or BB gets too stressed and gets that ...autoxema thing. You can't see BT's when BB has that and needs rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Possibly was moving alright, can't say for sure. Will try that next time anyway. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I started up the new Star Wars game last night and my god was the movement of the main character jarring after spending 60 odd hours lugging packages across America.

The movement isn't bad as such, but it all feels extremely floaty and artificial or something compared to the natural, weighty movement of Sam in Death Stranding. It also doesn't feel right being able to see my character in full, I'm too used to seeing nothing only Sam's legs protruding from the bottom of a ridiculously stacked pile of boxes!

I started up the new Star Wars game last night and my god was the movement of the main character jarring after spending 60 odd hours lugging packages across America.

The movement isn't bad as such, but it all feels extremely floaty and artificial or something compared to the natural, weighty movement of Sam in Death Stranding. It also doesn't feel right being able to see my character in full, I'm too used to seeing nothing only Sam's legs protruding from the bottom of a ridiculously stacked pile of boxes!

Whatever about the beautiful landscapes and feel of the grass, rocks, snow, etc under your feet, i felt the movement mechanics also really added to chapter 9, when a simple trek through
    a destroyed city
    FELT like i was actually traversing a post apocalyptic setting. A lot of other games might look like this with
    broken buildings and rubble
    but this was a new level of immersion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I'm not getting anywhere near the time I'd like to play this cause of work but what time I have had with the game I've really enjoyed.

Something in Chapter 3 there that's annoyed me though:
    got handed a package at Lake Knot City by this shifty guy that was reeeeeally obviously Higgs or at the very least it was Troy Baker voicing some random NPC but just judging by how shifty he was acting, I figured it was Higgs.

Got to the distro centre near Lake Knot City and a cutscene shows me the big reveal that (shock horror) the shifty guy was in fact Higgs. I mean if you're going to try and pull one over on us could you not a) have the guy act a little less shifty, I mean it was downright cartoonish or b) maybe the person pulling the ruse shouldn't be the guy with the most recognisable voice in gaming by virtue of the fact that he's in every single game these days.

I think I just need to let stuff slide and enjoy stuff more :pac:

I just finished chapter 9 which is Higgs heavy and i gotta say, i think this is one of Troy's best pieces of work. Steals every scene. True, that bit that you're on about was a bit ott but even if you read the description of the cargo, it's really not trying to hide anything. Also, there's plenty of more cartoonish/4th wall breakage to come :)

I checked earlier and I'm at 35 hours starting chapter 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah twas a bit ott for me but not a massive deal, I'm just a grump!

I do like Higgs as a villain, loved his introduction scene. I feel like he's what Ocelot should have been like in Phantom Pain. Shows me that Troy Baker wasn't the reason for Ocelot being a bit crap, it was the lack of well written characters in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

fixXxer wrote: »

I mean, I still sometimes forget to use any weapons when I come across BTs and still have a habit of holding my breath when I walk by. Then when I do remember, I can't be bothered. So I just run, let them grab me, then get out of the black puddle and keep going. Sometimes the BTs just become a massive nuisance, especially when I'm trying to repair a road in a BT area (that 10-second loading screen gets old, fast!)

Chapter 6
    When BB is not by your side the whole chapter, though.......................

I have a horrible habit of resting my middle fingers on both triggers no matter what I play because of this game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I just finished chapter 9 which is Higgs heavy and i gotta say, i think this is one of Troy's best pieces of work. Steals every scene. True, that bit that you're on about was a bit ott but even if you read the description of the cargo, it's really not trying to hide anything. Also, there's plenty of more cartoonish/4th wall breakage to come :)

I checked earlier and I'm at 35 hours starting chapter 10.

He really does put in a great performance, though for me his work as Joel in TLoU is still to be topped.

He was actually really good as Joker in Arkham Origins as well though that often gets overlooked as a performance purely because Origins is the black sheep of the series.

Yeah twas a bit ott for me but not a massive deal, I'm just a grump!

I do like Higgs as a villain, loved his introduction scene. I feel like he's what Ocelot should have been like in Phantom Pain. Shows me that Troy Baker wasn't the reason for Ocelot being a bit crap, it was the lack of well written characters in the game.
    The scene with
    Higgs and Fragile where he forces her to run into the timefall
    was one of my favourite scenes in the game

• Advertisement

Finished chapter 9 and look to be running through chap 10. Looks like it gives you a good opportunity to do whatever standard orders you want but I'm sticking to the main story. The dialogue at the end of chap 9 was equally brilliant and stupid
    Mario and Princess Beaches
    :pac:

I read the email from the pizza guy, Jesus Christ....

I love all these characters, i just wish i had more time to sit down and play through to the very end.

I love you days gone, but this might actually top it as GOTY.

PS. I played the new Star wars game for 10 minutes today. I instantly felt like i was playing a game (as stupid as that sounds) issuing simple commands on a joypad to make the little character on my screen move forward. It's very hard to explain how good DS feels and I think it might have ruined movement mechanics in games for me.

Advertisement