Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fight club

Absolutely loved it when it was released but decided to switch it on (amazon prime Ireland). It’s actually better then I remembered. Like I mean 9 or 10 out of 10 better. It’s so f**king good, I feel like I’m watching it for the first time!

Yeh, 'Fight Club' is just one of those films that gets better and better every time you sit down to it.

I remember seeing it for the first time and I went in thinking it was just some silly film about idiots bonding by having scraps in basements. :rolleyes:

How wrong was I.

Of course, it is a silly story, but it's an excellent one and if you don't know what it is, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Official secrets

Saw this tonght and thought it was a bit meh. Lots of people shouting at each other, tension trying to be drained out of scenes that had no tension in the first place. The subject matter is an SJWs dream and people who love to protest about everything will probably really like it. It just seemed forced or something though. Like I was always aware that I was watching keira knightley and everyone else, acting. Not once was I lost in the story because it all seemed much ado about nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Gemini

5/10

It was a strange experience watching this film in that it started of excellently and seemed to be ramping itself up for something major to happen and for a great thriller to take off. Then it was like a third of the way in there was a switch of Directors/writers and the film nose dived into a really unrealistic and annoying hipsterish piece of pants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Arachnophobia (1990)

Jaws with spiders, and like its inspiration some of the puppetry work hasn't aged too well; however, with a predominant reliance of real spiders, it ensured & maintained some degree of creepiness in its portrayal of killer spiders descending upon a Small Town America stereotype. The script remains achingly generic, hitting all the expected beats of a story about a small town under siege from the unknown, but still executed with a flourish and confidence that forgave those "one day 'til retirement" moments. Jeff Daniels was a great leading man, ably handling the dry, knowing (but not meta) humour while shouldering the lead status.  Spielberg was merely an executive producer here, but director Frank Marhsall seemed to be channeling a bit of Spielberg in places, aiming for that balance of wonder & terror often seen in films like the aforementioned Jaws, or Jurassic Park. This is arguably a forgotten, underrated little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"The Quiller Memorandum" (1966) on YouTube
    Cold War spy thriller set in West Germany with an excellent cast including George Segal, Alec Guinness and Max von Sydow. Slow moving but satisfying. 8/10

"The Salzburg Connection" (1972) on YouTube

Another Cold War movie, this time set in Austria but despite the best efforts of Barry Newman and Anna Karina it never really gets going. 4/10

• Advertisement

Luce

9/10

This is a great drama/thriller. The Leads are phenomenally acted. It deals with themes like the american racial divide/identity politics but doesn't come across as preachy or partisan and instead has some very nuanced and fresh perspectives to offer. The dialogue is on point. The tension is subtly crafted. There is lots of purposeful ambiguity. I saw it days ago but am still mulling it over in my head trying to decide what really happened and who really was who they said they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Awakenings – 9/10

Robin Williams plays Dr Sayer who is based on real life Dr Oliver Sacks who trialled an experimental drug on victims of an encephalitis epidemic back in the late 1960’s. This epidemic left many patients in a catatonic state, entombed within their own bodies. Amongst the many bonds that Dr Sayer forms with his patients, his friendship with Leonard Lowe (Robert De Niro) is the most important.

This is a beautiful and life affirming film that is expertly directed by Penny Marshall. She got Tom Hanks an Oscar nomination in her previous film Big and she succeeds in getting another for De Niro here. It turns out that De Niro’s performance in Goodfellas wasn’t even his best of that year. I looked up the 1991 Oscars to see who the competition was, and it really shows how far standards have fallen. Oscar Winners included; Kevin Costner – Dances with Wolves, Kathy Bates – Misery, Joe Pesci – Goodfellas and Whoopi Goldberg – Ghost. Recent years pale in comparison.

My only real criticism is that when it reached the halfway point, there were a few scenes which piled on the sentimentality a little too thick. Although admittedly it does makes perfect sense given how troubling the film becomes in its final act. You know a film has served its purpose when you find yourself compelled to research the real-life events afterwards. This film will fill your heart full of hope and then break it in half. A hauntingly profound film and one of Robin William’s finest roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, 'Fight Club' is just one of those films that gets better and better every time you sit down to it.

I remember seeing it for the first time and I went in thinking it was just some silly film about idiots bonding by having scraps in basements. :rolleyes:

How wrong was I.

Of course, it is a silly story, but it's an excellent one and if you don't know what it is, all the better.

I was listening to Ed Norton on Marc Marons podcast and he was saying him and Pitt were at the first public show full of critics , many who booed and hated it. They both said “this is going to be the best movie we will ever be in”. He said they knew that the movie was perfect for its target audience and would speak to them in a way that the critics wouldn’t get and they were spot on.

Mutiny on the Bounty 1962 having loved the Anthony Hopkins version, and listening to Edward Norton talk about Brando recently decided to watch this. Really fantastic movie. I've shied away from a lot of stuff that early in the last few years because of the forced performing seal style of acting that was prominent in the early days, but theres none of it in this. Brando is so smooth and would normally be out of place for a ship officer, but blends perfectly with the gruff Richard Harris, and contrasts greatly with the ruthless Trevor Howard who is ships captain. 3 Hours flew by, and had an old school Intermission in there too!

A Dry White Season A very powerful film about apartheid in South Africa with Donald Sutherland who plays a school teacher who's gardner's son gets in trouble with the police. At first Sutherland can't or isn't really bothered to help but then is compelled to by the injustice of it all. Its amazing how absolutely ruthless the police were in South Africa back then. Enjoyable film - and Brando makes a great appearance as Sutherlands lawyer

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was listening to Ed Norton on Marc Marons podcast and he was saying him and Pitt were at the first public show full of critics , many who booed and hated it. They both said “this is going to be the best movie we will ever be in”. He said they knew that the movie was perfect for its target audience and would speak to them in a way that the critics wouldn’t get and they were spot on.

Yeh, it's one of those pictures that can rub some people up the wrong way. Never met anybody in real life that didn't like it though. Although I think the critical reaction may have had something to do with how the film was marketing by the film makers and the studio.

It's a completely ridiculous yarn, of course, but I don't think anyone is supposed to take it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lake of Fire (2006)

Documentary examining the debate around abortion in the United States.

Riveting and unrelenting. Gives time to both sides of the debate, plus those intellectuals who look at it with a bit more detachment. As well as that, shows the realities surrounding abortion, so if you're squeamish or easily upset, this is probably not for you. Otherwise, thoroughly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Hold The Dark

Jeremy Saulnier's fourth film is very ominous and mysterious right from the start. Jeffrey Wright's author and wolf expert is lured to a remote Alaska village to trap and kill a wolf that supposedly killed a local boy but nothing is quite as it seems.

The film has a nasty streak running through it. Just like Green Room people die unexpectedly and often. It's meant to be shocking but I felt a little cheated at the nihilism of it all.

I hope Saulnier can up his game next time and not rely on shock value too much because his films are impressive. Dark and grim but still very watchable.

The Peanut Butter Falcon

A heart warming , kind of farcical , possibly over sentimental tale. A young man with Downs Syndrome has dreams of becoming a professional wrestler teams up with a troubled outlaw running from his past.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

otnomart wrote: »

As a wild eyed young man, I loved the book. Read it again as a not so wild eyed, slightly older man and thought it was only OK.

Still, looks interesting. Where did you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The Nightingale (2018)

A period thriller set in Tasmania Australia, where a young Irish convict who's trying to build a life for herself, ends up seeking revenge for a terrible act of violence committed against her family. It stars Irish actress Aisling Franciosi in the lead role as Clare Carroll.

Probably the most darkest, disturbing movie I have ever seen. Think "The wind that shakes the barley" but a mssive increase in the brutality factor.
    Definetly not for the faint of heart, but if you can get past all that, I'd still recommend.

8/10

Only You,

A Drama about a couple navigating the challenges of a significant age gap in their relationship and what that means for both with biological clocks ticking.

Not usually the kind of thing I'd watch but it wasn't hammy or unrealistic , the lead actors were spot on and the dialogue was never crap or cliche ridden at all.

thumbs up

8/10

The King

It's on Netflix. I thought it was great. A bit slow paced in places for some maybe. It's a shame they didn't have a game of thrones size budget for the battles though. The Lead guy is great. The attention to detail for that Era was spot on.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

The King

It's on Netflix. I thought it was great. A bit slow paced in places for some maybe. It's a shame they didn't have a game of thrones size budget for the battles though. The Lead guy is great. The attention to detail for that Era was spot on.

8/10

I was pleasantly surprised by this too. At some point I just said "****, this is actually pretty good!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Last Christmas at the cinema yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Play Misty For Me - Clint Eastwood plays the same character in every film. Works though, as does his hair and body. Plays a disc jock, bangs a crazy bitch called Evelyn. Craziness ensues.

Gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid, her manic screaming still tortures me to his day, and this was shot in the early 70's.

Lesson is, all women called Evelyn are psychos, keep it in your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Last Christmas

This is getting absolutley slated by the critics. Rolling stone in particular gave it possibly the worst(and funniest) review Ive seen in a while. So I went in with extremely low expectations......and I actually loved it. Its everything the critics are saying it is: Unrealistic dialogue, over acting(take a bow Emilla clarke) predictible. But it does have one thing in its favor and that is its heart is in the right place. I know some would argue that this isnt enough, and I get that but I just found it genuine despite its faults. I think as a consequence of the bad reviews that it wont do well. But I also believe that in a while, maybe one or two years, this will start to develop an audience and will in time be well liked or even loved by the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I really enjoyed it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Luce

9/10

This is a great drama/thriller. The Leads are phenomenally acted. It deals with themes like the american racial divide/identity politics but doesn't come across as preachy or partisan and instead has some very nuanced and fresh perspectives to offer. The dialogue is on point. The tension is subtly crafted. There is lots of purposeful ambiguity. I saw it days ago but am still mulling it over in my head trying to decide what really happened and who really was who they said they were.

Agree with the above. Very good thought provoking film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The Good Liar

I thought the concept of the plot twist was rather obvious, but there were enough details to keep this interesting, although the screenplay isn't the films strongest attribute - not sure if it is just bad writing or the book that it is based on.
    Plus you have the 2 leads to add some more credibility to the film - easy roles for both of them. I read that it is the first time that the 2 of them star together in a film, and I would have hoped for something more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Magic Mike – 2.5/10

A badly made, ugly looking, poorly shot film with no story. The only reason this exists is to give horny girls soggy knickers. I can only imagine the stench the cinema staff had to endure after every screening.

If you tend to want more from cinema than just c*cks, t*ts and man nipples flapping around, you should avoid this. It isn’t even fun in a tacky, camp way. Matthew McConaughey is the only redeeming element of this film. He somehow manages to be laugh out loud funny in this insipid, lurid, dog sh*t film.

I thought Steven Soderbergh was meant to be a film director?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Monos - a moody, character focused story about a bunch of child soldiers in an unspecified South American country, I thought this was really good. The core cast is very strong despite AFAIK being unknowns, the script balances making them recognisably individual without making them too blandly archetypal, and the soundtrack from Mica Levi (Under The Skin) is fantastic, setting a distinct mood and introducing an otherworldliness at times that reminds you of just how far from normal lives these kids are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gemini

It starts well enough and the first act is what you've been sold: high octane adventure with Will Smith versus an uncanny valley version of his younger self. The second and third acts, however, are utter garbage full of exposition laden soliloquies with occasional bursts of action. Absolutely awful. 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

feast of the seven fishes

gentle and sweet Xmas comedy based in the Italian community of philly. All based around a single meal and the meal scenes are great.

Endearing characters and very basic story but works pretty well.

• Advertisement

'Wendy and Lucy'

Or...Michelle Williams looks for her mutt. A slowish mover, but not boring one, by independent film maker Kelly Reichardt, sees a young woman, Wendy, drift into a one horse Oregon town on her way to Alaska. Her car breaks down and she is stranded, because she doesn't have the money to get it fixed. Wendy is travelling with her dog Lucy (the director's own dog), but they get separated and Wendy has to look for her, before she can move on.

Reichardt's story dumps us into Wendy's life without telling us much about her. We never find out why she's on her way to Alaska, or what she hopes to do when she gets there, besides find work. She's obviously not had the best of times, though, and while not exactly a maudlin character, she does come across as a bit downbeat. This is made all the worse when her dog, Lucy, parts company with her as the dog appears to be her only real companion in life.

Williams puts in a very convincing shift here as Wendy and as an actress I never seemed to have much regard for, as I still think of her as part of the 'Dawson's Creek' alumni, she was pleasantly surprising. There's a danger that, as a viewer, one can feel a little cold toward the main character because we are dropped into a slice of life without knowing anything about her and not finding out much by the end of the film, but Williams manages to make Wendy a genuine person and one that we can sympathise with.

Reichardt's direction is fine, if it seems a little casual and aloof. But the simple story doesn't require much flare and it keeps the interest over its 80 minute run time.

9/10

'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2'

Tobe Hooper's sequel to the excellent 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' misses all of the beats that made the 1974 film so great. Why Hooper decided to play the sequel almost exclusively for laughs, when the original was a pure horror movie, is quite the mystery and it never once sits comfortably. It can be said that the Sawyer family possessed some darkly humorous attributes in the first film and Hooper himself has always said that he wanted some laughs in there, but it never went into overtly camp territory like it does here. Thusly, the macabre fascination of Leatherface's clan is completely diluted and they never capture the absurd horror that they embodied in the 70's.

The protagonists this time out are Vanita "Stretch" Brock (Caroline Williams), a late night Texan radio DJ and Boude "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper), a Texas Ranger who is investigating the Sawyer family. They eventually do battle with Leatherface and his kin who are holed up in an abandoned theme park, where they have built an elaborate underground hideaway.

While the first half of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2' feels relatively different, the second half repeats much of the first film, even down to letting grandpa (who is surprisingly still alive) try and kill the heroine by belting her with a hammer, despite him making a mess of it in 1974. Caroline Williams, like Marilyn Burns, spends much of the time screaming her head off too. But, unlike her predecessor, her character "Stretch" eventually fights back.

While the original film was almost completely bloodless, the sequel up's the gore content thanks to the involvement of the great make up effects artist Tom Savini. But, unfortunately, it's just not enough to offset the poor story and the lacklustre atmosphere that is ruined by the over all comedic tone. But I suppose that Hooper figured that he'd already made one of the greatest horror films of all time, so he set out to do something different with its sequel. But in the end the result was a very bad misfire.

'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2' wasn't very well received at the time of its release in 1987 and was outright rejected by some fans of the original, because of its comedic value. But, it has since gone on to develop a cult following of its own, like most of these movies do. It will have a certain appeal for people who like black comedies, I suppose. But if someone is a fan of the original film, they won't find the same kind of entertainment in its sequel.

3/10

Advertisement