Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm still totally at a loss as to what grants/the government covers and what I'm entitled to.

I've accumulated enough days to be eligible for BTEA (I've availed of it before for a level 5 course) and I'm going to apply for it again for a level 8 through DIT, on a course I've already been accepted on. I've also applied to SUSI and I'm just waiting on the final assessment to go through after all the documentation they required was sent off.

Does SUSI cover the fees and BTEA the contribution fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

I'm still totally at a loss as to what grants/the government covers and what I'm entitled to.

I've accumulated enough days to be eligible for BTEA (I've availed of it before for a level 5 course) and I'm going to apply for it again for a level 8 through DIT, on a course I've already been accepted on. I've also applied to SUSI and I'm just waiting on the final assessment to go through after all the documentation they required was sent off.

Does SUSI cover the fees and BTEA the contribution fees?

Yeah susi will pay either the full amount or half of student contribution charge which is €3000 and if you get BTEA that's what you live off for the year in college you can't get maintence and fees paid for from susi if your getting BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

JoeR91 wrote: »
    if you get BTEA that's what you live off for the year in college you can't get maintence and fees paid for from susi if your getting BTEA

If you are in receipt of BTEA and qualify for a grant, Fees are covered if you are eligible and still in receipt of BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the degree in computer security and digital forensics at lyit (letterkenny I.T. )
    the thing is i am 56 now and would be 60 by the time i finish
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol
    i have worked in security but not in the IT sector.just retail. store detective etc

my question is? am i too old to enter the IT security computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,
    foggyn is online now Report Post

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ingrid7

foggyn wrote: »
    hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the degree in computer security and digital forensics at lyit (letterkenny I.T. )
    the thing is i am 56 now and would be 60 by the time i finish
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol
    i have worked in security but not in the IT sector.just retail. store detective etc

my question is? am i too old to enter the IT security computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,
    foggyn is online now Report Post

I don't think that you are too old.
    I know one girl who was 50 when she graduated in LYIT and then got a job in Pramerica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

sounds great. was it the IT Support course she did at lyit? i hear thats perhaps a better course?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Hi there, wondering if anyone would be able to help. So I’m looking to go back to college hopefully coming September. I’m 23 so would quialify as a Mature student. I have done two years of college but circumstances arose that forced me to drop out so no degree or anything. So wondering if there would be any available grants or schemes for me seen as I already did two years of a course. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Hi there, wondering if anyone would be able to help. So I’m looking to go back to college hopefully coming September. I’m 23 so would quialify as a Mature student. I have done two years of college but circumstances arose that forced me to drop out so no degree or anything. So wondering if there would be any available grants or schemes for me seen as I already did two years of a course. Thanks

I've gone back to college last September as a mature student as well. I'm in same boat as yourself in that I dropped out in 2015 and went back last September to start a new course.

Short answer in terms of grants via SUSI...NO. You will not qualify. You will have to stomp up every cent of the yearly €3000 fees.

I did qualify for Back to Education Allowance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    I've gone back to college last September as a mature student as well. I'm in same boat as yourself in that I dropped out in 2015 and went back last September to start a new course.

Short answer in terms of grants via SUSI...NO. You will not qualify. You will have to stomp up every cent of the yearly €3000 fees.

I did qualify for Back to Education Allowance though.

Ah what I thought 😅 I see thanks for the answer. Just with the back to education allowance, do you need to be on a social welfare payment to receive this? Thanks

Ah what I thought 😅 I see thanks for the answer. Just with the back to education allowance, do you need to be on a social welfare payment to receive this? Thanks

Generally yes but not necessarily. You apply for it if going back into education. If you're receiving a social welfare payment you will transfer to the back to Education Allowance for the period you are back in college.

SUSI funded my time in college (which was 6mths) in 2015 and I applied again for SUSI in advance of starting college last September, I submitted everything but I was not given anything because I dropped out.

Best wishes with your return to Education.

I'm really enjoying it since I've returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭GapMinder

roughly how much a week is the back to education allowance?

GapMinder wrote: »
    roughly how much a week is the back to education allowance?

It's means tested so could be anything up to the maximum of €193.00 which you get paid into the bank account.

For the summer period that you're not in college you get transferred back to social welfare payment (ie: job seekers allowance).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭GapMinder

sound thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

It depends on when you last attended the course and where you lived last October?

Second chance student can be an option if you have a 5 year gap in education since your last course.

Also, progression plays a part here as well. If you are now attending a Higher education course now having previously attended a further education course.

More information would be required about your education history with dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 back2school

I wonder if I could ask for some advice as I am feeling a bit stuck.
    I was self employed for the last 4 years and now I am not.
    All of my stamps are Class S which are useless seemingly!

I am 40 and I am going back to do a degree in college for 4 years as I have no formal eduction. I am funding the course from money I saved myself but I have no money to live off.
    I have 2 small kids also ( one with additional needs).
    My husband works and earns over the threshold for me to apply for any sort of benefits which is unfortunate.

I intend looking for a part time job to help support me but with 2 small kids I have no idea how possible that is.

From what I have read I don't qualify for any of the JobSeekers payments, BTEA or any other payments due to being previously self employed or my husband working.

I rang intreo and they told me I may be able to plead for jobseekers stamps with no payment and I would be lucky to get them.

If I got a friend to hire me temporarily for 3 months, would these 3 months of stamps help in any way?

Can anyone offer any advice or is there any other supports out there perhaps for people in my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitty89

Hi,
    just wondering do SUSI pay for only tuition fee or student contribution? I was told that only the contribution fee would be paid, just wondering why. I had lived abroad in EU and had completed level 7 course before. Doing level 8 now.

Can someone explain how this is decided? Thanks so much:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Kitty89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering do SUSI pay for only tuition fee or student contribution? I was told that only the contribution fee would be paid, just wondering why. I had lived abroad in EU and had completed level 7 course before. Doing level 8 now.

Can someone explain how this is decided? Thanks so much:):):)

They pay the 3grand iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Hi guys, this feels like a very stupid question but I don't know anybody who went back to education as a mature student and don't keep in contact many from when I was last in college. I know this forum hasn't been active in quite a while so I don't know if this will even be seen anytime soon!

I'm worried my application is too weak. I'm 24, will be 25 this year and am desperate to return to college this year. I failed exams in 2nd year and didn't return for a few reasons, money, mental health, just very unmotivated in the course I took. I went to college "go to college" and wasted a lot of time and money. Since then (2015) I've worked 3 retail jobs, still working the third, and I've been reading books and taking online courses in plenty of different areas that interest me. I'm very interested in psychology, software development/programming, languages, and a few more to be honest. I know I'd genuinely be happy to study any of these and work in those areas, but I feel like my application is so underwhelming no matter what job I apply for. My leaving cert results were decent, I got 390, but I don't know how important they are now and how much weight they hold.

So basically, my application just has my leaving cert results and the fact I failed out of college. I haven't done any PLCs or gone to any personal interest courses, I've just bought books and watched lectures online and taken small online courses, like on Udemy. The only references I can think of are two of my employers from my jobs in retail, which wouldn't have much relevance to the courses aside from helping me grow up. I'm really just banking on my statement of interest getting across how passionate I am about returning to education, learning and working towards a career. I know I'm still young in the grand scheme but I'm just very eager to get back to education this year, I've only waited until now because it's the first year I might be eligible for the SUSI grant because I can reclassify as an independent mature student.

Sorry this ended up so long! I wanted to write as short a post as possible. My main question is what sort of courses should I be applying for? Should I just apply for courses I got enough points for in my LC? Does that even matter? Will I even get invited to interview with a weak application? If you read this, thanks so much! Any advice or suggestions would be really really amazing.

Ellawr wrote: »
    Hi guys, this feels like a very stupid question but I don't know anybody who went back to education as a mature student and don't keep in contact many from when I was last in college. I know this forum hasn't been active in quite a while so I don't know if this will even be seen anytime soon!

I'm worried my application is too weak. I'm 24, will be 25 this year and am desperate to return to college this year. I failed exams in 2nd year and didn't return for a few reasons, money, mental health, just very unmotivated in the course I took. I went to college "go to college" and wasted a lot of time and money. Since then (2015) I've worked 3 retail jobs, still working the third, and I've been reading books and taking online courses in plenty of different areas that interest me. I'm very interested in psychology, software development/programming, languages, and a few more to be honest. I know I'd genuinely be happy to study any of these and work in those areas, but I feel like my application is so underwhelming no matter what job I apply for. My leaving cert results were decent, I got 390, but I don't know how important they are now and how much weight they hold.

So basically, my application just has my leaving cert results and the fact I failed out of college. I haven't done any PLCs or gone to any personal interest courses, I've just bought books and watched lectures online and taken small online courses, like on Udemy. The only references I can think of are two of my employers from my jobs in retail, which wouldn't have much relevance to the courses aside from helping me grow up. I'm really just banking on my statement of interest getting across how passionate I am about returning to education, learning and working towards a career. I know I'm still young in the grand scheme but I'm just very eager to get back to education this year, I've only waited until now because it's the first year I might be eligible for the SUSI grant because I can reclassify as an independent mature student.

Sorry this ended up so long! I wanted to write as short a post as possible. My main question is what sort of courses should I be applying for? Should I just apply for courses I got enough points for in my LC? Does that even matter? Will I even get invited to interview with a weak application? If you read this, thanks so much! Any advice or suggestions would be really really amazing.

Why are you so assured your application is a 'weak application'??

Your previous course didn't work out for a host of genuine reasons, so what. That has happened plenty of us myself included.

My story was almost identical to yours when after 2 years I dropped out of a level 8 degree programme. Spent a stint unemployed suffering from depression.

I didn't know what I wanted to do.

It sounds like you need a bit of clarity and focus on exactly what area you are truly passionate about. The the various areas of interest that you've listed are very very different so you probably need to focus in on one particular area.

What I did which was the best move I ever made was to do a PLC course in my area of interest which happened to be Marketing.

In the 9 month duration of the PLC course, I knew for definite that this was for me so I got my results from the PLC and got a direct place in third level in a level 8 degree programme in Marketing.

Now I'm planning to do a masters. The PLC gave me a brilliant foundation before moving onto third level. I'm now 32 years of age so you are so young.

Let me tell you from experience that all the interview panel want to see in the interview with you is an absolute and genuine passion and interest in the area your applying for. To be frank, they do not care about leaving cert results or dropping out of a previous course so DO NOT get hung up on that...!!

I just wonder have you a clear focus on a specific area of interest yet? If not, a PLC course in a particular area would clearly be of benefit.

PS: I did not do my leaving cert and at no stage did that ever count against me. You are the perfect age to go back to third level education.

Colleges absolutely love mature students as they all tend to be very hard working and focused and that tends to rub off on some of the younger students over time.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy going back. As a 32 year old, it has changed and transformed me going back to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Why are you so assured your application is a 'weak application'??

Your previous course didn't work out for a host of genuine reasons, so what. That has happened plenty of us myself included.

My story was almost identical to yours when after 2 years I dropped out of a level 8 degree programme. Spent a stint unemployed suffering from depression.

I didn't know what I wanted to do.

It sounds like you need a bit of clarity and focus on exactly what area you are truly passionate about. The the various areas of interest that you've listed are very very different so you probably need to focus in on one particular area.

What I did which was the best move I ever made was to do a PLC course in my area of interest which happened to be Marketing.

In the 9 month duration of the PLC course, I knew for definite that this was for me so I got my results from the PLC and got a direct place in third level in a level 8 degree programme in Marketing.

Now I'm planning to do a masters. The PLC gave me a brilliant foundation before moving onto third level. I'm now 32 years of age so you are so young.

Let me tell you from experience that all the interview panel want to see in the interview with you is an absolute and genuine passion and interest in the area your applying for. To be frank, they do not care about leaving cert results or dropping out of a previous course so DO NOT get hung up on that...!!

I just wonder have you a clear focus on a specific area of interest yet? If not, a PLC course in a particular area would clearly be of benefit.

PS: I did not do my leaving cert and at no stage did that ever count against me. You are the perfect age to go back to third level education.

Colleges absolutely love mature students as they all tend to be very hard working and focused and that tends to rub off on some of the younger students over time.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy going back. As a 32 year old, it has changed and transformed me going back to education.

This is such a wonderful response, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Seeing how well you are doing after being in a similar position to me honestly makes me feel even more confident about going back. It's a shame it took me so long to actually /want/ to learn and study but I feel like a different person to when I was last in college.

You hit the nail on the head about not having one set area. I've bought psychology books from the recommended reading in psychology courses and loved that. I'm learning about programming and I'm on my second coding language, and loving that. Same with the languages, when I was learning Japanese I loved that too. I think that's the biggest problem. It's honestly psychology and software development that I'm torn between. I've just been so obsessed with going back to 3rd level this year.

My plan was to apply to courses in psychology and coding, but I realise now I probably do need to limit it down to one. I spent over an hour last night trying to get across how passionate I am about both and my experience with both but there's just not enough room, it's clearly intended for people who have one select career path. It's just very hard to do that when I am genuinely interested in both.

I just feel like the application is weak because I don't have any courses to show and it's my statement of interest alone that I'm banking on. I also have no idea what courses I can apply to, for example I obviously wouldn't get psychology in TCD so it would be a waste to apply. I can't gauge which courses I'd be more likely to get into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I just feel like the application is weak because I don't have any courses to show and it's my statement of interest alone that I'm banking on. I also have no idea what courses I can apply to, for example I obviously wouldn't get psychology in TCD so it would be a waste to apply. I can't gauge which courses I'd be more likely to get into

Don't worry about not having courses to show for it. My application had a list of the places I dropped out of, but I went back and did an arts undergrad and later a masters. Never did any interview.
    And don't sell yourself short about TCD. If you think that is the place for you, apply for it. Don't let it's history or reputation scare you.

As mentioned, Psychology and Comp Sci are two very different fields, so I'd suggest that you go to various college sites and look at the breakdown of each option over the years.
    EG This is Psychology in UCD - anything marked CORE is mandatory

This is Comp Sci.

There are other versions in UCD, such as comp sci with Data Science, or Psychology taken as part of Arts. However, if you take Psychology as part of arts, it can be difficult to move into pure Psychology at a later date.

Check out the other college websites and see if you can get something similar to the breakdown. You might start reading the descriptions and find it isn't as interesting as you might have thought.
    Also, remember that year 1 is all about the basics, so if you've been studying, it may not sound all that inspiring.

This is such a wonderful response, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Seeing how well you are doing after being in a similar position to me honestly makes me feel even more confident about going back. It's a shame it took me so long to actually /want/ to learn and study but I feel like a different person to when I was last in college.

You hit the nail on the head about not having one set area. I've bought psychology books from the recommended reading in psychology courses and loved that. I'm learning about programming and I'm on my second coding language, and loving that. Same with the languages, when I was learning Japanese I loved that too. I think that's the biggest problem. It's honestly psychology and software development that I'm torn between. I've just been so obsessed with going back to 3rd level this year.

My plan was to apply to courses in psychology and coding, but I realise now I probably do need to limit it down to one. I spent over an hour last night trying to get across how passionate I am about both and my experience with both but there's just not enough room, it's clearly intended for people who have one select career path. It's just very hard to do that when I am genuinely interested in both.

Most if not all courses in third level colleges and institutes have a set number of places allocated to mature students.

Alot of mature students apply and are granted places based not on leaving certificate results as alot of mature students (myself included) do not have a leaving certificate. Ditto previous courses completed.

As a mature student applicant, you are NOT assessed based on leaving cert or previous courses completed or not completed.

You are assessed based on your statement and interview and from previous experience and feedback from one or two interview panelists, the interview panel simply want to see:

1. A clear passion, focus and interest from the applicant for the area.

2. A clear understanding of what the course entails, lecture houses, understanding of course modules. Study this before the interview....!!

The last poster is bang on the money, do not look at TCD or UCD as colleges that you cannot attent because of past history.

Every college now has to allocate a set percentage of places on all courses for mature students.

Don't doubt yourself, establish your two key focus courses, put in a good statement, relax and show your passion and understanding for the courses at the interview and you'll be certain of a place. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seunny

Hello
    Please how can apply as Mature to TCD and UCD ?
    Thanks
    Most if not all courses in third level colleges and institutes have a set number of places allocated to mature students.

Alot of mature students apply and are granted places based not on leaving certificate results as alot of mature students (myself included) do not have a leaving certificate. Ditto previous courses completed.

As a mature student applicant, you are NOT assessed based on leaving cert or previous courses completed or not completed.

You are assessed based on your statement and interview and from previous experience and feedback from one or two interview panelists, the interview panel simply want to see:

1. A clear passion, focus and interest from the applicant for the area.

2. A clear understanding of what the course entails, lecture houses, understanding of course modules. Study this before the interview....!!

The last poster is bang on the money, do not look at TCD or UCD as colleges that you cannot attent because of past history.

Every college now has to allocate a set percentage of places on all courses for mature students.

Don't doubt yourself, establish your two key focus courses, put in a good statement, relax and show your passion and understanding for the courses at the interview and you'll be certain of a place. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Very good information. Thanks for sharing it

Advertisement