Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish FPL podcast

Options
  • 23-10-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/RenegadesFpl/status/1186984459423440902?s=19

Hi guys, we are a relatively new Irish FPL podcast. It is a weekly mix of stats, chat & nonsense. There are 3 of us, who all play a stats based game but do not take ourselves too seriously as you will hear if you give it a go.

Just looking to spread the pod/ get some feedback & here seems like a solid place to start 🙏

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Who is "kevin the brian"? :)

Liked the point you made about XG not being impacted if the ball doesn't reach someone, like if it goes over their head or whatever.

Rated and subbed, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Who is "kevin the brian"? :)

Liked the point you made about XG not being impacted if the ball doesn't reach someone, like if it goes over their head or whatever.

Rated and subbed, keep up the good work!

Cheers null. 'Kevin the brain' is an apt name for him all the same 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sweet. Gonna give this a listen to tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

Thanks, have added to favorites, will listen later.

Good Pod guys, a mix of the loose unstructured approach of Planet FPL with some nice stats like FPL Surgery/ Who got the Assist sprinkled in.

Great to see an Irish Pod making a good fist of it.

One/all of ye should go to the Christmas party in Marylebone London https://goo.gl/maps/d1Hzc56khkSjrAdz8 you get a lot of the other FPL Pod producers going to it and it's a very quick way for you to get your names out there and grow the pod. It's on Friday the 13th of December from 6pm onwards.

It's much harder to handle the talking over each other with three people so you might want to keep that in mind. (Not saying to call someones name and let them talk exclusively as you can lose a lot of spontaneity and craic from bouncing off each others thoughts.)

I'm not sure where Kirks was sitting but his voice was dropping in and out a bit at times, not sure if a better mike/different seating arrangement might help with this.

Non related: I hope Kirks appreciates the choice in whiskey Redbreast is very nice. That was an abrupt departure Willy! :) Is Kirks in 700 odd place ? That's a hero of an OR, particularly for this mad season.

• Advertisement

Colking wrote: »
    Good Pod guys, a mix of the loose unstructured approach of Planet FPL with some nice stats like FPL Surgery/ Who got the Assist sprinkled in.

Great to see an Irish Pod making a good fist of it.

One/all of ye should go to the Christmas party in Marylebone London https://goo.gl/maps/d1Hzc56khkSjrAdz8 you get a lot of the other FPL Pod producers going to it and it's a very quick way for you to get your names out there and grow the pod. It's on Friday the 13th of December from 6pm onwards.

It's much harder to handle the talking over each other with three people so you might want to keep that in mind. (Not saying to call someones name and let them talk exclusively as you can lose a lot of spontaneity and craic from bouncing off each others thoughts.)

I'm not sure where Kirks was sitting but his voice was dropping in and out a bit at times, not sure if a better mike/different seating arrangement might help with this.

Non related: I hope Kirks appreciates the choice in whiskey Redbreast is very nice. That was an abrupt departure Willy! :) Is Kirks in 700 odd place ? That's a hero of an OR, particularly for this mad season.

Thanks for the feedback Col, appreciated.

We've been going a while now and are all solid FPL managers but the podding bit is still very new so will look to make tweaks as we go.

Yeah we are going for the spontaneous talking about football down the pub with your mates approach so it can be a bit hectic at times. Puts some off but most of our listeners and Twitter followers seem to enjoy the mayhem of it.

Our thing is that we get a new bottle of whisky every week and see what happens while recording so any whisky recommendations are appreciated also.

Yes Kirks is 700 odd atm. We are named after him as he is a Renegade in FPL terms but that seems to be working for him the last few seasons.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Enjoyed it but sound was a bit low at times for Kirks. Alot of what was said is how I feel/thought of this season so far so was easy to relate. Just wondering which sites ye are using for the stats/underlying numbers out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Been listening for 5/6 weeks now. Great stuff. Sound lads

Enjoyed it but sound was a bit low at times for Kirks. Alot of what was said is how I feel/thought of this season so far so was easy to relate. Just wondering which sites ye are using for the stats/underlying numbers out of interest?

Will get on to Kirks to speak up which should be easy for him with his lofty OR.

We all use different sites which is why there is sometimes a small discrepancy between us with our xG stats etc. A mix of Scout, Understat, Whoscored, Transfermarkt among others.

Our thing is that we get a new bottle of whisky every week and see what happens while recording so any whisky recommendations are appreciated also.

Very good. Could ye shout out the Whiskey you're trying that week and give it a mark out of 10 each about half way through the pod ? (should give ye a bit of time to form an opinion)

Some recommendations from me:

Irish

Sub €40 range : (might need to shop around to get them all under the €40)
      Irishman Founders Reserve (Recommendation from another person on Boards recently and I have to say it's a nice drop)
      Jameson Black Barrel : Starting to go up in price and this is one you might need to look around for to get it under €40 (O'Briens Sale job should do the trick) Its very good taste/value ratio
      Jameson Crested Whiskey : This used to be advertised as Crested 10, it's very nice for the price.
      Connemara Peated Malt: The only commercially distributed peated/smoky Irish Whiskey (that I know of, more like a whisky) not for everyone as it can come across strong but I like it a lot

Sub €100 range :
      Redbreast 12 Year Old : This is probably the one you guys had on this Pod?
      Green Spot : Nice drop
      Green Spot, Chateau Leoville Barton : Finished in French Oak Wine Barrels (bit more expensive)
      Yellow Spot 12 Year Old : Very Tasty

• Advertisement

Unfortunately couldn’t listen to the recent podcast (first one I tried) because of the different level of volume for each voice.

Two are fairly similar,which is good, but the other guy was too low. I could turn it up loud enough to hear him but then you guys were far too loud.

I listen through speakers so not sure how the guys on earphones are getting on.

I think it’s really important to have all voice volumes equal and for people (not necessarily you guys) not to be making noise with pens or cups or sweets or paper or whatever ****e people be messing on podcasts.

If you get the volume levels, for all 3 voices, the same then I would listen to it.

Unfortunately couldn’t listen to the recent podcast (first one I tried) because of the different level of volume for each voice.

Two are fairly similar,which is good, but the other guy was too low. I could turn it up loud enough to hear him but then you guys were far too loud.

I listen through speakers so not sure how the guys on earphones are getting on.

I think it’s really important to have all voice volumes equal and for people (not necessarily you guys) not to be making noise with pens or cups or sweets or paper or whatever ****e people be messing on podcasts.

If you get the volume levels, for all 3 voices, the same then I would listen to it.

Cheers Klopp. Our pod definitely isn't for the audiophiles atm. We always record in the same room as each other and with 3 of us it can be tricky.

This is just a hobby for the 3 of us and at the moment is an excuse for us to meet up, have a few drinks & talk FPL. Hoping the FPL content and entertainment value is enough for some to listen to us. But agree that the sound may put some off.

Hope to make tweaks with it as we go and if it continues to grow hopefully invest more time & maybe money into it but for now it is what it is.

Appreciate the constructive feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Cheers Klopp. Our pod definitely isn't for the audiophiles atm. We always record in the same room as each other and with 3 of us it can be tricky.

This is just a hobby for the 3 of us and at the moment is an excuse for us to meet up, have a few drinks & talk FPL. Hoping the FPL content and entertainment value is enough for some to listen to us. But agree that the sound may put some off.

Hope to make tweaks with it as we go and if it continues to grow hopefully invest more time & maybe money into it but for now it is what it is.

Appreciate the constructive feedback though.

Shouldn’t be too hard to structure the sound to have ye all at the same volume. Ensure that each mic is in its own channel on the desk and assign someone weather it’s one of ye or an outsider to monitor the master through headphones of course and adjust each channel as needed. Monitor the volume lights on the inputs to ensure they are level also.

Might be worth the 3 of ye doing the show wearing headphones through the desk. If you can’t hear what one of the other hosts is saying the listeners won’t be able too also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

You were looking for the opposite to big at the back in the last episode
    Given it's an irish podcast how about "beag at the back"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Start listening about 6 weeks ago when my rank was about 4.6m. Now my rank is about 1.3m. Must be a coincidence

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Start listening about 6 weeks ago when my rank was about 4.6m. Now my rank is about 1.3m. Must be a coincidence

If you apply the 'listen and do the opposite of what we say strategy' I can see how that would work...... :D

Ha no that is good to hear and thanks for listening. If only I could do that to my own rank this season......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ye have to do a Poch/Mourinho update for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Which one are you Maravilla?
    8 top 50k in a row is seriously impressive

Really enjoying it, as someone who watches no soccer I appreciate the stats base

Edit: I’m looking at a -8 but I reckon I need Lucas and Jesus to score 12+ to make it worth my while - thoughts

Personally I think Jesus could haul that on his tod

Green&Red wrote: »
    Which one are you Maravilla?
    8 top 50k in a row is seriously impressive

Really enjoying it, as someone who watches no soccer I appreciate the stats base

Edit: I’m looking at a -8 but I reckon I need Lucas and Jesus to score 12+ to make it worth my while - thoughts

Personally I think Jesus could haul that on his tod

Cheers much appreciated.

I am Drew. Forget Willy and his top 50ks. That's me below.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/1138/history

I've never taken a -8 but seriously considering it this week. Need something to kickstart my season. Who would you be taking out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

Cheers much appreciated.

I am Drew. Forget Willy and his top 50ks. That's me below.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/1138/history

I've never taken a -8 but seriously considering it this week. Need something to kickstart my season. Who would you be taking out?

Digne would be the first I would change with the fixtures for Everton over the next few weeks. He always had the chance of attacking returns last season but just has not produced the same this season and Everton seem to have lost their form a bit as well.

Ur sums need some work so if ur top 5 were meant to be less than his best finish!

I’m embarrassed to say Ozil

And Tammy, so it’s all hypothetical based on his injury news

Ah top 4 comfortably are and top 5 not a million miles off. Was just exaggerating a wee bit to get him to bite...

Yeah I'm holding tight on Tammy till we hear more. 4 of next 6 being nice home games.

Jesus and Lucas are an interesting pair. Could comfortably make you back those pts this weekend alone or could be meh. I'd lean towards the former.

macraignil wrote: »
    Digne would be the first I would change with the fixtures for Everton over the next few weeks. He always had the chance of attacking returns last season but just has not produced the same this season and Everton seem to have lost their form a bit as well.

Yep Digne is gone. Held him too long and Norwich was his last hurrah whatever he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yep Digne is gone. Held him too long and Norwich was his last hurrah whatever he did.

His creativity is still there. There's just nobody putting his plays into the net. They desperately need a proper striker.

dsmythy wrote: »
    His creativity is still there. There's just nobody putting his plays into the net. They desperately need a proper striker.

Agree 100% and been saying it all season. With the fixtures turning and Everton being so blunt he has to go.

Maravilla, really liking the pod, it and FML FPL are my top two pods at the minute

One of ye is a villa fan, what's ur thoughts on a villa defender, I'm looking at El Mahamody if he'd keep his spot, if not then Konsa, he's started the last five. Thoughts on that?

My plan is to shift TAA for one of these next week, with a view to getting Salah the following week, hence why I can't stretch to Targett.

I have a theory, Liverpool are the best team in europe at the minute, I think they'll come home from the world cup and go all out to have the league almost wrapped up before the CL returns. I expect some big performances between now and February 18th, in particular that game versus leicester.
    So I'm planning on doubling up on Mane & Salah

• Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As a Villa fan who is nothing to do with this pod, neither Elmohamady or Konsa are in the prime lineup when everyone is fit.

The 4 lads you should expect to finish the season with the most starts are Guilbert, Targett, Mings, Engels.

Konsa may keep his place while Mings is out, but there is talk of Hause replacing Mings because he is naturally left sided, and Engels is better than Konsa so should take that place eventually.

Elmohamady is alot more limited than Guilbert.

Is Guilbert not injured?

Also why is Konsa making the team at the moment? Engels came on for Mings, was he injured prior to this or just dropped? I’m guessing the weekend could answer some of these
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Green&Red wrote: »
    Is Guilbert not injured?

Also why is Konsa making the team at the moment? Engels came on for Mings, was he injured prior to this or just dropped? I’m guessing the weekend could answer some of these
    Cheers

Engels was injured and Smith appears to have a policy of making players earn back/lose their place in the team, which was also why Elmohamady kept his spot against Leicester. This was a mistake and I would expect Guilbert to be back in on Saturday. CB is less clear while Mings is out but I’d be shocked if Engels wasn’t 1 of the 2.

Advertisement