Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic flooring,

• 28-04-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello, Going to fit tongue and groove board in the attic, ( 8ft x 2ft OSB board 18mm) what size/type of screw needed to fit these, thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

4/40mm screws, and drill a 4 mm hole in the OSB for each screw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

sam ford wrote: »
    Hello, Going to fit tongue and groove board in the attic, ( 8ft x 2ft OSB board 18mm) what size/type of screw needed to fit these, thanks in advance,

Use a countersink drill bit for neatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sam ford

thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Looking at this thread as might attempt same.

What is the best advice on insulating below the the t&g boards?
    There is small section of the attic that has this thick grey foam about 100mm with boards on top of it but that was done a decade ago by attic insulation company.

Is it ok to lay normal osb board over the rockwool insulation between joists I want to cover on this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Looking at this thread as might attempt same.

What is the best advice on insulating below the the t&g boards?
    There is small section of the attic that has this thick grey foam about 100mm with boards on top of it but that was done a decade ago by attic insulation company.

Is it ok to lay normal osb board over the rockwool insulation between joists I want to cover on this project?

the boards with the 100mm insulation attached are probably a walkway to your cold water storage tank , part l of the building regulations TGDS require a U value of 0.16 which equates to 300mm of rock wool /fibre glass type insulation . this means that you have to put a layer of insulation above the joists and use either loft legs https://www.toolstation.com/loft-flooring-legs/p44016 or use a second joist running perpendicular to the ones that are already there, before you put your new flooring down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks Daithi, I am not too concerned with building regulations and that. I am only doing it in my own attic. Would think that's exempt from regulations no?

Would the rolls of wool insulation deflate / depress over time if left under a few sheets of OSB board? Is there a reason the hard grey stuff was used by the insulation company years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Thanks Daithi, I am not too concerned with building regulations and that. I am only doing it in my own attic. Would think that's exempt from regulations no?

Would the rolls of wool insulation deflate / depress over time if left under a few sheets of OSB board? Is there a reason the hard grey stuff was used by the insulation company years ago?

1 no . no one is exempt from the building regulations as they are backed by statutory instruments ie. they are law of the land. it doesn't matter if you do the work yourself or hire someone you still need to comply
    2 as i said in first post the "hard grey stuff" is used as walkway to cold water storage tank
    taken from partL building regulations TGD appendix b

Providing for access to tanks, services
    and fittings in the roofspace
    Because the depth of insulation will obscure
    the location of ceiling joists, provision should
    be made for access from the access hatch to
    the cold water tank and to other fittings to
    which access for occasional maintenance
    and servicing may be required. This can be
    done by provision of walkways without
    compressing the installed insulation or by the
    use of high density insulation under the