Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-10-2019, 18:17   #136
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
Missed the point no. Just pointing out those naysayers of The Game Changers are meat advocates i.e. biased.The movie is based on scientific facts - objective peer reviewed science.
Of course since it's espousing a plant-based diet it's sponsored by a plant-based company. You wouldn't find a movie espousing atheism sponsored by the Catholic Church.
But you do miss the point. The review of the Film by Mens Health included a single 'quote ' from someone who (allegedly) works in the beef industry. That does not make MH 'meat advocates' btw. To back that up - they acknowledged the criticism and removed the quote. Check the editors note for yourself! The article even points out that MH supports veganism and publishers pro vegan lifestyle articles!

But to put it plainly - one of the main issues is simply that- the movie is a movie - produced by Holywood actors / directors and backed by wealthy commercial plant food investment interests ie a biased film. It is also evident that much of the 'science' is not presented in a balanced way and uses a bunch of Observational studies touting small effects which are known to cause a high risk of error and selection bias.

Interesting though that you think it ok for the vested commercial interests in the plant food industy to create and push this film - yet call those who used a single quote (which was removed btw) 'naysayers'and 'meat advocates' and dont see the inherent bias! Odd that no?

Last edited by gozunda; 19-10-2019 at 19:00.
gozunda is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2019, 18:53   #137
jh79
Registered User
 
jh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
Missed the point no. Just pointing out those naysayers of The Game Changers are meat advocates i.e. biased.
The movie is based on scientific facts - objective peer reviewed science.
Of course since it's espousing a plant-based diet it's sponsored by a plant-based company. You wouldn't find a movie espousing atheism sponsored by the Catholic Church.
The movie is an interpretation of scientific evidence, it is not presenting "scientific facts".

The movie producers havn't produced any new evidence and there hasn't been any new evidence published that shows wholly plant based diet is better than a balanced diet with meat and dairy.

Just some promotional video to help James Cameron's new business venture

Last edited by jh79; 19-10-2019 at 19:38.
jh79 is offline  
19-10-2019, 19:20   #138
auspicious
Registered User
 
auspicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh79 View Post
The movie is an interpretation of scientific evidence, it is not presenting "scientific facts".

The movie producers havn't produced any new evidence and there hasn't been any new evidence published that shows wholly plant based diet us better than a balanced diet with neat and dairy.

Just some promotional video to help James Cameron's new business venture
I accept the word evidence is more satisfactory than facts.
auspicious is offline  
19-10-2019, 19:42   #139
jh79
Registered User
 
jh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
I accept the word evidence is more satisfactory than facts.
So is there any new scientifc evidence in the movie? What evidence does it have different than Forks Over Knives?
jh79 is offline  
19-10-2019, 19:58   #140
auspicious
Registered User
 
auspicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,015
I wouldn't know. I've never seen forks over knives.
I was contesting the fact that the 'good review' from Men's Health offered by gozunda was biased. The article is by Paul Kita whom has two meat based books published. MH has since backtracked on a couple of issues so it's a non-starter.
auspicious is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2019, 20:57   #141
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
I wouldn't know. I've never seen forks over knives.
I was contesting the fact that the 'good review' from Men's Health offered by gozunda was biased. The article is by Paul Kita whom has two meat based books published. MH has since backtracked on a couple of issues so it's a non-starter.
I believe what you mean is that you think the review was 'biased' - not that you are 'contesting' it. But no worries I get what you are saying.

I do like the rather hilarious take on the author. The article is written by Paul Kita who has written two regular Cookbooks, which like most regular cookbooks contain a range of recipes and are not 'meat based books' lol.

Heres a review of one of them just for reference!

https://i.imgflip.com/3ds6am.jpg

Anyhow back to the article! Whilst MH removed the controversial quote from Dr Roussell (PhD) - this is the present state of play as MH has not 'backtracked' This is what the editor states.

[Quote]The debate continues! James Loomis, M.D., former team physician for the St. Louis Rams and St. Louis Cardinals, who appears in The Game Changers, has written a rebuttal to this piece. We respect Loomis’ opinion, but we stand by our reporting and analysis of the film.

Last edited by gozunda; 19-10-2019 at 21:39.
gozunda is offline  
19-10-2019, 21:22   #142
auspicious
Registered User
 
auspicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,015
I worded it quite fine thank-you.
As ever you're typically disingenuous.
No need for you to have the last word. I'm out.
auspicious is offline  
19-10-2019, 21:32   #143
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
I worded it quite fine thank-you. As ever you're typically disingenuous. No need for you to have the last word. I'm out.
Hmmm - you say I'm 'disingenuous' and yet bizarrely claim a couple of regular cookbooks as being 'meat based books'. Last word or no yup maybe best give it a break. Bye .
gozunda is offline  
19-10-2019, 22:26   #144
auspicious
Registered User
 
auspicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,015
Something in the back of my mind told me to reread.
So I worded that part incorrectly and you were not disingenuous, on this occasion.
Fair enough.
auspicious is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2019, 16:30   #145
loveisdivine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,393
We really enjoyed Game Changers. It really shows that there's not just one way of being super fit and healthy, it doesn't have to be tonnes of animal protein and whey etc.

My dad ditched dairy a few months ago and lost a good bit of weight, lower cholesterol etc and has basically been feeling great from it. So I recommended this doc as he was still adamant that animal protein was superior to plant and low and behold he emailed immediately after watching to say he's going meat free! I know he'll never be fully vegan, but just ditching the meat and dairy is so huge for him.

It's purely health based for him, but I'm so pleased
loveisdivine is offline  
Thanks from:
09-12-2019, 20:15   #146
TheFortField
Registered User
 
TheFortField's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 341
I’m just wondering if any of the regulars here watched or listened to Joe Rogan’s “Game Changers” debate and if you did... what did you think of it?



I am not a fan of Chris Kresser, I’ve listened to some of his previous contributions to the Joe Rogan podcast and wasn’t impressed. However, I ended up feeling sorry for him. James Wilks destroyed him during the (very one-sided debate) and Rogan who has been very critical of vegan diets abandoned Kresser and joined Team Wilks.

I can understand that James Wilks is very proud of his documentary and he has the right to defend its content but I felt he was overly aggressive and rude. In the end I felt Kresser was bullied and humiliated. I found the programme somewhat disturbing. I am very passionate about about the whole food plant based diet (it has completely transformed my life for the better) but I feel James will turn people off.

I would love if Joe Rogan invited Dr Greger on the show, unlike Wilks and Kressler he is actually qualified to speak about nutrition.

Last edited by TheFortField; 09-12-2019 at 20:55.
TheFortField is offline  
09-12-2019, 20:27   #147
Unearthly
Registered User
 
Unearthly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,134
Chris talked crap about his documentary for about 4 hours and was rightfully called out on it.

He needed to be firm and aggressive or it would have ended up a 2 v 1 bashing. Joel kahn has a very nice friendly demeanor and Chris + Joe took advantage of that but not with James Wilks
Unearthly is offline  
09-12-2019, 20:50   #148
TheFortField
Registered User
 
TheFortField's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 341
I agree that Chris (& Rogan) were allowed to talk crap about plant based diets for far too long and it was time to challenge them. However, James played the man and not the ball. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy humiliating Chris. I think his behaviour was dickish.
TheFortField is offline  
09-12-2019, 21:38   #149
jh79
Registered User
 
jh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFortField View Post

I would love if Joe Rogan invited Dr Greger on the show, unlike Wilks and Kressler he is actually qualified to speak about nutrition.
This Dr Greger?

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/dea...e-by-veganism/
jh79 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-12-2019, 12:47   #150
KSU
Registered User
 
KSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFortField View Post
I’m just wondering if any of the regulars here watched or listened to Joe Rogan’s “Game Changers” debate and if you did... what did you think of it?



I am not a fan of Chris Kresser, I’ve listened to some of his previous contributions to the Joe Rogan podcast and wasn’t impressed. However, I ended up feeling sorry for him. James Wilks destroyed him during the (very one-sided debate) and Rogan who has been very critical of vegan diets abandoned Kresser and joined Team Wilks.

I can understand that James Wilks is very proud of his documentary and he has the right to defend its content but I felt he was overly aggressive and rude. In the end I felt Kresser was bullied and humiliated. I found the programme somewhat disturbing. I am very passionate about about the whole food plant based diet (it has completely transformed my life for the better) but I feel James will turn people off.

I would love if Joe Rogan invited Dr Greger on the show, unlike Wilks and Kressler he is actually qualified to speak about nutrition.
Do you not see the glaring issue with this debate, he continually side stepped his issue with meat and never answered the question.

Kresser definitely cocked up but Wilks simply aggressively talking him down with the Forest Plots statement even when he was making valid points.
KSU is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet