Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star trek voyager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Valid point. I haven't seen her in anything else. They over sexed her with the outfit. She collapsed the first time due to lack of circulation. You are right about not allowing her to develop .
    There was a story that Janeway hated her .jeri

So many actors, so many egos!

But the same could be said for most shows, and just off the top of my head there was the tension between George Peppard and Mr T on the A-Team or Mark Harmon and Pauley Perrette on NCIS.

Each actor will try and carve out their own niche and develop their own fanbase. Some massive differences between Mulgrew and Ryan. Of course there was going to be issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

I think I read somewhere that Brannon Braga wasn't a Garret Wang fan and just left him where he was from a character point of view.
    He was supposed to be the one dropped when Seven came aboard. What saved him was being listed as one of Time Magazine's most beautiful people so Kes got the boot instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Evade wrote: »
    He was supposed to be the one dropped when Seven came aboard. What saved him was being listed as one of Time Magazine's most beautiful people so Kes got the boot instead.

Wow, that's surprising...

I always assumed that Kes' removal was due to her being by far the most useless character...who herself was barely used.

Although they managed to carve out a sort of a role for Neelix on the show, they never succeeded for Kes I feel. After her appearance as a plot-device in the pilot, she didn't seem to have a role (beyond being Neelix's girlfriend) until they cooked up a sub-plot about her being the The Doctor's assistent. But they sort of dropped that too. Before long, she barely had any lines at all beyond the odd episode that focused on her.

The fact that her relationship with Neelix came to an end off-screen, kind of goes to show how little they seemed to care about her character development (or even Neelix's).

As a bridge officer Harry did make more sense on a Starfleet vessel than Kes. But yes, they did barely use him beyond his friendship with Tom (which was in fairness, not that badly done).

I couldn't help but notice that in the later seasons they'd started to use him to awkwardly bleat out the word "Sex!!" whenever the script called for it. No-one else in the cast appeared to be doing this (they tended to be more subtile). I always found it to be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »

I always assumed that Kes' removal was due to her being by far the most useless character...who herself was barely used.
    They seemed to be in the early stages of a Kes-Neelix-Tom love triangle which could have been interesting and could have let Harry finally have non court martialable sex (although it would have been with a two year old so maybe not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So many actors, so many egos!

Each actor will try and carve out their own niche and develop their own fanbase. Some massive differences between Mulgrew and Ryan. Of course there was going to be issues.
    The biggest problem on the show, like TNG, was the messing around that went on late at night! Russ in particular was a practical joker. The Mulgrew Ryan thing seemed to grow out of a perception that Mulgrew had about what female characters in the show should be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rawr wrote: »

Although they managed to carve out a sort of a role for Neelix on the show, they never succeeded for Kes I feel. After her appearance as a plot-device in the pilot, she didn't seem to have a role (beyond being Neelix's girlfriend) until they cooked up a sub-plot about her being the The Doctor's assistent. But they sort of dropped that too. Before long, she barely had any lines at all beyond the odd episode that focused on her.

The fact that her relationship with Neelix came to an end off-screen, kind of goes to show how little they seemed to care about her character development (or even Neelix's).

As a bridge officer Harry did make more sense on a Starfleet vessel than Kes. But yes, they did barely use him beyond his friendship with Tom (which was in fairness, not that badly done).

I couldn't help but notice that in the later seasons they'd started to use him to awkwardly bleat out the word "Sex!!" whenever the script called for it. No-one else in the cast appeared to be doing this (they tended to be more subtile). I always found it to be weird.
    I think there are multiple reasons for Kes going. First I think they'd run out of story for her. There are also the rumours of issues with the showrunners and she was having reactions to some of the prosthetics. Finally they needed a reboot after too long with the damned Kazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I thought Kes broke up with Neelix when the alien warlord took over her body? Must go and rewatch that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Inviere wrote: »
    More than just a story

Aaaahhh bless him! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Kes was a boring character. And she shouldn't have been with her mental powers. And Neelix/Kes bit awkward to watch when you realise she's like 2-3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

sunbeam wrote: »
    I thought Kes broke up with Neelix when the alien warlord took over her body? Must go and rewatch that...

Yeah on my last watch of the show, that's pretty much what happened. The Alien Warlord did the breaking up while inhabiting Kes, but once gone, Kes and Neelix didn't get back together. It was handled arseways, like a lot of stuff on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah on my last watch of the show, that's pretty much what happened. The Alien Warlord did the breaking up while inhabiting Kes, but once gone, Kes and Neelix didn't get back together. It was handled arseways, like a lot of stuff on the show.

They should have that as a quote on the back of Voyager DVDs :P

Advertisement