Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2019, 09:59   #46
splinter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnABike View Post
Maintenance can be attached to earnings so that it is automatically taken from income at source, especially if there is a history of missing payments.

Alternatively maintenance can be directed to be paid through the district court office. If payments are not made the court service will issue a summons on the defaulter.
Neither of these things ever happen.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2019, 10:10   #47
BuboBubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter65 View Post
You never needed a fathers name on a birth cert.
And unfortunately sometimes the mother doesn't know who the father of the child is

My own dad was very hands-off, as were his parents. But my brother is very hands-on with his 3 kids. Things have changed drastically over the past 20 years, and that's a really good thing.
25-03-2019, 11:26   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnABike View Post

Maintenance can be attached to earnings so that it is automatically taken from income at source, especially if there is a history of missing payments.

Alternatively maintenance can be directed to be paid through the district court office. If payments are not made the court service will issue a summons on the defaulter.

Phew - that's grand so, evidently there's absolutely no problem in Ireland with single mothers not receiving maintenance payments from their sperm donors!

Many thanks for putting us right on that one!
25-03-2019, 14:23   #49
sexmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter65 View Post
Neither of these things ever happen.
False, they do and I've seen them happen.

You should correct your statement to "Neither of these have happened in a case I have heard of"
02-04-2019, 16:09   #50
rebelwithcause

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexmag View Post
Well being a person who's been through the courts I've seen many people jailed for not paying maintenance and for denying access so it happens but again that doesn't suit your agenda there now does it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bre...ce-826118.html

Really?? Many people jailed?? There was only 1 person jailed in 2017 for not paying maintenance, yet over 400 for not paying a TV licence.

Attachment of earnings means multiple trips to court and also knowing the Father's employer. If he changes employer, the order is null and void. On the other hand, revenue can stop property tax directly from employers without a court order and doesn't need to attach it solely to one employer.

Oh and under the Civil Registration Act 2014, unmarried Mother's must name Father's. Even prior to this though, 80% of Father's names were on birth certs of children born to unmarried parents.

Makes you wonder, how we can have a more efficient collection system for TV licences and property tax. Anyone would think we don't care about children as much as property tax.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 14:57   #51
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
In fairness, the father was there when it really mattered to him, i.e. when he was achieving orgasm. The subsequent offspring was merely an incidental by-product of the act and thus of no real concern to him.
fairness to whom?
26-06-2019, 15:09   #52
cgcsb

Just seen this thread here and reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend recently. I live in Dublin and here it's pretty standard that you'd see dads cycling with their kids on their bikes or in an attached carriage. You'd often see dads going around with baby strapped to his front or dads pushing prams around.

I lived in the midlands for 2 years, and not once in that time did I ever see a male person even push a pram. I suspect the answer is economic. In areas where it is financially feasible for a family to operate on a single income, you'll get a clear and total separation of domestic roles. In Dublin, the middle classes must have 2 working parents, thus all work is shared.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion